Top September events
- September is festival season in London.
- Top September events each year include Open House London, Totally Thames, the London Design Festival and London Fashion Week.
Content contains affiliate links – marked with asterisks. If you click through and make a purchase, Visit London receives a commission which is put back into our work promoting London.
Make the most of the last few weeks of summer in September, when the weather is normally still warm and there's a whole range of unmissable events in London.
As the summer school holidays come to an end, the city welcomes an exciting lineup of architecture, fashion and music festivals – but there are still plenty of fun things to do for those family days out at the weekends.
Top September activities in London
- With the summer holidays over, it's a great time to visit London's top attractions without the crowds.
- ...Or see many attractions in one go with a sightseeing pass! The London Pass*, the London Explorer Pass* and the Merlin London Attractions Pass each allow you to visit multiple spots.
- Learn about London's history, seek out hidden gems or enjoy a thrilling ride with some of London's top tours.
- Discover somewhere new within reach of the capital on a day trip from London, including visits to Windsor Caste, Stonehenge, Bath, the Cotswolds and more.
- With the football season in full swing, why not go behind the scenes of your favourite team's ground on a stadium tour?
- Soak up some September sun or spot the leaves turning to autumnal hues in London's top parks and gardens, including iconic Kew Gardens.
- Take in some culture as many museums and galleries launch new exhibitions this month.
- ... or explore museums, galleries and attractions after dark with fun-filled lates events.
September events in London
Theatre shows in September
- Book your seat for London's top musicals, from classic shows to new arrivals.
- Laugh out loud with award-winning comedy The Play That Goes Wrong, as everything that can go wrong does...
Best London festivals in September
- Enjoy a month-long celebration of London's river during Totally Thames. Admire artworks, catch concerts in unusual spaces and explore the history of the Thames through free exhibitions and walks.
- Experience the biggest classical music festival on the planet with the remaining performances of this year's BBC Proms.
- Spot innovative design projects and large-scale installations as they pop up all over the capital in September during the London Design Festival, including Bring London Together which transforms pedestrian crossings into colourful artworks.
- Catch up on the latest fashion trends with part-physical and part-online events, including catwalk shows, pop-up designer shops and expert-led panels at London Fashion Week.
- Step inside some of the capital’s most iconic, unusual and, at times, secret buildings during the free Open House London festival.
- Steep yourself in history through the annual Chelsea History Festival's programme of talks by world-class speakers, historians and performers.
Outdoor events in London
For more things to do in September in London, download the Visit London app.
Find heaps of seasonal special events and activities with our ultimate guide to autumn in London. Alternatively, take a look at the handy events calendar and guide to what's on in London, including the best London theatre shows.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see this London weather page.