Easter is celebrated in April (it sometimes falls in March).
Most shops are closed on Easter Sunday and there may be reduced public transport.
April events in London include the Feast of St George and the Sikh festival of Vaisakhi.
The London Marathon usually takes place in April, but is taking place in October in 2020.
The Queen’s official birthday is in June, but her actual birthday is 21 April.
By April, spring awakens London. As crisp sunny days and the first blossoms take over, the coldest months wave goodbye in favour of more sunshine and the occasional sharp shower.
Experience the city teeming with beautiful blooms in gardens and parks, or pop into one of London's city farms, zoos or nature reserves to spot chicks and other spring arrivals this month. Sit back on a boat trip on the Thames or treat yourself to al fresco dining on a sunny day.
What are the biggest annual events in April?
- In 2020, Easter falls in April. Hunt for eggs over the Easter weekend, tuck into Easter-themed afternoon teas, and indulge at one of London's top chocolate shops.
- Try out new video games, play against professional gamers and hear from experts in the industry during the London Games Festival.
- Celebrate England's national day in Trafalgar Square with the Feast of St George, including live music, food stalls, and a friendly dragon.
- Trafalgar Square also welcomes the Sikh festival of Vaisakhi with performances, arts events, food and family activities.
- Although the Queen celebrates her official birthday in June, her actual birthday is 21 April. Listen out for gun salutes in central London to mark the occasion: one usually takes place at Hyde Park and another at the Tower of London.
What’s on in London this April for art-lovers?
- Find the bag of your dreams as you explore the evolution of the beloved arm candy at the Bags: Inside Out exhibition at Victoria & Albert Museum.
- Learn about the transformative philosophy of Tantra in the Tantra Enlightenment to Revolution exhibition, which kicks-off at The British Museum.
- See Zanele Muholi's photographic and activist work at Tate Modern from the end of the month.
- Let your creativity run wild at workshops and exhibitions during London Craft Week.
- Marvel at the mesmerising shots of the night sky at the Insight Investment Astronomy Photographer of the Year exhibition, before it closes.
- Don't miss another blockbuster exhibition, which is coming to an end this month: Picasso and Paper at the Royal Academy of Arts.
Fun and quirky London events in April
- Perfect your latte-art skills for pretty Instagram shots, awaken your senses at tastings and share the love of the energising brew at The London Coffee Festival.
- Tease your taste buds with more than 380 varieties of wine at the Vintage Festival 2020 or have a gin-tastic time over at The Gin and Rum Festival.
- Join Tracy Turnblad as she navigates her new-found fame in uplifting musical Hairspray the Musical, starring Michael Ball. Book tickets to Hairspray the Musical now.
- Get a whiff of country life at the Country Living Spring Fair at Alexandra Palace...
- ...or go back to your roots and explore your ancestry at Family Tree Live, also at Alexandra Palace.
For more things to do in April in London, take a look at our events calendar and guide to what's on in London. And catch the best of the London stage with our theatre guide. Visiting over the weekend? Check out what's on in London this weekend.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London Weather page.
Sign up for our monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.