Make the most of the first day of 2020 with these New Year’s Day events and activities in London.
London's New Year's Day Parade
The highlight of the New Year’s Day celebrations in London is the New Year’s Day Parade, which sees more than 10,000 dancers, acrobats, musicians and performers fill the parade route and hundreds of thousands of spectators line the streets to witness the event.
New Year's Day activities
Many of London’s iconic attractions and most popular activities can be enjoyed on 1 January (always check opening times in advance). Below were some of the top in 2019 :
- Go ice skating on one of London's coolest ice rinks.
- Take a long stroll with friends and family in a beautiful London park.
- Shop the January sales at London’s top department stores and main shopping areas.
- Make the most of your last chance to visit Winter Wonderland, Christmas at Kew and Christmas at ZSL London Zoo.
- See the sights on a hop on hop off bus tour.
- Visit one of the capital’s famous museums and attractions; the V&A, Science Museum, Tate Modern and many more are open.
- Catch up on culture at a top exhibition.
New Year's Day after dark
As night draws in, there's still plenty to do on New Year's Day:
- Spot the Christmas lights still shining bright across the city, and look out for London's best Christmas trees. It's even more fun to see them on an evening open-top bus tour.
- Watch a best-selling West End musical or if you're still feeling festive, there's plenty of time to enjoy a magical Christmas show.
- Celebrate at a New Year's Day concert: both St Martin-in-the-Fields and Barbican Centre usually host New Year's Day shows.
- Avoid the New Year's Eve crowds and party at a New Year’s Day club night instead.
- Relax with friends and family in one of the capital’s best cosy pubs, or celebrate the New Year with a cocktail at a rooftop bar.
Travelling in London on New Year's Day
Public transport is limited on New Year’s Day; check the TFL Journey Planner for travel details.