There are plenty of things to do in London on New Year's Eve, from the London New Year fireworks and special New Year’s Eve events, to dazzling meals and parties lasting into the early hours of 2017.
Whatever your plans, make sure to check availability and book in advance to make the most of London's New Year's Eve celebrations.
London NYE Fireworks
At midnight on New Year’s Eve, London’s night skies will be a blaze of colour with a display of stunning pyrotechnics from the river on London’s famous South Bank. Find out more about the 2016 fireworks event - you must buy a ticket to attend.
If you can’t secure a ticket to the New Year’s Eve fireworks in London, there are plenty of other London New Year’s Eve 2016 activities to enjoy – take a look at some alternatives below.
New Year’s Eve Cruises and Dining
- Watch the fireworks from the river with a New Year's Eve cruise with dinner or drinks and music.
- End the year on a high with dinner at a restaurant with amazing views of the beautiful New Year’s Eve London fireworks.
- Splash out on some world-class fare at one of London’s many Michelin-starred restaurants.
- Cosy up to your loved one in a romantic restaurant for a New Year’s Eve meal in London.
New Year's Eve Clubs and Parties in London
- Dance your way into 2017 at a glamorous London New Year's Eve party.
- Celebrate one of the biggest nights of the year at a New Year’s Eve club night.
- Skate into the new year with a midnight session at the Natural History Museum ice rink.
- Have a laugh at one of London’s comedy clubs on New Year's Eve.
- Many London pubs and bars stay open past midnight to see in the new year.
- Entry to New Year’s Eve parties in London is generally ticketed, so make sure to book early.
London New Year’s Eve Shows
- Book New Year’s Eve tickets to one of London’s top West End shows.
- Treat the kids to a pantomime, top family show or a matinee performance at one of London’s children’s theatres on New Year’s Eve.
Family NYE London Ideas
- Enjoy an afternoon skate at one of London's top ice skating rinks.
- Get stuck in to festive fun at Winter Wonderland with rides, markets, shows and more.
- Go on a festive London tour with the kids, and see the city lit up with sparkling Christmas lights.
- Tick off some of London’s top attractions, many of which are open during the day on New Year’s Eve.
Things to Do on New Year’s Day in London
- Start the new year off with the London New Year’s Day Parade 2017, which sees around 8,000 performers parade through Central London
- If you’d rather hit the shops, head to one of London’s top shopping destinations to pick up bargains in the January sales.
- Marvel at the Christmas lights with an after-dark open-top bus tour.