London officially became a city that never sleeps after the arrival of the Night Tube. The 24-hour Tube operates on Friday and Saturday nights on the Victoria, Jubilee, and most of the Central, Northern and Piccadilly lines.
From exploring museums after hours to taking part in an immersive theatre show, check out 101 of top things to do in London at night.
Top evening and night-time events
- Enjoy after dark exhibitions, talks and art at one of these late events: Watch out for evening events at Tate Modern and Saatchi Gallery.
- Learn the secrets of life from history to science: Head to London Dungeon and Science Museum for fun and interactive events.
- Dance the night away at one of London's top clubs: Boogie into the night at any of London's best nightclubs.
- Venture below St Martin-in-the-Fields church after dark with Crypt Lates: Enjoy an evening of live jazz music in atmospheric surroundings.
Discover more things to do late in London with our Let's Do London guide.
Free things to do in London at night
- Enjoy a free gig at Hootananny Brixton: Bop along to roots, reggae, ska and folk music.
- Bring your camera to snap the city’s famous landmarks as they’re dramatically lit up at night: Top picks include Tower Bridge, Piccadilly Circus, Houses of Parliament and Harrods.
- Spend an evening with the Angel Comedy Club at the Camden Head in Islington: Enjoy a giggle at the famously free comedy club.
- Apply for tickets to be in the audience of a major TV show: From The Graham Norton Show to Live at the Apollo.
Cheap nights out in London
- Put your general knowledge to the test at The Camden Lock Tavern: Team up and enter the weekly pub quiz for the chance to win big.
- Dine out at one of the city's cheap eateries: Tuck into everything from bao buns to sourdough pizza.
- Visit a bar or pub during happy hour for cut-price drinks: Dirty Martini offers half-price martinis and cocktails during its daily happy hours.
- See a cheap gig in London: Bag yourself some wallet-friendly tickets.
- Get cheap tickets for major West End shows: Visit the TKTS booth in Leicester Square on the day of the performance.
See a theatre show
- Be part of the action at an immersive theatre show: From The Great Gatsby to Witness for the Prosecution.
- Treat yourself to a glittering night out at a top West End musical: Watch The Lion King or Wicked.
- Enjoy a pint and a play at one of London's pub theatres: Find some of London's best quality theatre shows and cutting-edge comedy nights in the capital's pubs.
- Go back in time at Medieval Banquet: Watch knights, jesters and more entertain you before a post-meal disco kicks off.
Live music venues in London
- Swing by Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club in Soho: See top jazz stars perform at this legendary venue.
- Spend an evening at The 100 Club: Follow in the footsteps of music legends Oasis and The Sex Pistols.
- See a secret gig in an unusual venue with Sofar Sounds: Check out undiscovered artists.
- Tap your feet to a brilliant jam session at Ain’t Nothin’ But Blues Bar: The intimate venue is open seven days a week.
- See up-and-coming bands at Camden's The Dublin Castle: Both Blur and Coldplay have graced its stage.
- Enjoy a night out at the Grade II-listed Roundhouse: The iconic venue counts The Doors and Jimi Hendrix among its past performers.
- Visit revamped music venue KOKO: This is where Madonna had her first UK show.
- Listen to live music at The Piano Works: Hear pianists perform audience-requested playlists live.
Late-night shopping in London
- Shop till late at Westfield London: Discover luxury and high-street shops under one roof.
- Or head to Westfield Stratford City: Shop at one of the largest urban shopping centres in Europe.
- Flex your credit card until late along London’s famous Oxford Street: Home to department stores, designer brands and high-street favourites.
- Shop through the evening at Duke of York Square: Find big-brand stores and more.
Night bus and boat tours
- Step aboard a Ghost Bus Tour: Hear stories from London’s murky past.
- Hop on an open-top-bus tour: See top sights sparkle at twilight.
- Treat yourself to a dinner cruise: Journey through the capital on a relaxing cruise.
- Foodies should book a tour with Bustronome: Enjoy French-inspired fine dining on the top deck of a bus.
Night-time walks in London
- Go on a Jack the Ripper Ghost Walk: Follow an eerie route through the old alleyways of the East End.
- Enjoy a stroll along the Thames to see bridges glow as part of the Illuminated River installation: Admire some of the capital’s top attractions prettily lit up at night, including the London Eye and the Houses of Parliament.
- Keep an eye out for bat walks: Available on select dates in London's Royal Parks.
Explore London's nightlife scene
- Party the night away at one of London's top 10 clubs: Experience the cream of the city's nightlife scene.
- See a risqué cabaret or burlesque show: Expect an eye-popping display of sequins and much more.
- Watch a movie in plush surroundings at an intimate independent cinema: Featuring leather armchairs and posh snacks.
- Discover The Hippodrome Casino: Enjoy a flutter at the UK’s largest casino.
- Sing your heart out at one of London's karaoke bars: Belt out your favourite tunes.
- Sip a pint or two in one of London's old haunted pubs: Check out The Grenadier, The Spaniards Inn and former jail The Viaduct Tavern.
- Soak up hundreds of years of history in a traditional pub: Try Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, where Charles Dickens used to drink.
- Enjoy a drink with a view at a riverside pub: Seek out London's top waterside hangouts.
Top London bars
- Sip a flamboyant cocktail at Opium: A late-night drinking den and dim sum parlour.
- Check out London's top lesbian and gay bars: Explore the city's LGBT+ scene.
- Raise a celebratory toast at one of the city's champagne bars: Treat yourself to a glass of bubbly or two.
