Impress your sweetheart with thoughtful Valentine's Day ideas, a memorable dinner at a romantic restaurant or an adrenaline-fuelled adventure with this guide to the ultimate dates in London.
Fun date ideas
- London's bowling alleys have an old-fashioned charm that makes for a fun and alternative date night.
- Spice up your date with some competition at Swingers: a crazy golf hub boasting nine-hole courses, five cocktail bars, and three street food vendors.
- Show off with a game of ultraviolet table tennis at Bounce, enjoy a slice of pizza between matches and dance the night away to live DJs.
- Take an exhilarating speedboat ride down the Thames.
- Go horse riding together through Hyde Park.
Inspiring date night locations
- Explore Sir John Soane’s Museum’s collection of antiquities and exquisite paintings by candlelight.
- Snuggle up on Electric Cinema’s front row bed, as you watch your favourite films while sharing a bag of popcorn.
- Go on a cultural date at one of London’s exciting late museum openings.
- Take your date to see a ballet or a classic romantic opera at the magnificent Royal Opera House.
- Sip on a glass of chilled bubbles at one of London’s best champagne bars.
- There’s nothing more romantic than taking a stroll along the river on the South Bank, with magnificent views of the Houses of Parliament and the Coca-Cola London Eye as a backdrop.
Date night restaurants
- Dine at The Gallery at Sketch, one of the most extravagant restaurants in town or splash out at two-Michelin-star Lecture Room and Library in the same building.
- Feast on oysters at Wright Brothers, or go celeb-hunting at J Sheekey oyster bar.
- Soak up breathtaking views from Sushisamba as you taste refined dishes combining the flavours of Japan, Peru and Brazil.
- At Bob Bob Ricard, you can order bubbles without losing eye contact with your date, by pressing a champagne button.
- Treat your date to a Michelin-starred dinner at legendary Galvin at Windows, on the 28th floor of London Hilton on Park Lane.
- Spend a magical evening at Boundary’s heated rooftop orangery, with a menu featuring finger food and grill specials.
- Dine in a greenhouse, surrounded by luxuriant plants and flowers at Petersham Nurseries.
Cheap date ideas
- What’s more romantic than a picnic in one of London’s most beautiful parks? Hampstead Heath, Greenwich Park and Primrose Hill offer some fantastic views of London.
- Browse stunning flower displays hand-in-hand at Columbia Road Flower Market.
- Catch some Shakespeare at The Globe. Standing tickets cost just £5.
- Hire a Santander bike and cycle around London’s most beautiful hidden routes.
- Sip a flat white as you spend some quality time together at one of the capital's independent coffee shops.
- Share some mouthwatering street food from one of London’s many stalls and vans.
- Go on a lunch date at Borough Market and sample small bites from different vendors.
- Glide above the Thames and enjoy amazing views from the Emirates Air Line cable cars.
- Visit free Sky Garden and be amazed by wonderful views of London’s skyline.
Cool places for a first date in London
- Take a journey back to the Prohibition era at speakeasy cocktail bar Nightjar, and enjoy live swing and jazz music performances.
- Hear some live jazz at the legendary Ronnie Scott's in Soho.
- See a show at fascinating Wilton’s Music Hall, the world’s oldest and last surviving music hall.
- Enjoy cocktails in the summer at cool rooftop bar Frank’s Cafe in Peckham.
- Feast on champagne and cheese at Champagne + Fromage bistro.
- Star-gaze, touch a 4.5 billion-year-old asteroid and straddle different hemispheres on the Meridian Line at Royal Observatory Greenwich.
- Show off your sensitive side as you coo over the cute animals at a city farm.
- Drink in an atmospheric cave at Gordon’s Wine Bar.
- Embark on a cruise in a century-old canal boat from Little Venice to Camden with Jason’s Trip.
- Go indoor skiing at Chel-ski.
- For a special occasion, fly over the London’s iconic sights with London Helicopter Tours.
- Discover creativity flourishing in Shoreditch on a street art tour.
- For an adrenaline-fuelled date, climb up the famous entertainment centre and enjoy amazing views with Up at The O2.
- Trust your partner with your life at indoor rock climbing centre Clip ‘n Climb Chelsea.
- Hire a pedalo on Hyde Park’s beautiful Serpentine lake.
- Climb the 311 steps up to the top of the Monument and take in spectacular views of London.
- Take your partner to a swing dance class.
For more romantic ideas, check out 101 romantic things to do in London
, take a look this guide to Valentine's Day
or discover fairytale locations