For more family ideas, check out our Let's Do London guide. Make sure to share your adventures on social media using the #LetsDoLondon hashtag!
- See the capital differently on the Eye-conic London Art Trail and spot inflatable eyeballs, designed by artist Filthy Luker, hidden in trees across the city using the Visit London app. Aug
- Grab an easel and make some art to treasure for a lifetime with the kids this summer with Sketch on the Square. Aug
- Delight in the sounds of the London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Sir Simon Rattle with the free BMW Classics concert in Trafalgar Square. 15 Aug
- Soak up all the thrilling cricketing action this summer during The Hundred – a 100-ball tournament – at Kia Oval and Lord’s Cricket Ground. Until 21 Aug
- Admire colourful artworks dotted across Canary Wharf, celebrating the wonders of natural light, during the Summer Lights festival. Until 21 Aug
- Head to Dodge to feast on street food, snap cool installations and ride the dodgems in the stunning setting of Somerset House's courtyard. Until 22 Aug
- Be creative at Tate Modern by drawing your own creations on the floor of Turbine Hall as part of UNIQLO Tate Play, and find plenty more family activities over summer. Until 29 Aug
- Get ready for a fortnight of Formula Fun! You and the kids can design, build and decorate your very own go kart, before racing it in the hopes of being crowned champions of London. 21 Aug-4 Sep
- Enjoy musical performances across Network Rail stations in central London from 12pm to 6pm with Busk in London. Until 30 Aug
- Spend a day out at Westminster Abbey with special activities for families over the summer holidays, including object handling, storytelling and tours. Until 31 Aug
- Climb aboard HMS Belfast for fun activities that'll keep the kids entertained for hours, from interactive missions to educational challenges. Until 31 Aug
- Be dazzled by the Music of the Spheres in the Royal Docks, which sees musicians, aerial artists and dancers perform in land and water-based bubbles. 4 Sep
- Join the Museum of London's Great Fire of London family walk to learn all about the devastating fire that spread through the city in 1666. Various dates
- Find out what's on over the summer school holidays in London.
Fun exhibitions for kids
- Tumble down the rabbit hole for an adventure through the adaptations, origins and reinventions of Alice in Wonderland with Alice: Curiouser and Curiouser at the V&A. Until 31 Dec
- Be dazzled by magic and the natural world as they combine in Fantastic Beasts: The Wonder of Nature at the Natural History Museum. Until 3 Jan
- Sip on Butterbeer, ride a broomstick and trace magical moments of filmmaking history with The Harry Potter Photographic Exhibition, as a collection of behind-the-scenes photographs go on display at the London Film Museum.
- Enjoy storytelling, family trails and the chance to learn about urban landscapes with Climate Crossroads at the London Transport Museum.
- Or get creative with TfL's Craft Club activities while out and about this summer.
Plan a trip to London to explore these incredible museums for kids.
Summer festivals for families
- Kids can go free to top London theatre shows during the month-long Kids Week. Bag a half-price kids ticket for every half-price adult ticket! Aug
- And join in with a lineup of free outdoor activities during the Kids Week festival in Leicester Square Gardens, including shows, singalongs, dance classes and storytelling. 23-27 Aug
- Get ready for open-air art, live music, incredible performances and more family fun during the Summer Reunion festival across the Southbank Centre. Until 30 Aug
- Admire an exhibition made up of more than 200 artworks by children of all ages at The O2 as part of the Festival of Hope. Until 31 Aug
- Take the kids to the Culture Mile for workshops and activities that'll spark their imagination with Play Packs Live. Until 11 Sep
- Pull up a deckchair and bask in the sunshine while enjoying the sounds of jazz, soul, R&B and more with St Martin-in-the-Fields’ free Summer Stage. Until 12 Sep
- Enjoy an incredible programme of outdoor theatre and performances during the Greenwich+Docklands International Festival. 27 Aug-11 Sep
- Drop by Kensington and Chelsea for a Summer of Love with wildlife bingo, walking tours, live music and more for families. Until Sep
- Make the most of free and budget-friendly activities for kids during the school holidays with the Camden Together festival. Until 31 Oct
- The Art of London Summer Season brings an Augmented Gallery of magnificent artworks and pop-up installations to London's West End. Plus, keep an eye out for cool takeovers of the Piccadilly Lights every day at 8.21pm! Until 1 Nov
- Plan a day out in the City of London as the area plays host to walks and tours, outdoor performances, live music, pop-up installations and more across the Square Mile.
