- September is festival season in London.
- Top September events include Open House London, Totally Thames, the London Design Festival and the London Fashion Week Festival.
- This month is your last chance to explore Buckingham Palace.
The capital enjoys the last few weeks of summer in September, so the weather is normally still warm.
As the summer school holidays come to an end, the city welcomes an exciting line-up of architecture, fashion and music festivals.
September events in London
London festivals in September
- Enjoy a month-long celebration of London's river during Totally Thames. See artworks, catch concerts in unusual spaces and explore the history of the Thames through free exhibitions and walks.
- Innovative design projects pop up all over the capital in September during the London Design Festival. Explore large-scale installations and visit the festival hub at the V&A for a dynamic programme of events.
- Catch up on the latest fashion trends with catwalk shows, pop-up designer shops and expert-led panels at the London Fashion Week Festival.
- Head to Trafalgar Square to celebrate Japanese culture, with food, music and dance, during Japan Matsuri this month.
- Step inside some of the capital’s most iconic and unusual buildings during the free Open House London festival.
Late summer events in London
- Get set for the grand finale of the two-month-long BBC Proms, the world’s largest classical music festival. Expect fireworks, live music and British eccentricity during BBC Proms in the Park.
- This month is your last chance to explore the lavish State Rooms of Buckingham Palace during its summer opening.
- Enjoy the last few days of the Underbelly Festival in South Bank, featuring comedy, circus and cabaret shows, as well as alfresco food and drinks.
- Catch a film under the stars on a warm September evening with The Luna Cinema.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London weather page.
Sign up for our monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.