Say hello to summer vibes in London. From rooftop parties and outdoor cinemas to picnics in the park, experience the summer months like a real Londoner with our ultimate insider’s guide!
The great outdoors
- Grab a blanket and a bottle of fizz, and join Londoners as they head to the city’s leafy parks when the sun shines. Enjoy a picnic and have a go on a pedalo in Hyde Park, or wander among the resident deer in Richmond Park.
- When the mercury rises, take a dip in one of the city’s azure-blue lidos or venture north for a swim with leafy views in Hampstead Heath.
- Snuggle up during a summer film at one of London’s great outdoor cinemas, from hip hangouts across the city with Rooftop Film Club to The Luna Cinema’s iconic venues.
- Enjoy some of Shakespeare’s most acclaimed plays in the summer sun, as Shakespeare’s Globe theatre hosts its much-loved Summer Season. It’s a bargain, too, with tickets costing as little as a fiver! Until 13 Oct
Summer food and drink in London
- Feast on tacos and giant frozen Margaritas at one of the hottest themed rooftop bars in town: Las Mexicanas at Queen of Hoxton. Inspired by San Cristóbal in Mexico, this year’s pop-up also includes Mexican (arm) wrestling, quirky events and all-day parties. Until Oct
- Love a good food market? Sink your teeth into street grub and order a glass of Pimm’s at one of the city’s coolest outdoor markets – try locals’ favourites Mercato Metropolitano, Dinerama, Pop Brixton or Maltby Street Market.
- Head to some of the city’s best rooftop bars for sunset drinks with killer views, from laidback Frank’s Cafe atop a multistorey car park in Peckham to classy Sushisamba City in a London skyscraper.
For the 'gram
- Soak up knockout views of the capital from the city’s newest roof terrace: The Garden at 120, filled with picture-pretty wisteria, wildflowers and water features.
- Walk up Primrose Hill for sweeping views of Regent’s Park and the London skyline. For the perfect shot, don’t miss the William Blake quote edged into the stone at the top: “I have conversed with the spiritual sun. I saw him on Primrose Hill.”
Life by the water
- Fill your Instagram feed with snaps of Little Venice’s charming canals. Stroll along the Regent’s Canal towards Camden and Regent’s Park, or float down the waterways on a canal boat.
- Chill out in the sunshine at one of the hip drinking spots close to Camden Lock. If you’re feeling peckish, browse the tasty bites on offer at Camden Market’s food stalls.
- Soak up the sun and wave at passers-by while cruising down some of London’s canals in a hot tub with HotTug. That’s right, a floating hot tub!
- Unleash your adventurous side and explore Hammersmith or Richmond during a stand-up paddleboarding session on the river Thames.
- Sip on a craft beer from Hackney’s trendy canal-side microbrewery Crate, or head to one of the riverside pubs and bars lining the South Bank, including the Queen Elizabeth Hall Roof Garden.
- Hop aboard a riverboat for a relaxing ride along the Thames to one of London’s most charming neighbourhoods: Greenwich.
For art and culture buffs
- Mark the 200th anniversary of Queen Victoria’s birth by visiting Victoria: A Royal Childhood and Victoria: Woman and Crown at Kensington Palace, where you’ll learn all about the famous British monarch’s life. Ongoing
- Get up close to stunning creations from one of the UK’s most iconic fashion designers with Mary Quant at the V&A. Until 16 Feb