Discover an exciting programme of art exhibitions, music events, craft fairs and winter ice skating at cultural hub Somerset House.
Set around an 18th-century courtyard, this buzzing arts centre is housed within an iconic neoclassical building.
Where is Somerset House?
Overlooking the river Thames, Somerset House is situated on the Strand in central London near Covent Garden.
What is there to do at Somerset House?
Somerset House contains the Courtauld Gallery, which reopened in 2021 after an extensive modernisation project. Enjoy a collection of works from the Renaissance to the 20th century, as well as temporary exhibitions and other events.
Refuel at one of Somerset House's six restaurants and cafes. Tuck into authentic Indian food at Dipna Anand Restaurant & Bar; feast on seasonal food at chef Skye Gyngell's Spring; sip cocktails, beer and wine at Pennethorne’s; enjoy tapas and views of the London skyline at Somerset House Terrace Bar; embrace locally sourced and planet-friendly food at Eat Ten; or indulge in coffee and tempting baked goods at WatchHouse.
In summer, bring a picnic and let the children splash about in the courtyard’s choreographed fountains.
Is Somerset House free to visit?
Admission to Somerset House is free, but you'll need a ticket for some exhibitions and events.
Which events take place at Somerset House?
Somerset House has a jam-packed cultural programme, featuring a range of cutting-edge exhibitions and events.
Annual festivals include the London Design Biennale, games festival Now Play This, 1.54 Contemporary African Art Fair and photography fair Photo London. The gorgeous Edmond J.Safra Fountain Court hosts live music concerts with Summer Series and ice skating with Skate at Somerset House during the winter months.
Facilities & Accessibility
- Access Inside Building Facilities
- Accessible lift
- Lift buttons with raised numbers or letters
- Lift with spoken announcements on arrival at each floor
- Ramps within building
- Some routes suitable for limited mobility users
- Some routes suitable for wheelchair users
- Steps within building
- Access into the Building
- Assisted wheelchair access
- Automatic doors
- Steps with handrails to entrance
- Temporary ramps available
- Accessible Bathroom Facilities
- Bathrooms available with emergency call system
- Designated wheelchair accessible public toilet
- Some toilets with handrails
- Accessible Communication Facilities
- Audible alarm system
- Clear signage (colour contrast, large letters or pictograms)
- Hearing loop system
- Accessible Parking Facilities
- Blue badge parking available
- Accessible Venue Facilities
- Assistance dogs welcome
- Emergency evacuation procedures for guests with disabilities
- Level access, ramp or lift to dining area
- Level access, ramp or lift to restaurant or cafe
- Level access, ramp or lift to the bar
- Level access, ramp or lift to the lounge
- Level access, ramp or lift to the shop
- Special dietary requirements catered for
- Staff available to assist
- Staff available twenty four hours
- Staff disability awareness trained
- Additional Accessible Facilities
- Accessible baby changing rooms
- Level access, ramp or lift from entrance to reception
- Level access, ramp or lift to information point
- Level access, ramp or lift to ticket issuing point
- Low reception or information counters
- Portable chip and pin machines
- Attraction Facilities
- Gift shop
- Public toilets
- Booking Facilities
- Group bookings accepted
- Catering Facilities
- Event catering
- Halal options on menu
- Kosher options on menu
- Nut-free option on menu
- Outdoor dining / Beer garden
- Private Dining
- Vegetarian options on menu
- Event Facilities
- Available for wedding receptions
- Breakout Rooms
- Civil Partnership licence held
- Conference rooms / Meeting rooms
- Event facilities
- In house AV available
- Licenced for civil marriages
- Raked or tiered seating offered
- Trade vehicle access
- Venue allows outside catering
- Venue can display vehicles inside
- Wedding service
- General Facilities
- Payment Facilities
- Free entry