Treat yourself and join in the fun on Pancake Day in London.
In the Christian calendar, Pancake Day, or Shrove Tuesday, is a traditional feast day which precedes the 40-day fasting period of Lent that lasts until Easter. Pancake Day became a great way to use the foods that were given up for Lent: milk, butter and eggs.
Pancake Day falls between 2 February and 9 March, depending on the date for Easter. In 2017, Pancake Day falls on Tuesday 28 February.
Pancake Day Races in London
As well as eating pancakes and crepes, there's a long tradition of pancake races in London which often raise money for charity.
Enter your team into a race or cheer on the participants from the sidelines, as they toss pancakes in a frying pan while trying to complete the course as fast as possible – take a look below for pancake races in London on 28 February:
- Spot famous faces at the annual Parliamentary Pancake Race, where politicians take on journalists outside the Houses of Parliament in support of Rehab. From 10am
- Dress up and gather three friends to take part in the Great Spitalfields Pancake Race, raising funds for London’s Air Ambulance at the Old Truman Brewery. From 12.30pm
- Munch on a pancake from the Urban Food Festival truck while watching the teams, each joined by a young person from the charity London Bubble, take on the More London Riverside racecourse. From 12.30pm
Pancake Day Restaurants
Tuck into a Pancake Day feast at one of London's best pancake restaurants or creperies, and look out for special Pancake Day menus in restaurants and cafes across the capital. Below are some ideas on where to celebrate Pancake Day 2017 in London:
- Indulge in pancakes dripping with caramel, chocolate and marshmallows, or cheese and pulled pork at The Breakfast Club, or dare to take on their charity pancake challenge, that’s 12 pancakes in 12 minutes, all day on Shrove Tuesday. 20-28 Feb
- Go on a pancake crawl at Here East’s Canal Side on Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, choose from rosemary pancakes with butternut squash at Shane’s, gluten-free pancakes with lemon and cardamom at Mother, ricotta pancakes at Mason & Co. and many more.
- Enjoy a pancake-inspired meal at Lancaster London’s Island Grill: start with crispy duck rolled up in a crepe, followed by fish and chips in pancake batter and a selection of sweet pancakes to finish. 28 Feb
If you can’t make it to London on Pancake Day, bring a little bit of London into your pancakes instead with a Big Ben shaped crepe!