January is the quietest time of year to visit London (and possibly, the cheapest).
The famous January sales are on across the capital.
Top January events include the New Year’s Day Parade and activities for Chinese New Year.
You can still enjoy some Christmas activities, including ice skating rinks, Hogwarts in the Snow and festive shows.
January is one of the best months to visit on a budget. The January sales are on, so you can shop at some of London's top shopping destinations for less. Plus, many hotels offer reductions at this time of year.
London's attractions are quieter than usual this month, so it's a great time to enjoy a stroll around a museum and avoid queues at popular attractions. And, don't forget, many of London's attractions are free!
Make sure to wrap up warm when out exploring London in winter. Then, take refuge from the cold in one of London's cosy pubs, or enjoy a hot drink with a view on a heated rooftop terrace transformed for winter.
January events in London
Festive London activities
- Join the thousands of onlookers and cheer on the marching brass bands, colourful performers and elaborate floats in the New Year's Day Parade.
- Burn off the Christmas treats by joining the New Year’s Day 10K run or the 3k Fun Run.
- Continue the festive fun with plenty more New Year's Day activities in London.
- Go ice skating on one of London's temporary outdoor ice rinks, many of which are still open at the start of the month.
- Explore the Harry Potter film studios transformed for winter at Hogwarts in the Snow.
- Discover the Winter festival at Southbank Centre and Christmas in Leicester Square before they close in the first week of January.
- Lose yourself in a lantern-filled world of Chiswick House Gardens as Lightopia kicks-off later this month.
- Catch one last Christmas show or pantomime.
January festivals and fairs
- Join in on London's huge Chinese New Year celebrations. Find all you need to know about enjoying the annual festival, with our Chinese New Year guide.
- Head to Brent, The Mayor's London Borough of Culture 2020, as a year-long series of events and activities commences.
- See Canary Wharf sparkle with interactive artworks and light installations during the Canary Wharf Winter Lights festival.
- Browse and buy contemporary British art at the London Art Fair, with work on display from more than 100 galleries.
- Enjoy Burns Night in London with haggis and tatties, bagpipes, dancing and plenty of whisky, to mark the birthday of Scottish poet Robert Burns.
- Treat yourself to a wander (or a shopping spree) among more than 1,500 design-led brands at the Top Drawer fair.
- Indulge in the finest food and wine at one of Europe's most prestigious gastro events, Obsession 2020.
- Take moving stories and see the latest works in film at the London Short Film Festival.
Quirky events in London in January
- Gasp at some of the most unique performances during the London International Mime Festival.
- See spectacular acrobatics and incredible acts at Cirque du Soleil's Luzia at the Royal Albert Hall.
- Surround yourself with your favourite drag queens as RuPaul's DragCon UK comes to London with a full blast of queen-worthy activity.
- Mix up your January with a whole programme of buzzing musical events during the month-long London Remixed Festival.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London weather page.
Sign up for our monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.