From fantastic museum collections and stunning galleries of art to gorgeous parks and gardens, London has fantastic free attractions to discover.
Best free museums in London
- Discover ancient relics from Egyptian mummies to an Aztec serpent sculpture at the British Museum.
- Admire fashion, jewellery and furniture from around the world at the Victoria and Albert Museum.
- Meet weird, wonderful and extinct creatures at the Natural History Museum and Grant Museum of Zoology.
- Take a selfie on the iconic Tulip Stairs and see portraits of past monarchs at Queen's House.
- Travel back to Roman times at the London Mithraeum and see Roman artefacts from written documents to ceramics and textiles.
- Experience wartime Britain and experience the lives of the ordinary people that fought in the war at the Imperial War Museum.
- Delve into Britain’s naval history and spot famous portraits at the National Maritime Museum.
Best free art galleries
- Admire world-class contemporary paintings, photographs and performance art at Tate Modern.
- Explore the Royal Academy of Arts' free collections of artworks, sculptures and statues.
- Discover more than 2,000 paintings from the Middle Ages to the 20th century at the National Gallery.
- Journey through the history of British art from 1500 to the present day at Tate Britain.
- Enjoy Old Master paintings, decorative arts, armouries and a pretty courtyard at the Wallace Collection.
- Check out cutting-edge contemporary art by emerging and renowned artists at the Whitechapel Gallery.
Best free parks and gardens
- Take a leisurely stroll or have a dip in the Serpentine during the warmer months at Hyde Park.
- Spot ancient trees, spring flower blooms and herds of free-roaming deer at Richmond Park.
- See breathtaking views of the river Thames and Canary Wharf from Greenwich Park.
- Find an oasis of calm with a beautiful tiered waterfall in the Kyoto Garden in Holland Park.
- Explore the stark ruins of a church in the poignant St Dunstan in the East gardens.
Best free sights in London
- Watch the spectacular Changing the Guard ceremony outside Buckingham Palace.
- Follow in the wizarding footsteps of Harry Potter at filming locations like Leadenhall Market and Platform 9¾ at King's Cross station.
- See the famous fountains and stone lions in Trafalgar Square, the host of many popular London events, including the Chinese New Year parade.
- Walk in the footsteps of The Beatles by crossing the famous Abbey Road zebra crossing.
- Stroll along the charming canals of Little Venice to watch rows of boats journey along the water.
- Spot rare plants and insects in Epping Forest, a Special Area of Conservation and the home of more that 55,000 ancient trees.
- Soak up the floral colours and aromas first thing on a Sunday at Columbia Road Flower Market.
Find more free things to do in London, including free events, festivals and cultural activities. Explore "free things to do near me" on the Visit London app, which is packed full of things to do on the go.