Schools take a week-long half-term holiday in May. Choose from lots of family-friendly activities put on by top attractions this week.
In May, spring is well under way with warm weather and some delightful sunshine, but you may still need a light coat and a brolly, in case of a light drizzle.
There's also two public holidays (bank holidays) this month: the Early May Bank Holiday and Spring Bank Holiday, so keep an eye out for what’s on in London in May to make the most of the long weekends.
Unmissable London events May 2023
- Marvel at stunning horticultural displays at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show: Pick up the latest gardening trends and rehome a plant or two.
- Join the Eid Festival celebrations in Trafalgar Square: Enjoy family activities and feast on street food from around the world.
- Admire vibrant floral displays at Chelsea in Bloom: See the streets of Chelsea burst with colour at London's largest free flower festival.
- Get a ticket for the Women's FA Cup Final at Wembley stadium: Or join football fans in pubs all over London to cheer on your favourite team. 14 May
London theatre in May
- Be spellbound by Wicked at the Apollo Victoria: Experience magic as you watch the witches in the Wizard of Oz.
Check back nearer the time for confirmation of more theatre shows in London this May.
Family activities in May
- Plan a Harry Potter-themed day out: Have a magical adventure at Warner Bros. Studio Tour London – The Making of Harry Potter, where the iconic films were made.
- Make the most of a whole week for May half-term: Check out London's top attractions and the capital's popular kids attractions.
- Spend special moments together and see multiple attractions in one go: Pick up a sightseeing pass, such as the London Pass, the Go City London Explorer Pass or the Merlin London Attractions Pass.
- Head outdoors and explore London: Tour the city on an open-top or hop-on hop-off bus tour, or take to the river on a special Thames tour or cruise.
- Explore the Cutty Sark: Bring out your inner adventurer as you discover London's iconic ship.
London exhibitions in May
- Don't miss Yayoi Kusama: Infinity Mirror Rooms at Tate Modern: Be mesmerised by endless reflections as you step into the immersive installations.
What else is on in May?
- Start your spring at the annual Tulip Festival at Hampton Court Palace: Admire spectacular displays of rare and historic flowers all across the gardens.
- Watch ABBA Voyage at the ABBA Area, Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park: Sing along to your favourite ABBA hits in this state-of-the-art digital concert. Until 28 May
For more things to do in London in May, take a look at this events calendar and guide to what's on in London. And catch the best of the London stage with this London theatre guide. For on-the-go adventure ideas, download the Visit London app.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London Weather page.