Discover an exciting programme of art exhibitions, outdoor film screenings and winter ice skating at cultural hub Somerset House
Set around a handsome 18th-century courtyard, this buzzing arts centre is housed within an iconic neoclassical building.
Where is Somerset House?
Overlooking the river Thames, Somerset House is situated on the Strand in central London near Covent Garden.
What is there to do at Somerset House?
Admission to Somerset House is free, but you'll need a ticket for some exhibitions and events.
Refuel at one of Somerset House's five restaurants and cafes. Tuck into modern British fare at Bryn Williams; feast on seasonal food at chef Skye Gyngell';s Spring; sip cocktails, beer and wine at Pennethorne’s; enjoy coffee, sandwiches and cakes at Hej Coffee; or indulge in coffee and tempting baked goods at Watch House.
In summer, bring a picnic and watch children splash about in the courtyard’s choreographed fountains.;
Somerset House also houses the Courtauld Gallery, which is currently closed for renovation and due to reopen in spring 2021.
Which events take place at Somerset House?
Somerset House has a jam-packed cultural programme, featuring a raft of cutting-edge exhibitions and events.
Annual festivals include the London Design Biennale, games festival Now Play This, 1.54 Contemporary African Art Fair and photography fair Photo London. The gorgeous Edmond J.Safra Fountain Court hosts live music concerts with Summer Series; movie screenings with Film4 Summer Screen; and ice skating with Skate at Somerset House during the winter months.
Free Admission excluding admission to the Embankment Galleries, The Courtauld Gallery or specified events.
Admission may vary. Please check http://www.somersethouse.org.uk/ for further information
This content has been supplied by Somerset House
Somerset House is open every day except 25 December. Admission is free, but you'll need to buy a ticket for some exhibitions and events. Gallery & exhibition spaces Monday, Tuesday, Saturday & Sundays 10.00-18.00* Wednesdays, Thursdays & Fridays 11.00-
Images and Videos
Venue Details & Map
- +44 (0)20 7845 4600
- Public transport:
- London Underground: Temple Covent Garden Charing Cross Embankment Waterloo Rail: Charing Cross Blackfriars Waterloo
Facilities & Accessibility
- Access Inside Building Facilities
- Accessible lift
- Lift buttons with raised numbers or letters
- Lift with spoken announcements on arrival at each floor
- Ramps within building
- Some routes suitable for limited mobility users
- Some routes suitable for wheelchair users
- Steps within building
- Access into the Building
- Assisted wheelchair access
- Automatic doors
- Steps with handrails to entrance
- Temporary ramps available
- Accessible Communication Facilities
- Audible alarm system
- Clear signage (colour contrast, large letters or pictograms)
- Hearing loop system
- Accessible Parking Facilities
- Blue badge parking available
- Accessible Venue Facilities
- Assistance dogs welcome
- Emergency evacuation procedures for guests with disabilities
- Level access, ramp or lift to dining area
- Level access, ramp or lift to restaurant or cafe
- Level access, ramp or lift to the bar
- Level access, ramp or lift to the lounge
- Level access, ramp or lift to the shop
- Special dietary requirements catered for
- Staff available to assist
- Staff available twenty four hours
- Staff disability awareness trained
- Additional Accessible Facilities
- Accessible baby changing rooms
- Level access, ramp or lift from entrance to reception
- Level access, ramp or lift to information point
- Level access, ramp or lift to ticket issuing point
- Low payment counters
- Low reception or information counters
- Portable chip and pin machines
- Attraction Facilities
- Gift shop
- Public toilets
- Booking Facilities
- Group bookings accepted
- Catering Facilities
- Event catering
- Halal options on menu
- Kosher options on menu
- Nut-free option on menu
- Outdoor dining / Beer garden
- Private Dining
- Vegetarian options on menu
- Event Facilities
- Available for wedding receptions
- Breakout Rooms
- Civil Partnership licence held
- Conference rooms / Meeting rooms
- In house AV available
- Licenced for civil marriages
- Raked or tiered seating offered
- Trade vehicle access
- Venue allows outside catering
- Venue can display vehicles inside
- Wedding service
- General Facilities
- Payment Facilities
- Free entry