Easter is celebrated in April (sometimes falls in March).
Most shops are closed on Easter Sunday and there may be reduced public transport.
April events in London include the London Marathon, the Feast of St George and the Sikh festival of Vaisakhi.
The Queen’s official birthday is in June, but her actual birthday is 21 April.
By April, spring is definitely in the air. The coldest months have gone in favour of more sunshine and a few rain showers.
Spot beautiful blooms around the city as you head to one of London's city farms, zoos or nature reserves, to spot ducklings, chicks and other spring arrivals this month. Sit back with a boat trip on the Thames or treat yourself to a meal al fresco on a sunny day.
April events in London
Annual events in April
- In 2020, Easter falls in April. Hunt for eggs over the Easter weekend, tuck into Easter-themed afternoon teas, and indulge at one of London's top chocolate shops.
- Get set for the arrival of the Underbelly Festival on London's South Bank, featuring a line-up of circus, theatre, cabaret, comedy and music shows. Plus, grab a drink in the sunshine at one of the capital's largest outdoor bars.
- Try out new video games, play against professional gamers and hear from experts in the industry during the London Games Festival.
- Celebrate England's national day in Trafalgar Square with the Feast of St George, including live music, food stalls, and a friendly dragon.
- Trafalgar Square also welcomes the Sikh festival of Vaisakhi with performances, arts events, food and family activities.
London sports events
- Watch two of the UK’s most prestigious universities battle it out in the annual Oxford and Cambridge Boat Races.
- You can enjoy one of the capital's biggest sporting events this month with the London Marathon. Soak up the party atmosphere and cheer on the thousands of participants from the sidelines as they run past some of London's top landmarks.
Special London April events
- Although the Queen celebrates her official birthday in June, her actual birthday is 21 April. Listen out for gun salutes being fired in central London to mark the occasion: one usually takes place at Hyde Park and another at the Tower of London.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London Weather page.
Sign up for our monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.