- Summer is in full swing in August with plenty of open-air cinema and events on offer.
- Best August events include the Notting Hill Carnival, Film4 Summer Screen and Prudential RideLondon.
- Families are spoiled for choice with activities at top attractions during the summer holidays.
- The capital's main football season kicks-off this month.
August is one of the warmest months of the year in London, when you can enjoy the capital’s many outdoor and open-air activities and make the most of the warm summer days.
You can usually make the kids' summer memorable by taking them to London's best theatre shows during Kids Week, when tickets are heavily discounted.
What's on in London in August?
Iconic August events
- Spend a summer evening at the staging of Carousel or Dragons and Mythical Beasts at the Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre.
- Grab a comfy corner of the blanket for an evening at the Film4 Summer Screen at Somerset House or at London's best outdoor cinemas.
- Immerse yourself in all sorts of artsy performances in the maritime neighbourhood during Greenwich+Docklands International Festival.
- Feel the pomp at BBC Proms, a month-long annual celebration of classical music at Royal Albert Hall, which is in full swing in August.
Best London festivals
August bank holiday weekend in London
- Europe's largest street festival, the Notting Hill Carnival, comes to west London with a huge Caribbean party. Join more than one million people for three days of colourful floats, parades, music and dance over the August bank holiday (public holiday) weekend.
- Feel the electrifying atmosphere of South West Four music festival, buzzing with top tunes all weekend long at Clapham Common.
Unmissable London events
- Celebrate south Asian culture in London with The London Mela powered by Let's Go Southall, featuring food, music and street theatre.
- Join the world's greatest festival of cycling with two days of two-wheeled fun during Prudential RideLondon.
For more things to do in August in London, take a look at the events calendar and guide to what's on in London. And catch the best of the London stage with a guide to London theatre. Fancy a spontaneous break to London? Find out what you can do this weekend and what is on today.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see the London weather page.
Sign up for our monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.