- Summer is in full swing in August with plenty of open-air entertainment on offer.
- August events include the Notting Hill Carnival, Film4 Summer Screen and Prudential RideLondon.
- There are lots of family-friendly activities during the summer holidays.
- The capital's main football season begins this month.
August is one of the warmest months of the year in London. Enjoy the capital’s many outdoor and open-air activities to make the most of the warm summer days.
Look out for children's activities at many London attractions, and take the kids to a top West End play or musical for free this month during Kids Week.
London's main football season kicks off in August. Experience one of London's great sporting passions during your visit by getting your hands on good-value tickets and soaking up the atmosphere at one of the capital's football clubs.
August events in London
Summer events in London
- Enjoy a summer evening at London's open-air cinemas, such as Rooftop Film Club in iconic London locations or on the capital's largest outdoor screen with Film4 Summer Screen at Somerset House.
- Follow the Illuminated River trail – London's new attraction – and discover the city in a new light during an evening stroll by the riverside.
- Buckingham Palace opens up its magnificent State Rooms to visitors with tours and special exhibitions, while the Queen is away on her summer holidays.
Top London festivals
- Head to the Royal Albert Hall for the BBC Proms classical music festival.
- Make your way to the south bank of the river Thames for the Underbelly Festival.
- Treat yourself to a sensory celebration of all things sweet at the London Dessert Festival.
- Lose yourself in the music during the bank holiday weekend at South West Four Festival.
- Fill your tummy with street food and sip on refreshing coolers at the Hampton Court Palace Food Festival.
- Soak in positive vibes all weekend long at Fearne Cotton's Happy Place Festival. Book tickets to Fearne Cotton's Happy Place Festival.
- Check out more of London's top music festivals this August.
August bank holiday weekend in London
- Europe's largest street festival, the Notting Hill Carnival, comes to west London with a huge Caribbean party. Join more than one million people for three days of colourful floats, parades, music and dance over the August bank holiday (public holiday) weekend.
Unmissable London events
- Celebrate south Asian culture in London with The London Mela powered by Let's Go Southall, featuring food, music and street theatre.
- See the iconic Whoopi Goldberg star in the hilarious story of friendship and sisterhood in the popular and funky Sister Act The Musical.
- Join the world's greatest festival of cycling with two days of two-wheeled fun during Prudential RideLondon.
For more things to do in August in London, take a look at our events calendar and guide to what's on in London. And catch the best of the London stage with our guide to London theatre. Fancy a spontaneous break to London? Find out what you can do this weekend and what is on today.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London weather page.
Sign up for our monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.