Get your quirk on at Christmas in London! There are lots of weird and wonderful activities across the city, from one-of-a-kind London events and seasonally dressed rooftop bars to quirky London places to visit over the holiday season.
Unusual Christmas shows
- Be mesmerised by unusual acts and jaw-dropping stunts with Circus 1903 at the Southbank Centre. 16 Dec-2 Jan
- Howl with laughter at slapstick shows Magic Goes Wrong and The Play that Goes Wrong, as a group of magicians and amateur actors make a mess of their performances.
- Feel your skin crawl as A Christmas Carol – A Ghost Story brings Charles Dickens’ classic tale to life with a spooky twist at Alexandra Palace. 26 Nov-9 Jan
- Watch seven classic pantos in just 70 minutes with Potted Panto. This hilarious Christmas show brings you the best-loved characters and stories from the world of pantomime, from Aladdin to Cinderella. 11 Dec-9 Jan
- See Dick Whittington as never before, as TuckShop puts an all-drag spin on the much-loved pantomime. 5 Dec-9 Jan
- Enjoy a retelling of festive ballet The Nutcracker with an enchanting performance of The Nutcracker on Ice at Alexandra Palace. 6-12 Dec
Discover more Christmas shows and pantomimes in London.
Quirky Christmas things to in London
- Follow in the footsteps of Harry, Ron and Hermione as the Great Hall is decked out for Christmas at Hogwarts in the Snow at The Warner Bros. Studio Tour London – The Making of Harry Potter. 13 Nov-16 Jan
- Hop on a London bus to marvel at the city's hundreds of sparkling lights on a Christmas Lights open-top bus tour. 13 Nov-3 Jan
- See the outfits the Queen and Princess Margaret wore as children at The Princesses’ Pantomimes exhibition during a visit to Windsor Castle. 25 Nov-31 Jan
- Head through the Frozen Infinity Chamber, discover a Frozen Forest and experience snow flurries, as Covent Garden pays homage to the hit film. 9 Nov-3 Jan
- Try your hand at curling in Coal Drops Yard this Christmas, as Club Curling arrives in the King's Cross shopping hotspot. 11 Nov-30 Dec
- Take a horse-drawn carriage ride through Richmond Park to gaze out over the frosty scenery. 27 Nov-2 Jan
- Meet Father Christmas at Santa’s grottos across London, from Hamleys to Alexandra Palace. Or take Santa selfies as part of fun festive activities at the London Transport Museum (4 Dec-2 Jan).
Cool London Christmas events
- Be mesmerised by Dan Acher's light installation, Borealis, which is inspired by the Northern Lights. Enjoy the spellbinding spectacle for free in Guildhall Yard. 11-22 Dec
- Get 'gramming at Christmas at Kew – wander through the Tunnel of Light, explore the Fire Garden and be dazzled with the Palm House finale. 17 Nov-8 Jan
- Sing along to festive hits, as Club de Fromage on Ice returns to Alexandra Palace with its quirky mix of disco and ice skating. 11 Dec-2 Jan
- Or discover more light festivals across the capital, from Illuminature at the London Wetland Centre, to Lightopia in Crystal Palace, Winterfest in Wembley Park, and a special display with Christmas at Kenwood House. Various dates
- Become an “elf in training”, as you discover what your favourite animals want for Christmas as part of the Magic of Christmas activities at ZSL London Zoo. 27 Nov-3 Jan
- Watch the brave members of the Serpentine Swimming Club battle it out in chilly conditions during the Peter Pan Cup swim on Christmas Day. 25 Dec
Unique Christmas film screenings in London
- Enter the Winter Night Garden, journey to The Snow Kingdom or enjoy a Christmas Movie Spectacular with Backyard Cinema, where you can watch a movie in magical surroundings. 18 Oct-3 Jan
- Travel to an enchanting snowy world through Cinema in the Snow's wardrobe and catch some cult classics, including Elf, Home Alone and The Holiday. 1-19 Dec
- Get in the festive spirit during a lineup of Christmas movies at the Luna Winter Cinema, set in the grounds of Kensington Palace, and Battersea Arts Centre. 12-23 Dec
Festive London food and drink
- Indulge in creative takes on festive afternoon teas at restaurants and hotels across the capital.
- Tuck into tasty creations from top chefs at multi-sensory food and music festival The Great Feast at The Old Selfridges Hotel. 11 Nov-18 Dec
- Relax with warming cocktails, food and activities at winter-themed rooftop bars and seasonal pop-ups – the perfect places to celebrate with friends and family.
- Enjoy cocktails at the London Eye this Christmas, as its Christmas Pub Pod experience turns one of its 32 pods into a pop-up pub. 11 Nov-9 Jan
- Join the Aeronaut pub's Christmas cabaret, which mixes acrobatics, fire performers, singalongs and more. 3-18 Dec