- Enjoy a night out with a difference at one of London's quirky bars: Go off the beaten track and find yourself a quirky basement bar, secret drinking hole or themed boozer.
Late-night dining and 24-hour restaurants in London
- Chow down on steaks and burgers at Balans Soho Society: Enjoy a meal at this swanky Soho brasserie until the early hours.
- Check out Brick Lane Beigel Bake, open 24 hours a day: Pick up a tasty bagel after the clubs have shut.
- Experience London’s highest 24/7 restaurant Duck & Waffle: Fill up on crispy leg confit and fried duck egg washed down with champagne cocktails.
- Feeling peckish at 5am? Grab a late-night snack at 24-hour diner VQ Bloomsbury.
- Grab coffee and cake at late-night Soho institution Bar Italia: Follow in the footsteps of musicians and film stars.
London foodie hubs
- Feast on global street food galore at pop-up malls Boxpark Croydon, Boxpark Shoreditch and Boxpark Wembley: Each is home to a different selection of top-notch independent food and drink vendors.
- Explore cool food market Mercato Metropolitano: Try everything from handmade pasta to Argentinian steak.
- Discover alfresco dining destination Kingly Court in London's West End: Eat out in one of more than 20 restaurants and cafes.
- Check out north London's bustling food hall Bang Bang Oriental: Find 27 kiosks serving up top-notch Asian fare.
- Discover eclectic eateries, cocktails and live music at Flat Iron Square: You'll find the foodie hub under the railway arches at Southwark.
- Head to Chinatown: Its restaurants serve up everything from sushi and satay to Szechuan and stir fry.
- Treat yourself to dinner in Soho: Explore a rich mix of opulent and down-to-earth restaurants.
Late-night London culture
- Many museums and galleries regularly open late: Check out talks, performances, workshops, films, food and drink, DJs and more.
- Take an exclusive twilight tour of the Tower of London: Let a Yeoman Warder guide you through this iconic London landmark.
- Visit Dennis Severs' House after dark: Soak up the atmosphere of the home left behind by an imaginary 18th-century family.
- Catch a show at the Royal Opera House: Watch some of the world's finest opera stars on stage.
- See the Tower of London's Ceremony of the Keys: Witness a 700-year-old ceremony.
- Take a guided history tour of Wilton's Music Hall: Discover the world's oldest and last surviving grand music hall.
See Sir John Soane's Museum by candlelight: Book tickets for one of its after-hours events.
Sleepovers at London attractions
Sporty things to do at night in London
- Ice skate until late all-year-round at weekends at Alexandra Palace Ice Rink: Or enjoy the city’s magical outdoor ice rinks, most of which open from November to January.
- Enjoy a thrilling climb at Stronghold Climbing Centre in Tottenham: Go climbing at London’s largest indoor bouldering space.
- Take a dance class at Pineapple Dance Studios: Classes vary from tap and ballet to urban and contemporary styles.
- Go bowling in style at the plush All Star Lanes: Enjoy great cocktails and American fare.
Learn something new
- Enjoy lates at the Royal Observatory Greenwich: Featuring stargazing and film screenings.
- Attend a late-night debate at the Houses of Parliament: A memorable London experience.
- Cook up a culinary masterpiece at the Cookery School at Little Portland Street: You can book evening classes for all abilities.
Creative things to do in London at night
- Experience “hairclubbing” at Blade Soho: Sip cocktails while getting your hair cut or treated.
- Sing along to your favourite movie at the Prince Charles Cinema: Croon along to Grease, Frozen, Dirty Dancing and more.
- Play an old-school board game at Draughts: Choose from more than 800 games to play at the board game cafe.
- Enjoy a game of mini-golf at Junkyard Golf Club: Get a hole-in-one at this quirky mini-golf bar.
- Play darts in style at cool bar Flight Club Shoreditch: While drinking craft beer and cocktails.
- Battle your way out of an escape room: Use brainpower and teamwork on a nail-biting night out.
Things to do at night in winter
- Experience Christmas at Kew: See Kew Gardens lit up with more than one million sparkling festive lights.
- Go on a festive adventure at Hyde Park’s Winter Wonderland: Enjoy ice skating, fairground rides and Christmas markets.
- Marvel at London’s dazzling Christmas lights: Look up and snap away at the magical sight of thousands of twinkling lights throughout the capital.
- Visit the Winter Festival at Southbank Centre: Celebrate Yuletide with a Christmas market and festive shows.
- Treat yourself to a Christmas show or pantomime: Enjoy a classic show over the festive season.
- Check out one of London’s cosy pubs: Snuggle up with a pint next to a crackling fire.
- Order a festive drink at one of London's many rooftop bars: Sample tasty winter cocktails.
Things to do at night during summer in London
- While away a balmy summer night in a beer garden: Make the most of London's outdoor drinking spots.
- Spend a leisurely evening at an alfresco restaurant: From rooftop terraces and riverside balconies to hidden courtyards and restaurants in parks.
- See one of the Bard’s famous plays at Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre: Experience a show in a reconstruction of the original open-air playhouse.
- Catch a movie in the great outdoors at one of the city’s open-air cinemas: Watch all-time classics outdoors or from the comfort of your own car.
- See theatre under the stars at the Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre: Enjoy a season of Shakespeare, comedy, family fun and musicals in a magical setting.
- Watch the sunset with a picnic on Primrose Hill: The view from the top is one of London's best, affording a fantastic panorama across the city.