Book family-friendly attractions
Get tickets to key attractions and things to do with kids in London now:
From free museums and family-friendly restaurants to fun kids activities, there are plenty of things to do in London with kids.
Big-hitter family attractions
- Go behind the scenes of the Harry Potter film series at the Warner Bros. Studio Tour London.
- Get a taste for the high life on the London Eye.
- See sharks, green sea turtles, penguins and more in the SEA LIFE London aquarium.
- Take in sky-high views across London at The View from The Shard.
- Rub shoulders with the rich and famous at wax figure museum Madame Tussauds London.
- Try out a fun lineup of professions through role-play adventures at KidZania.
Plan a fun-filled day out or longer with more of London's top attractions for kids.
Top theatre for kids
- Be amazed by top musicals, including family favourites The Lion King and Wicked.
- Sing along with Arendelle's princesses Anna and Elsa, as they go on a magical adventure in Frozen.
- See one of Roald Dahl's most celebrated stories brought to life at Matilda The Musical.
- Follow Harry, Ron and Hermione in a magical on-stage adventure with Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.
- Enjoy a puppet show in a watery setting at the magical Puppet Theatre Barge.
- Enjoy a show in one of the city’s family-friendly children’s theatres.
Best museums for kids
- Learn all about the capital's classic red bus at the London Transport Museum.
- Explore the anthropological Horniman Museum and Gardens in South London where children can touch museum objects.
- See a four-and-a-half-billion-year-old meteorite in the Peter Harrison Planetarium at the Royal Observatory Greenwich.
- Experience the ground-shaking sensation of an earthquake at the Natural History Museum.
- Visit the Science Museum to ogle the Command Module of Apollo 10, a spacecraft that went around the moon in 1969.
- Experience the legends of the WW2 warship HMS Belfast with hands on activities for children.
- See Egyptian mummies during a visit to the British Museum.
- Walk in the footsteps of ancient Londinium as you explore London's Roman Amphitheatre.
- Brush up on your knowledge of modern art and get creative with kids activities at Tate Modern.
Top attractionsFind tickets to top London attractions.
Film locations and movie experiences
- Visit the locations from the Harry Potter films and books while exploring Harry Potter’s London.
- Check out Shrek’s Adventure! London, an indoor walk-and-ride attraction inspired by the hit film.
- Follow in the footsteps of movie stars with a visit to the capital’s top film locations.
- Shoot selfies with the kids' favourite movie characters at the Scenes in the Square statue trail.
- Enjoy a film on the UK's biggest cinema screen at the BFI IMAX on the South Bank.
Warner Bros. Studio Tour LondonExplore the Harry Potter film studios.
Free things to do for children
- Be wowed by the street entertainers in Covent Garden.
- Play soldiers during a visit to the National Army Museum.
- Go on a journey through London’s past and learn about the history of British currency at the Bank of England Museum.
- Learn about the history of the river Thames at the Museum of London Docklands.
- Take a fascinating voyage into maritime history at the National Maritime Museum.
- See Tower Bridge open from the bank of the river Thames.
Transport attractions for kids
- Take a ride through underground tunnels on the Mail Rail train at the Postal Museum.
- Discover what life was like onboard the legendary sailing ship, Cutty Sark.
- Hop on a miniature railway in Brockwell Park (every Sunday from March until October).
- Explore The Golden Hinde, a full-scale reconstruction of Sir Francis Drake’s famous sailing galleon.
London Transport MuseumSpot London transport icons and posters.
Blow your mind
- Stand astride two hemispheres on the Prime Meridian Line at Royal Observatory Greenwich.
- Step into a world like no other at the graffiti wonderland, Leake Street Tunnel.
- Feel the wind in your hair at high-speed rollercoasters at Thorpe Park.
- Let your imagination run wild at the Discover Children’s Story Centre.
- Indulge your sweet tooth further with more themed afternoon teas, ranging from Peter Pan to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
- Discover London’s wildest family dining adventure at the Jungle Cave.
- Tuck into tasty food inspired by international cuisine at Giraffe, in various locations across central London.
- Feast on ice cream, gelato or sorbet at top ice-cream parlours, or stuff yourself with cupcakes, brownies and macaroons at one of these cake shops.
- Head to the Hard Rock Cafe for a family-friendly meal with a side of music treasures.
- On a budget? Have a picnic in one of London’s Royal Parks or at these mouthwatering picnic spots.
Outdoor kids activities
- Explore ancient woodland in Epping Forest, or let the little ones run wild in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
- Go bug hunting and pond dipping at Camley Street Natural Park in King’s Cross.
- Get lost in Hampton Court Palace’s incredible gardens and parkland.
- Hop on two wheels and discover a different side of the city with these fun cycling routes.
- Catch a film under the stars at one of London's best outdoor cinemas.
