You need a ticket to attend London's New Year's Eve fireworks display.
You can also watch the fireworks from the river on a New Year’s Eve cruise, or from a restaurant with views over the London Eye.
Restaurants, bars and clubs put on New Year's Eve celebrations which are usually ticketed.
New Year's Eve travel on the Transport for London network is usually free between 11.45pm and 4.30am.
Take a look below for ideas of things to do in London on New Year's Eve, from the London New Year fireworks and special New Year’s Eve day events, to dazzling meals and parties lasting into the early hours of 2019.
Whatever your plans, make sure to check availability and book in advance to make the most of London's New Year's Eve celebrations, as spaces are often limited.
Central London gets very busy during the evening, so plan your journey in advance. There is usually free travel on TfL public transport services on New Year's Eve, including the Underground, buses, DLR, London Overground and trams.
Many more New Year's Eve events and activities in London will be announced closer to the date, so check back later for more London NYE 2018 ideas.
London New Year’s Eve fireworks
The London New Year's Eve fireworks light up central London every New Year's Eve with a dazzling spectacle of pyrotechnics. London's NYE fireworks have been ticketed since 2014 – check back later in the year for information on the 2018 fireworks display. You can also watch it live on television.
If you're not attending the fireworks, there are plenty more London New Year’s Eve 2018 activities to enjoy – take a look at some alternatives below, including how else to see the London NYE fireworks.
NYE cruises with views of the fireworks
- Watch the London NYE fireworks from the river on one of City Cruises' New Year's Eve cruises: choose from dinner cruises, speedboat rides, traditional boat trips with champagne and live music, or even dinner in the R.S. Hispaniola ship, moored opposite the London Eye.
- Take a thrilling speedboat ride, before cruising back to central London in time to see the New Year's Eve fireworks.
Other ways to see London's New Year's Eve fireworks
- End the year on a high with dinner and music at a restaurant with amazing views of the London New Year’s Eve fireworks, such as Aqua Shard, Galvin at Windows, R.S. Hispaniola floating restaurant, Wahaca Southbank and The Rooftop St James.
London restaurants for New Year’s Eve dining
- Treat yourself to award-winning food on this special evening at a Michelin-starred restaurant.
- Book a table at a romantic restaurant for a more intimate NYE dinner with that special someone.
- Try unusual dishes or dine among eccentric decor in a quirky London restaurant on New Year's Eve.
New Year's Eve clubs and parties in London
- Welcome in 2019 at a top New Year's Eve club night in London.
- Dine, dance and watch the famous fireworks at The London Sky Bar.
- Have a laugh at one of London’s comedy clubs on NYE.
- Look out for special themed events in London's pubs and bars.
Day and evening NYE London ideas
- Enjoy an afternoon skate at one of London's top ice skating rinks.
- Get stuck into festive fun at Winter Wonderland with rides, markets, shows and more.
- Take the family to a top Christmas show or a spectacular West End performance (not all productions have shows on New Year's Eve, so check timings in advance).
- Tick off some of London’s top attractions, many of which are open during the day on New Year’s Eve.
- Follow an enchanting trail of sparkling lights after dark with Christmas at Kew.
- Watch The Shard illuminate the sky with a special New Year's Eve light show.
Things to do on New Year’s Day in London
- Start the new year off with the London New Year’s Day Parade 2019, which usually sees around 8,000 performers parade through central London.
- Hit the shops in one of London’s top shopping destinations to pick up bargains in the January sales.
- Marvel at the Christmas lights which can still be spotted across the city.
- Take a look at what else is on in London on New Year's Day.