Schools take a week-long half-term holiday in May. Choose from lots of family-friendly activities put on by top attractions this week.
Make plans for the two public holidays (bank holidays) in May with special events taking place over the long weekends.
Unmissable annual events include the RHS Chelsea Flower Show and the FA Cup finals.
In May, spring is well under way with warm weather and some delightful sunshine, but you may still need a light coat and a brolly, in case of a light drizzle.
There are also two public holidays (bank holidays) this month: the Early May Bank Holiday and the Spring Bank Holiday. So, keep an eye out for what’s on in London in May to make the most of the extended weekends.
What's on in London in May?
- Celebrate the heritage of the capital with events, activities and exhibitions on London History Day.
- Marvel at stunning horticultural displays, pick up the latest gardening trends and rehome a plant or two at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show.
- Check out world-class photography from across the globe at Somerset House's Photo London each May.
- Join the Eid Festival celebrations in Trafalgar Square every May, featuring family activities and street food from around the world.
Outdoor events in May
- Watch a play in the sun as some of London's biggest open-air theatre summer seasons usually kick off this month, including Regent's Park Open Air Theatre and Shakespeare's Globe.
- Admire the floral displays of the surrounding streets for Chelsea in Bloom or stop by Covent Garden to be wowed by Covent Garden in Bloom and the striking floral displays of Fleurs De Villes.
- Take dining to new heights with the ultimate experience for foodies and adrenaline junkies, London in the Sky, which usually opens in May.
- For a music festival in London in May, make an appearance at All Points East at Victoria Park.
- You’re in for a treat, The May Fair at Grosvenor Square usually brings seaside vibes to the city on the early May bank holiday weekend.
Exciting events for your calendar
For more things to do in London in May, take a look at our events calendar and guide to what's on in London. And catch the best of the London stage with our London theatre guide. For on-the-go adventure ideas, download the Visit London App.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London Weather page.
Sign up for our monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.