Take a look below for ideas of things to do in London on New Year's Eve, from the London New Year fireworks and special New Year’s Eve day events, to dazzling meals and parties lasting into the early hours of 2017.
Whatever your plans, make sure to check availability and book in advance to make the most of London's New Year's Eve celebrations, as spaces are often limited.
London New Year’s Eve Fireworks
Tickets to London New Year's Eve Fireworks 2016 have sold out, and you cannot attend without a ticket. But there are other ways to see the NYE fireworks in London and plenty more London New Year’s Eve 2016 activities to enjoy – take a look at some alternatives below:
NYE Fireworks Cruises and Dining
- Watch the fireworks from the river on a Meteor Clipper or City Cruises New Year's Eve cruise, with food, drinks and music.
- Sample a delicious meal before taking a thrilling speedboat ride with Thames Rockets, cruising back to Central London in time to see the New Year's Eve fireworks.
- Enjoy an amazing view of the NYE fireworks display with dinner, drinks and dancing aboard R.S. Hispaniola, anchored directly opposite the London Eye.
- End the year on a high with dinner at a restaurant with amazing views of the beautiful London New Year’s Eve fireworks, such as Aqua Shard or Smith & Wollensky.
New Year's Eve Clubs, Parties and Balls in London
- Welcome in 2017 at a glamorous Bourne & Hollingsworth New Year's Eve party: choose from their themed Blitz, Prohibition or Dark Circus parties.
- Dine and dance, before watching the famous fireworks at the Ultimate New Year's Eve Ball.
- Dance through the decades at Southbank Centre's A Vintage New Year’s Eve Party, where you can also watch London's iconic New Year’s Eve fireworks.
- Celebrate with pyro displays, confetti cannons and more surprises at London's biggest pop party on NYE hosted by Club de Fromage at Hammersmith's Eventim Apollo.
- Enjoy one last dance with Dippy at the Natural History Museum's New Year’s Eve Ball.
- Watch amazing cabaret, circus and music acts at White Mischief's New Year's Eve Variety Extravaganza at Bush Hall.
- Join the Carnivale at Battersea Evolution for a colourful New Year's Eve Ball.
- Have a laugh at one of London’s comedy clubs on New Year's Eve.
- Look out for special themed nights at many of London's clubs, pubs and bars on NYE, from the Great Gatsby Casino at Somers Town Coffee House and NYE Circus at Proud Camden, to Icebar's 1920s party and Dirty Martini's Masquerade parties.
Family NYE London Ideas
- Enjoy an afternoon skate at one of London's top ice skating rinks, or skate late into the night at the Natural History Museum ice rink on New Year’s Eve.
- Get stuck into festive fun at Winter Wonderland with rides, markets, shows and more.
- Go on a festive London tour with the kids, and see the city lit up with sparkling Christmas lights.
- Or follow a magical trail of lights well into the evening with Christmas at Kew.
- Treat the children to a pantomime, top family show or a spectacular West End performance.
- Tick off some of London’s top attractions, many of which are open during the day on New Year’s Eve.
Things to Do on New Year’s Day in London
- Start the new year off with the London New Year’s Day Parade 2017, which sees around 8,000 performers parade through Central London
- If you’d rather hit the shops, head to one of London’s top shopping destinations to pick up bargains in the January sales.
- Marvel at the Christmas lights with an after-dark open-top bus tour.