Get ready for a week of family fun in London during the May half-term holiday 2017 (also known as summer half-term).
Plan your May school holiday break with our guide to the top things to do during half-term in London. Discover family-friendly museums, half-term activities and kids' shows, and take the children outdoors to London's parks and playgrounds on a sunny day.
May Half-term Events in London
- Spot a life-size bear, hippo and giraffe made out of grass in WWT London Wetland Centre's Grass Animal Zoo, before exploring the nature reserve. 27 May-4 Jun
- Celebrate London’s trees and woodlands this half-term with walks, trails and storytelling for all the family during London Tree Week. 27 May-4 Jun
- Explore the city's past with one-day-only events and displays on London History Day. 31 May
- Pack a picnic and head to Hampton Court Palace to see Britain’s most gruesome characters brought to life in an open-air performance of Horrible Histories. 27 May-3 Jun
- Learn about the world's toughest and most shocking animals with interactive half-term show Gruesome Nature Live! at ZSL London Zoo. 27 May-4 Jun
- Take The Sailor’s Challenge aboard Cutty Sark to prove that you have what it takes to join the crew. 29 May-4 Jun
- Discover surprising facts about Victoria and Albert, and explore the Victorian classroom and East End Kitchen for free at the Ragged School Museum. 31 May-1 Jun
- Move and dance to the sounds of the city at London Transport Museum. 27 May-4 Jun
- Look out for more kids' half-term activities at London’s attractions and children's museums during the school holiday.
Family Attractions in London
- Step inside a tropical house filled with fluttering butterflies and study them more closely with Sensational Butterflies at the Natural History Museum. Until Sep
- Enter the world of jellyfish at SEA LIFE's new experience Ocean Invaders, plus design your own invader with craft activities this half-term.
- See toys dating back to the 1600s at the free V&A Museum of Childhood.
- Discover Harry Potter's Forbidden Forest in Warner Bros. Studio Tour's new expansion and explore more Harry Potter locations in London.
- See your favourite superheroes made entirely out of LEGO at The Art of the Brick. Until Sep
- Find out what forces shape you as you determine your Star Wars identity at The O2. Until Sep
- Tick off the capital's top attractions, from the Science Museum to Madame Tussauds.
- Have fun for less with free things to do with kids in London this summer half-term.
Kids' Outdoors Activities during Summer Half-term
- Climb into royal towers and hunt for mythical creatures in Hampton Court Palace’s Magic Garden.
- Spot life-size dinosaurs hiding between the trees of Crystal Palace Park.
- Embark on a tree-top adventure at Go Ape Battersea this half-term.
- Hire a pedalo or rowing boat in Hyde Park or Regent’s Park.
- Make the most of sunny days with more things to do outdoors in London.
Half-term Children's Shows in London
- Enjoy comedy and magic shows specially designed for kids at Underbelly Festival. Until Sep
- Watch a spectacular adaptation of Disney’s classic stories with Aladdin and The Lion King on the West End stage.
- Follow the adventures of orphan Annie in one of London’s newest musicals.
- Take a look at what’s on in one of London’s theatres for children.
- Find more kids' shows in London.
Where to Stay and Where to Eat with Kids in London
- Enjoy special children’s menus and activities in a top London family restaurant.
- Grab a cheap bite in an inexpensive eatery this May half-term.
- Treat the family to a memorable meal at a top quirky restaurant.
- Complete your half-term break with a stay in a family-friendly hotel in London.
- Or book a self-catering apartment for more flexibility during the school holidays.
- Locate the best areas to stay with children in London.