- Summer is in full swing in August with plenty of open-air cinema and events on offer.
- Best August events include the Notting Hill Carnival, Film4 Summer Screen and Prudential RideLondon.
- Families are spoiled for choice with activities at top attractions during the summer holidays.
- The capital's main football season kicks-off this month.
August is one of the warmest months of the year in London, when you can enjoy the capital’s many outdoor and open-air activities and make the most of the warm summer days.
You can usually make the kids' summer memorable by taking them to London's best theatre shows during Kids Week, when tickets are heavily discounted.
What's on in London in August?
Iconic August events
- Grab a comfy corner of the blanket for an evening at the Film4 Summer Screen at Somerset House or at London's best outdoor cinemas.
- Immerse yourself in all sorts of artsy performances in the maritime neighbourhood during Greenwich+Docklands International Festival.
- Feel the pomp at BBC Proms, a month-long annual celebration of classical music at Royal Albert Hall, which is in full swing in August.
Best London festivals
August bank holiday weekend in London
- Europe's largest street festival, the Notting Hill Carnival, comes to west London with a huge Caribbean party. Join more than one million people for three days of colourful floats, parades, music and dance over the August bank holiday (public holiday) weekend.
- Feel the electrifying atmosphere of South West Four music festival, buzzing with top tunes all weekend long at Clapham Common.
Unmissable London events
For more things to do in August in London, take a look at our events calendar and guide to what's on in London. And catch the best of the London stage with our guide to London theatre. Fancy a spontaneous break to London? Find out what you can do this weekend and what is on today.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London weather page.
Sign up for our monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.