Make the most of the first day of 2023 with these New Year’s Day events and activities in London.
Many of London’s iconic attractions and most popular activities can be enjoyed on 1 January (always check opening times in advance).
London's New Year's Day Parade 2023
The highlight of the New Year’s Day celebrations in London is the New Year’s Day Parade, which usually features performances from more than 10,000 dancers, acrobats, musicians and entertainers in central London.
New Year’s Day concerts
- Visit one of London's beautiful churches and cathedrals for spectacular New Year's Day concerts.
- Head to the Barbican for its annual New Year’s Day prom and listen to thrilling music from the likes of Verdi and Strauss.
More New Year's Day in London activities
- Go ice skating on one of London's coolest ice rinks.
- Take a long stroll in a beautiful London park.
- Shop the January sales at London’s top department stores and main shopping areas.
- Make the most of your last chance to visit Christmas at Kew.
- See the sights on a hop-on hop-off bus tour.
- Visit one of the capital’s famous museums and attractions; the V&A, Science Museum, Tate Modern and many more are usually open.
- Catch up on culture at a top exhibition.
New Year's Day after dark
- Spot the London Christmas lights still shining bright across the city and look out for some of the capital's best Christmas trees. It's even more fun to see them on an evening open-top bus tour!
- Watch a best-selling West End musical or if you're still feeling festive, there's plenty of time to enjoy a magical Christmas show.
- Party at a New Year’s Day club night.
- Relax in one of the capital’s best cosy pubs or toast to 2023 with a cocktail at a rooftop bar.
Travelling in London on New Year's Day
Public transport is limited on New Year’s Day, so check the TFL Journey Planner for travel details.