Mark the Year of the Dog with a spectacular line-up of Chinese New Year events in London.
From specially designed Chinese New Year menus to Chinese-inspired family activities, there are plenty of exciting things to do in London over the Lunar New Year.
Chinese New Year London events
- Experience Chinese New Year in London celebrations with a colourful parade, food stalls, fun activities and vibrant performances across Chinatown and the West End. 18 Feb
- See the Coca-Cola London Eye lit up in red and gold on Chinese New Year to honour the Year of the Dog. 16 Feb
- Join a series of events celebrating the Lunar New Year at China Exchange. Learn about the history of Chinese clothing with the Hantastic! Chinese Traditional Dress Experience (25 Feb). Pick up goodies from the tea market (23-25 Feb), join a herbal tea-making workshop (24 Feb), or see Team China vs. Team GB in the Battle of Tea Time (24 Feb). Plus, enjoy a traditional Chinese New Year concert from the Xiaoshuijing Farmer’s Choir (25 Feb).
- Listen to inspiring Chinese music with The 21st Grand Chinese New Year Concert from the Shanghai Chinese Orchestra, conducted by Grammy Award-winning Muhai Tang, at Barbican Hall. 7 Feb
- Browse the stalls for an array of Chinese delicacies as Duke of York Square hosts a Chinese Food Market, complete with traditional performances and a Lantern Quiz. 17 Feb
- Mark the Year of the Dog with the annual Philharmonia Orchestra: Chinese New Year Celebration Concert at the Royal Festival Hall, featuring a choir from a village in China’s Yunnan province. 1 Mar
London Chinese New Year food and drink
- Sip on a range of tipples based on the 12 Chinese New Year animal signs with Opium’s zodiac-themed cocktails.
- Enjoy a three-course lunch menu by MasterChef champion Ping Coombes, and receive a lucky red envelope at Chi Kitchen. 18 Feb
- Dine on cuisine designed to bring good luck, underneath colourful Chinese lanterns, at Michelin-starred Yauatcha during Chinese New Year in London. From 5 Feb
- Taste a range of limited-edition dishes, before writing your CNY wishes on red ribbons, at Michelin-starred Hakassan in Mayfair or Hanway Place. 29 Jan-4 Mar
- Learn new techniques to create your own flavoursome treats with the Cookery School’s dim sum workshop. 16-17 Feb
- Tuck into a Taiwanese feast featuring Cornish scallops, mushroom dumplings and char siu Iberico pork at XU. 16-17 Feb
- Try the Yu Sheng, a traditional dish served during New Year’s celebrations in Singapore and Malaysia, at Rasa Sayang in Chinatown.
- Indulge in Bubblewrap's decadent bubble waffles, featuring special Chinese New Year flavours, such as black sesame gelato and strawberry mochi.
- Taste quirky chips and dips specially prepared to mark Chinese New Year at HIPCHIPS, from plum, ginger and spring onion, to an unusual lychee-pudding option.
- Open up your very own lucky red packet to be in with the chance of picking up special deals across Chinatown.
- Find some of the best places to eat in Chinatown or London’s top Chinese restaurants.
Family activities for Chinese New Year in London
- Let the little ones practice ribbon twirling, calligraphy, taekwondo and lion dancing at the Museum of London Docklands. 16 Feb
- Drop by the British Library for Chinese ribbon dances and story-telling sessions with Jih Wen Yeh. 13 Feb
- Take the kids to an animal-themed craft session with Zodiac Zoo at Cutty Sark. 3-4 Feb
- Celebrate the Year of the Dog with a range of canine-themed activities the National Gallery. 17 Feb
- Find fun-filled activities at the V&A Museum of Childhood, from Chinese mask-making sessions and calligraphy to live entertainment. 10 Feb
- Celebrate Chinese New Year in London with half-term activities at the British Museum. 12-16 Feb
- Celebrate Chinese New Year with the family this February half-term as Exchange Ilford hosts China-inspired workshops and activities for children. 12-16 Feb
Discover more things to do during Chinese New Year in London.