- September is festival season in London.
- Top September events include Open House London, Totally Thames, the London Design Festival and London Fashion Week.
- This month is your last chance to explore Buckingham Palace.
Make the most of the last few weeks of summer in September, when the weather is normally still warm and there's a whole range of unmissable events in London.
As the summer school holidays come to an end, the city welcomes an exciting line-up of architecture, fashion and music festivals – but there are still plenty of fun things to do for those family days out at the weekends.
September events in London
London festivals in September
- Enjoy a month-long celebration of London's river during Totally Thames. Admire artworks, catch concerts in unusual spaces and explore the history of the Thames through free exhibitions and walks.
- Spot innovative design projects and large-scale installations as they pop up all over the capital in September during the London Design Festival, and visit the festival hub at the V&A for more events to check out during the week.
- Catch up on the latest fashion trends with catwalk shows, pop-up designer shops and expert-led panels at London Fashion Week.
- Step inside some of the capital’s most iconic, unusual and, at times, secret buildings during the free Open House London festival.
- Enjoy free activities on 20km (12 miles) of traffic-free streets in London Bridge, Tower Bridge and the City of London during the Reimagine car-free day.
- Celebrate all things African culture during the Africa in London festival, from art exhibitions and live music to pop-up markets.
Late summer events in London
- Get set for the grand finale of the two-month-long BBC Proms, the world’s largest classical music festival. Expect fireworks, live music and British eccentricity during BBC Proms in the Park.
- Take the last chance to step into the lavish State Rooms of Buckingham Palace during its summer opening.
- Enjoy the last few days of the Underbelly Festival, with South Bank events featuring comedy, circus and cabaret shows, as well as alfresco food and drinks.
- Catch a film under the stars on a warm September evening with The Luna Cinema.
- Wander around Greenwich Market on the first Friday of the month to devour some of best vegan street food in London, and shop for plant-based produce at Vegan Vibes GMT.
- Shop ‘till you drop as Summer Streets turns Regent Street traffic-free with wellness pop-ups, workshops, deals and live entertainment for one Sunday this month.
- Let your hair down as Woolwich Carnival heats up the streets with music, dancing, costumes and stalls in celebration of London's cultures and communities.
- Make the most of the last days of the Join the Docks festival, including the finale Wishful for an Instagram-worthy celebration of water and light this September.
Quirky London events
- Gasp at daring stunts, special effects and incredible pyrotechnics as your favourite superheroes battle against evil in Marvel Universe LIVE! at The O2.
- Watch aerial acrobatics and high-wire stunts in Thank You For Having Us – an extraordinary street spectacle about Earth's battle with plastic.
- Head to Trafalgar Square to celebrate Japanese culture with food, music and dance, during Japan Matsuri this month.
- Feel like a celebrity as you watch exclusive viewings of new films at London Raindance Film Festival and Japanese Avant-garde and Experimental Film Festival.
London sports events
- Cheer on some of the world's best para swimmers as they go head to head during the 2019 World Para Swimming Allianz Championships at the London Aquatics Centre.
- Watch top gamers battle it out at the grand final of the League of Legends UK League Championship.
- Pick up your paddle and challenge yourself to a race along the Thames at Regatta London, an annual fundraiser and celebration of all paddle sports – or cheer on the competitors from land.
Find heaps of seasonal special events and activities with our ultimate guide to autumn in London. Alternatively, take a look at our events calendar and guide to what's on in London, including the best London theatre shows.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London weather page.
Sign up for our monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.