Easter is celebrated in April (sometimes falls in March).
Most shops are closed on Easter Sunday and there may be reduced public transport.
April events in London include the London Marathon, the Feast of St George and the Sikh festival of Vaisakhi.
The Queen’s official birthday is in June, but her actual birthday is 21 April.
By April, spring is definitely in the air. The coldest months have gone in favour of more sunshine and a few rain showers.
Visit the London Wetland Centre in south west London, or another one of London's city farms, zoos or nature reserves, to spot ducklings, chicks and other spring arrivals this month. Or sit back with a boat trip on the Thames or with a meal al fresco on a sunny day.
April events in London
In 2019, Easter falls in April (sometimes takes place in March). Many London attractions put on special activities for all the family, including egg hunts and interactive exhibitions, over the Easter weekend from 19 to 22 April. Keep an eye out for Easter-themed afternoon teas, and don't forget to treat yourself at one of London's top chocolate shops.
Most shops in London do not open on Easter Sunday, and there may be reduced public transport over the Easter weekend.
Get set for the arrival of the Underbelly Festival on London's South Bank, as a line-up of circus, theatre, cabaret, comedy, music and children's shows returns for the 11th year. Plus, grab a drink in the sunshine at one of the capital's largest outdoor bars.
Annual April events
- Try out new video games, play against professional gamers and hear from experts in the industry during the London Games Festival. TBC
- Celebrate England's national day in Trafalgar Square with the Feast of St George, including live music, food stalls, kids activities, and a friendly dragon. TBC
- Trafalgar Square also welcomes the Sikh festival of Vaisakhi with performances, arts events, food and family activities. TBC
London sports events
- April also sees two of the UK’s most prestigious universities battle it out in the annual Oxford and Cambridge Boat Races. 7 Apr
- You can enjoy one of the capital's biggest sporting events this month with the London Marathon. Soak up the party atmosphere and cheer on the thousands of participants from the sidelines as they run past some of London's top landmarks. 28 Apr
Special London April events
- Although the Queen celebrates her official birthday in June, her actual birthday is 21 April. Listen out for gun salutes being fired in central London to mark the occasion: one usually takes place at Hyde Park and another at the Tower of London. 21 Apr
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London Weather page.
Sign up for our monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.