Take a look at more things to do with kids in London.
Top attractions for families
- Celebrate the Trolls World Tour with fun Troll-themed activities for kids at Shrek’s Adventure! London, including the opportunity for kids to meet their favourite characters over the school holidays.
- Head to the Giants of the Galapagos exhibit (from 30 Aug) to say hello to Dolly, Polly and Priscilla as the giant tortoises move into their new home at ZSL London Zoo.
- From Paddington Bear to Mary Poppins, go on the hunt for stars of the screen on the Scenes in the Square statue trail in Leicester Square.
- Explore the flora and fauna of the Barbican Conservatory over the summer months with a free audio trail for kids.
- Follow in the footsteps of your favourite wizard with a visit to the magical Warner Bros. Studio Tour – The Making of Harry Potter. A must-visit for any Harry Potter fan!
- Little ones can have a great time trying out different careers in the city specially built for children at KidZania.
- Journey to the depths of the ocean at SEA LIFE London Aquarium, which is home to sharks, penguins, jellyfish and more incredible creatures.
- Come face to face with some of your favourite celebrities and take a selfie with the wax figures at Madame Tussauds.
- Prepare to be scared at the London Dungeon while exploring the capital's most horrible history.
- Visit top family attractions for less with a money-saving pass this summer, with options including the London Pass, London Explorer Pass or the Merlin London Attractions Pass.
- Take a ride on the world's tallest and longest tunnel slide with The Slide at ArcelorMittal Orbit this summer.
Plan a visit to more top attractions in London.
Outdoor activities for kids
- Download the South Ken Green Trail map to explore wildflower meadows, art installations, beautiful gardens and more with the kids.
- Learn all about wildlife, go pond dipping, search for bugs and get crafty in London’s Hyde Park with themed Discovery Days over the school holidays.
- Teach the little ones all about the city this summer with these outdoor London Curriculum Family Explorer Trails.
- Play detective with Sherlock: The Official Outdoor Game and solve a series of challenging clues to complete your mission.
- Be led by sound on a trail of discovery across London Bridge with Congregation by award-winning composer Ray Lee. 11-15 Aug
- Let the kids burn off some energy as Street Games take over the outdoor spaces of the Southbank Centre. Until 29 Aug
- Check out more things to do outdoors in London.
Best theatre shows for kids
- Be one of the first to see Andrew Lloyd Webber’s much-anticipated adaptation of Cinderella as it makes its world premiere in London.
- Let the little ones travel to the Serengeti over the summer school holidays during Disney’s well-loved tale of The Lion King.
- Go on a magical adventure with everyone's favourite nanny, Mary Poppins. Plus, make sure to sing along to Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! From 7 Aug
- Join Marty McFly and the Doc for a time-travelling adventure with the Back to the Future musical. From 20 Aug
- Head to Shakespeare’s Globe for family-friendly storytelling sessions in the Sam Wanamaker Playhouse, from Macbeth to Romeo and Juliet. Until 22 Aug
- Take the kids to see the iconic musical of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat this summer in London. Until 5 Sep
- Be dazzled by the untold story of two witches and their against-all-odds friendship in the magical land of Oz with Wicked. From 15 Sep
- Follow the heartwarming story of Matilda as Roald Dahl's classic tale comes to life on the West End stage. From 16 Sep
- Grab your tickets for a family show, circus performance or comedy sketch at the Underbelly Festival in London's West End. Until 26 Sep
- Discover why Everybody's Talking About Jamie with this feel-good musical at the Apollo Theatre. Until 26 Sep
Book tickets for some of the top musicals in London.
Things to do with older kids
- Indulge in delicious treats while passing some of the capital's most-famous landmarks on a Brigit's Bakery afternoon tea bus tour.
- Catch a family film under summer skies at an outdoor cinema in Insta-worthy settings across the capital.
- Take on aliens to save the planet in an electrifying battle through time and space with the immersive Doctor Who: Time Fracture experience.
Check out more things to do with teenagers in London.
When you're out and about with the kids, make sure to map your route around London's top family activities with the Visit London app.