Top September events
- September is festival season in London.
- Top September events each year include Open House London, Totally Thames, the London Design Festival and London Fashion Week.
- This month is your last chance to explore Buckingham Palace gardens.
Make the most of the last few weeks of summer in September, when the weather is normally still warm and there's a whole range of unmissable events in London.
As the summer school holidays come to an end, the city welcomes an exciting lineup of architecture, fashion and music festivals – but there are still plenty of fun things to do for those family days out at the weekends.
Top September activities in London
- With the summer holidays over, it's a great time to visit London's top attractions without the crowds.
- ...Or see many attractions in one go with a sightseeing pass! The London Pass, the London Explorer Pass and the Merlin London Attractions Pass each allow you to visit multiple spots.
- Learn about London's history, seek out hidden gems or enjoy a thrilling ride with some of London's top tours.
- Discover somewhere new within reach of the capital on a day trip from London, including visits to Windsor Caste, Stonehenge, Bath, the Cotswolds and more.
- With the football season in full swing, why not go behind the scenes of your favourite team's ground on a stadium tour?
- Soak up some September sun or spot the leaves turning to autumnal hues in London's top parks and gardens, including iconic Kew Gardens.
- Take in some culture as many museums and galleries launch new exhibitions this month, including The Royal Academy of Arts' annual Summer Exhibition.
- ... or explore museums, galleries and attractions after dark with fun-filled lates events at the Museum of Youth Culture, London Dungeon, Tate Modern and Saatchi Gallery.
- Learn more about the fight against plastic pollution in our oceans with mesmerising immersive experience The Blue Paradox.
- Dance the night away and celebrate 30 years of the iconic London club with Ministry of Sound's Three Decades of Dance.
September events in London
New and returning theatre shows in September
- See three of London's longest-running shows return to the stage this month, with family favourite Wicked, thrilling Woman in Black and rousing Les Misérables all reopening.
Best London festivals in September
- Enjoy a month-long celebration of London's river during Totally Thames. Admire artworks, catch concerts in unusual spaces and explore the history of the Thames through free exhibitions and walks.
- Experience the biggest classical music festival on the planet with the remaining performances of this year's BBC Proms. Stay tuned for confirmation of BBC Proms in the Park in 2021.
- Spot innovative design projects and large-scale installations as they pop up all over the capital in September during the London Design Festival, including Bring London Together which transforms pedestrian crossings into colourful artworks.
- Catch up on the latest fashion trends with part-physical and part-online events, including catwalk shows, pop-up designer shops and expert-led panels at London Fashion Week.
- And bag yourself some exclusive fashion items or attend fun-filled events during Limited Edition London.
- Step inside some of the capital’s most iconic, unusual and, at times, secret buildings during the free Open House London festival.
- Celebrate contemporary photography at Photo London, as more than 100 galleries showcase photographers, events and activities.
- Explore the art of storytelling across three incredible days of live talks, workshops and screenings during Evening Standard Stories Festival in association with Netflix.
- Steep yourself in history through the annual Chelsea History Festival's programme of talks by world-class speakers, historians and performers.
- Make the most of City Beerfest-Lite in Guildhall Yard with an afternoon of beer, street food and live music.
- Head beneath St Martin-in-the-Fields church and listen to the smooth sounds of late-night jazz with Crypt Lates.
Outdoor events in London
- Grab the last chance to explore and picnic in Buckingham Palace's gardens this month. Book your Buckingham Palace gardens ticket now to avoid missing this unique opportunity.
- Let your nose lead you to fragrant blooms and explore pretty show gardens at world-famous RHS Chelsea Flower Show, which is taking place in September this year.
- Discover lots of outdoor arts and cultural performances, installations and more with the annual Greenwich+Docklands International Festival.
- Let your hair down as Woolwich Carnival heats up the streets with music, dancing, costumes and stalls in celebration of London's cultures and communities.
- Catch a film under the stars on a warm September evening with outdoor cinemas across the capital.
Find heaps of seasonal special events and activities with our ultimate guide to autumn in London. Alternatively, take a look at the handy events calendar and guide to what's on in London, including the best London theatre shows.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see this London weather page.
Sign up to the monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.