- Spot the capital's bridges shining bright after dark with Illuminated River.
- Take part in fun summer holiday outdoor activities, including exploring Hyde Park with Discovery Days.
Best adventure playgrounds for kids
- Let the little ones become pirates for the day on Captain Hook's huge wooden pirate ship at the Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Playground.
- Have hours of fun at Coram’s Fields, a seven-acre (three-hectare) park and playground in Holborn.
- Spend a fun day out exploring Timber Lodge and Tumbling Bay Playground at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, featuring rock pools, treehouses, slides, swings and plenty of space to run about.
Activities for teenagers
- Enjoy an exhilarating ride down the river Thames on a speedboat tour.
- Learn all about the Bard on a tour of Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre.
- Scare yourself silly by delving into the capital’s dark and bloody history at the London Dungeon.
- Head down into the underground headquarters that sheltered Churchill and his wartime government during the Blitz at Churchill War Rooms.
- Explore the history of surgery at the Old Operating Theatre, Museum and Herb Garret.
- Have a thrill-a-minute water adventure at Lee Valley White Water Centre.
- See Napoleon’s toothbrush and Darwin’s walking stick at the Wellcome Collection.
- Take a trip into the haunted tunnels of London’s famous bridge at the terrifying London Bridge Experience.
- Hear the stories of people whose lives have been impacted by war at the Imperial War Museum London.
Travelling in London with kids
- Soar above the river Thames in the IFS Cloud Cable Car and enjoy great views of London.
- Rest your feet while getting an eyeful of the city’s top attractions onboard a hop-on hop-off bus tour.
- Sit at the front of a driverless Docklands Light Railway train to pretend you’re driving it!
- Climb aboard a classic Concorde and enjoy a virtual "flight" at the Brooklands Museum.
- Sail along the river Thames on a City Cruises boat.
Action-packed things to do
- Explore the gorgeous grounds of Kew Gardens.
- Over-10s can enjoy an exhilarating expedition over the roof of The O2 with Up at The O2.
- Hire a pedalo or a rowing boat at the Serpentine Lake in Hyde Park.
- Race to the top of Primrose Hill, where you’ll be rewarded with panoramic views of London.
- Swim in the wake of champions at the Aquatics Centre, which hosted swimming and diving events during the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
- Enjoy a refreshing dip in one of London’s gorgeous lidos.
- Little ones can take on a skyscraper at Chelsea’s Clip n’ Climb (over fours).
- Jump for joy at the Oxygen Freejumping at The O2.
London farms and zoos
- Get up close to lions, tigers and penguins at London Zoo.
- Spot birds, otters and other wildlife at the WWT London Wetland Centre.
- Pet and feed farmyard animals at one of London’s city farms.
- Meet monkeys, meerkats and more at Battersea Park Children’s Zoo.
- Watch the pelicans being fed in St James’s Park.
- Go deer-spotting in Richmond Park.
Shops for kids
- Find toys galore in London’s most famous toyshop, Hamleys.
- Visit the world's largest sweet shop at M&M’s World in Leicester Square.
- Shop at the world's largest LEGO Store, before visiting the LEGO heaven at LEGOLAND Windsor.
- Little vampires and werewolves can stock up on quality goods at Hoxton Street Monster Supplies.
Quirky things to do in London with kids
- See an over-stuffed walrus and a merman at the Horniman Museum.
- Marvel at a jar crammed full of moles at the Grant Museum of Zoology.
- Roam among the world's oldest life-size dinosaur sculptures at Crystal Palace Park.
- Step inside the London home of one of the world’s most famous detectives at the Sherlock Holmes Museum.
- Go mudlarking outside Gabriel’s Wharf, where you can dig around for ancient clay pipes and bits of pottery.
- Lose yourself among the quirky old toys at Stephen Wright's House of Dreams (or nightmares!) in East Dulwich and the tiny Pollock's Toy Museum.
- Flex your mini golf skills at the tech-packed Puttshack.
- Or take it outside at the Crazy Putt Adventure Golf at Greenwich Peninsula.
- Get ready for the ultimate team challenge at the The Crystal Maze LIVE Experience London.
Thrilling London attractions
- Whizz down the UK’s tallest public artwork with a 40-second ride on the tallest and longest tunnel slide in the world at ArcelorMittal Orbit.
- Brave The Dare Skywalk and scale 46.8m (153ft) above Tottenham Hotspur Stadium's pitch.
- Enjoy a zip wire treetop adventure at Go Ape Battersea.
- Take a trip to one of London’s theme parks for an adrenaline-packed day out.
Discover more family activities in London and find family-friendly restaurants.
Check more family ideas and activities during the school holidays, including things to do during February half-term, the Easter holidays, the May half-term holiday, the school summer holidays, the October half-term and Christmas.
If you're in London this weekend, check out the epic activities awaiting you in the city.