Top September events
- September is usually festival season in London.
- Top September events each year include Open House London, Totally Thames, the London Design Festival and London Fashion Week.
- This month is usually your last chance to explore Buckingham Palace.
Make the most of the last few weeks of summer in September, when the weather is normally still warm and there's a whole range of unmissable events in London.
As the summer school holidays come to an end, the city welcomes an exciting line-up of architecture, fashion and music festivals – but there are still plenty of fun things to do for those family days out at the weekends.
Find a flavour of what's usually on in September below. Make sure to check the individual event for confirmation of this year's edition or plan ahead for next year.
September events in London
Best London festivals in September
- Enjoy a month-long celebration of London's river during Totally Thames. Admire artworks, catch concerts in unusual spaces and explore the history of the Thames through free exhibitions and walks.
- Experience the biggest classical music festival on the planet with last performances of the BBC Proms and the grand finale, BBC Proms in the Park.
- Spot innovative design projects and large-scale installations as they pop up all over the capital in September during the London Design Festival, and visit the festival hub at the V&A for more events to check out during the week.
- Catch up on the latest fashion trends with catwalk shows, pop-up designer shops and expert-led panels at London Fashion Week.
- Step inside some of the capital’s most iconic, unusual and, at times, secret buildings during the free Open House London festival.
- Enjoy free activities on 20km (12 miles) of traffic-free streets in London Bridge, Tower Bridge and the City of London during the Reimagine car-free day.
Late-summer events in London
- Take the last chance to step into the lavish State Rooms of Buckingham Palace during its summer opening.
- Let your hair down as Woolwich Carnival heats up the streets with music, dancing, costumes and stalls in celebration of London's cultures and communities.
- Catch a film under the stars on a warm September evening with The Luna Drive-in Cinema.
- Steep yourself in history through the Chelsea History Festival's programme of talks by world-class speakers, historians and performers.
London sports events
- Pick up your paddle and challenge yourself to a race along the Thames at Regatta London, an annual fundraiser and celebration of all paddle sports – or cheer on the competitors from land.
- Sign up and limber up for the Spitfire 10K, the Royal Air Force Museum’s fun run, which has become an annual tradition.
Find heaps of seasonal special events and activities with our ultimate guide to autumn in London. Alternatively, take a look at our events calendar and guide to what's on in London, including the best London theatre shows.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see this London weather page.
Sign up to the monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.