You need a ticket to attend London's New Year's Eve fireworks display.
You can also watch the fireworks from the river on a New Year’s Eve cruise, or from a restaurant with views over the London Eye.
Restaurants, bars and clubs put on New Year's Eve celebrations which are usually ticketed.
New Year's Eve travel on the Transport for London network is free between 11.45pm and 4.30am.
Take a look below for ideas of things to do in London on New Year's Eve, from the London New Year fireworks and special New Year’s Eve day events, to dazzling meals and parties lasting into the early hours of 2018.
Whatever your plans, make sure to check availability and book in advance to make the most of London's New Year's Eve celebrations, as spaces are often limited.
Central London gets very busy during the evening, so plan your journey in advance. There is free travel on TfL public transport services between 11.45pm and 4.30am on New Year's Eve, including the Underground, buses, DLR, London Overground and trams.
London New Year’s Eve fireworks
The London New Year's Eve fireworks light up central London every New Year's Eve with a dazzling spectacle of pyrotechnics. London's NYE fireworks have been ticketed since 2014, and tickets for the 2017 fireworks display are now sold out. You can also watch it live on television.
If you're not attending the fireworks, there are plenty more London New Year’s Eve 2017 activities to enjoy – take a look at some alternatives below, including how else to see the London NYE fireworks.
NYE cruises with views of the fireworks
- Enjoy champagne, live music and amazing views of London's New Year's Eve fireworks aboard the Monsoon Clipper or Silver Bonito, with the option to dance the night away at Opal Bar after the cruise.
- Sit down for a three-course dinner at Minster Court, before taking to the Thames on a Meteor Clipper New Year's Eve cruise to see the fireworks display.
- Watch the London NYE fireworks from the river on one of City Cruises' New Year's Eve cruises: choose from dinner cruises, speedboat rides, traditional boat trips with champagne and live music, or even dinner in the R.S. Hispaniola ship, moored opposite the London Eye.
- Take a thrilling 30-minute speedboat ride, before cruising back to central London in time to see the New Year's Eve fireworks with Thames Rockets.
- Watch the London fireworks display from a Thames Rib Experience 12-seater boat, which includes refreshments and a goody bag.
Other ways to see London's New Year's Eve fireworks
- End the year on a high with dinner and music at a restaurant with amazing views of the London New Year’s Eve fireworks, such as Aqua Shard, Galvin at Windows, R.S. Hispaniola floating restaurant, Wahaca Southbank and The Rooftop St James.
- Party into 2018 at a venue which offers views over the fireworks, such as Southbank Centre's A Vintage New Year’s Eve Party or The London Sky Bar's NYE party.
London restaurants for New Year’s Eve dining
- Treat yourself to award-winning food on this special evening at a Michelin-starred restaurant.
- Book a table at a romantic restaurant for a more intimate NYE dinner with that special someone.
- Try unusual dishes or dine among eccentric decor in a quirky London restaurant on New Year's Eve.
New Year's Eve clubs and parties in London
- Welcome in 2018 at a glamorous Bourne & Hollingsworth London NYE party: choose from their 1940s-themed Blitz Party or 1920s Prohibition Party.
- Dance through the decades at Southbank Centre's A Vintage New Year’s Eve Party, with a chance to see London's iconic New Year’s Eve fireworks.
- Join Hope the blue whale for a New Year's Eve party under the sea at London's famous Natural History Museum.
- See the London skyline light up with fireworks from Western Europe's tallest building, at The View from the Shard's New Year's Eve party.
- Rise high above London to Sky Garden's Great Gatsby New Year's Eve party for a glitzy evening with spectacular views of the capital.
- Dine, dance and watch the famous fireworks at The London Sky Bar.
- Enjoy a cabaret show, circus acts and live music at The Black Cat Ball in Leicester Square.
- Celebrate with a pyrotechnic display, confetti cannons and more surprises at London's biggest pop party on NYE hosted by Club de Fromage at Hammersmith's Eventim Apollo.
- Sit down for a four-course meal surrounded by iconic movie memorabilia, before boogieing into 2018 at Planet Hollywood.
- Spend a cool night at Battersea Evolution's après-ski party, featuring rides, entertainment, a four-course banquet and unlimited drinks.
- Enjoy food, music and a private fireworks display at Lee Valley's masquerade ball in north London, in central London's luxury Rosewood Hotel, or on the rooftops with The Roof Garden's Hollywood-themed party in Kensington.
- Have a laugh at one of London’s comedy clubs on NYE.
- Look out for New Year's Eve club nights, plus special themed events in London's pubs and bars.
Day and evening NYE London ideas
- Enjoy an afternoon skate at one of London's top ice skating rinks.
- Get stuck into festive fun at Winter Wonderland with rides, markets, shows and more.
- Take the family to a top Christmas show or a spectacular West End performance (not all productions have shows on New Year's Eve, so check timings in advance).
- Tick off some of London’s top attractions, many of which are open during the day on New Year’s Eve.
- Follow an enchanting trail of sparkling lights after dark with Christmas at Kew or the Magical Lantern Festival in Chiswick.
- Be transported to 19th-century Vienna with music and dancing at the Barbican's The Magic of Vienna concert in London on New Year's Eve.
- Watch The Shard illuminate the sky with a special New Year's Eve light show.
Things to do on New Year’s Day in London
- Start the new year off with the London New Year’s Day Parade 2018, which sees around 8,000 performers parade through central London.
- Enjoy one last festive concert with live orchestras at St Martin-in-the-Fields church or the Barbican Centre on New Year's Day.
- Hit the shops in one of London’s top shopping destinations to pick up bargains in the January sales.
- Marvel at the Christmas lights which can still be spotted across the city.
- Take a look at what else is on in London on New Year's Day.