Top September events
- September is usually festival season in London.
- Top September events each year include Open House London, Totally Thames, the London Design Festival and London Fashion Week.
- This month is usually your last chance to explore Buckingham Palace.
Make the most of the last few weeks of summer in September, when the weather is normally still warm and there's a whole range of unmissable events in London.
As the summer school holidays come to an end, the city usually welcomes an exciting line-up of architecture, fashion and music festivals in September. However, some large events have been cancelled this year due to the coronavirus outbreak, so please check with individual organiser before planning to attend.
Some events and activities are still going ahead with social distancing and safety measures in place, following UK government guidance. If you're going out and about, remember to follow the safety guidelines and walk or cycle where possible.
If you're not in London, there are still plenty of fun things to do for those family days out (or in!) at the weekends with our Virtually London guide to things to do from home.
Contact-free and virtual events in September
- Don't miss the last few weeks of the virtual BBC Proms, as the largest classical music festival on earth continues online with concerts and recordings.
- Catch up on the latest fashion trends with contact-free and virtual catwalk shows, pop-up designer shops and expert-led panels at a gender-neutral edition of the London Fashion Week.
- Log on for the start of the three-month-long Join the Docks festival. The Royal Docks' festival of culture and creativity brings together artists and performers from the local area with online and socially distanced events and activities.
- Steep yourself in history through the Chelsea History Festival's programme of physical and online talks by world-class speakers, historians and performers.
- Sign up and limber up for the Spitfire 10K, the Royal Air Force Museum’s annual fun run, which has become a virtual event this year.
- Enjoy a month-long celebration of London's river during Totally Thames through contact-free and online events this year. Admire artworks, catch streamed concerts in unusual spaces and explore the history of the Thames through free exhibitions and walks.
- Missing London theatre? Teleport to Seattle through a romantic and socially distanced performance of Sleepless the Musical at the Troubadour Wembley Park Theatre; or head to Regent's Park Open Air Theatre for a concert performance of Jesus Christ Superstar.
- Catch a film under the stars on a warm September evening with The Luna Drive-in Cinema.
Find a flavour of what's usually on in September below. Make sure to check the individual event for confirmation of this year's edition or plan ahead for next year.
Annual September events in London
London festivals in September
- Spot innovative design projects and large-scale installations as they pop up all over the capital in September during the London Design Festival, and visit the festival hub at the V&A for more events to check out during the week.
- Step inside some of the capital’s most iconic, unusual and, at times, secret buildings during the free Open House London festival.
Late-summer events in London
- Take the last chance to step into the lavish State Rooms of Buckingham Palace during its summer opening. This year's event has been cancelled.
- Let your hair down as Woolwich Carnival heats up the streets with music, dancing, costumes and stalls in celebration of London's cultures and communities. Event TBC
London sports events
- Watch top gamers battle it out at the grand final of the League of Legends UK League Championship. Event TBC
- Pick up your paddle and challenge yourself to a race along the Thames at Regatta London, an annual fundraiser and celebration of all paddle sports – or cheer on the competitors from land. This year's event has been cancelled.
Find heaps of seasonal special events and activities with our ultimate guide to autumn in London. Alternatively, take a look at our events calendar and guide to what's on in London, including the best London theatre shows.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London weather page.
Sign up for our monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.