Shop for great deals in London's January sales.
Experience London's top January events, including Lumiere London, the New Year’s Day Parade and activities for Burns Night.
If you're still feeling festive, enjoy one last Christmas-themed day out this month with ice skating rinks, Christmas in Leicester Square, Hogwarts in the Snow and festive shows.
Discover the capital on a budget and avoid the crowds when visiting London in January.
January is one of the best months to visit on a budget. The January sales are on, so you can shop at some of London's top shopping destinations for less. Plus, many hotels offer reductions at this time of year.
London's attractions are quieter than usual this month, so it's a great time to enjoy a stroll around a quiet museum and avoid queues at popular attractions. And, don't forget, many of London's attractions are free!
Make sure to wrap up warm when out exploring London in winter. Then, take refuge from the cold in one of London's cosy pubs, or enjoy a hot drink with a view on a heated rooftop terrace transformed for winter.
January events in London
London's New Year's Day Parade
Join the thousands of onlookers and cheer on the marching brass bands, colourful performers and elaborate floats in the New Year's Day Parade, as it winds its way through the city on 1 January. And continue the fun with plenty more New Year's Day activities in London.
The UK's biggest light festival, Lumiere London, returns in 2018 with more than 40 spectacular installations dotted around the city. Discover the different light displays for free between 18 and 21 January.
Festive events in London in January
- Go ice skating on one of London's temporary outdoor ice rinks, many of which are still open at the start of the month, while Canary Wharf's ice rink stays open until February.
- Explore the Harry Potter film studios transformed for winter at Hogwarts in the Snow. Until 28 Jan
- Discover Wintertime at Southbank Centre and Christmas in Leicester Square before they close in the first week of January.
- Catch one last Christmas show or pantomime.
- Find more wintery things to do in London.
Annual January festivals and fairs
- Set sail for the London Boat Show which showcases vessels of all shapes and sizes, as well as new watersporting trends. 10-14 Jan
- Watch short film screenings and meet industry experts during the January London Short Film Festival. 12-21 Jan
- Browse and buy contemporary British art at the London Art Fair, with work on display from more than 100 galleries. 17-21 Jan
- Celebrate Burns Night in London with haggis and tatties, bagpipes, dancing and plenty of whisky, to mark the birthday of the Scottish poet. 25 Jan
- London's huge Chinese New Year celebrations take place each year in January or February. In 2018, the Chinese New Year event is happening on 18 February.
For more things to do in January in London, take a look at our events calendar and guide to what's on in London, or download a free copy of the January London Planner. And catch the best of the London stage with our roundup of top London January shows.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London Weather page.
Sign up for our monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.