The Household Cavalry Museum at Horse Guards (official entrance to the Royal Residences) celebrates the history, heroes and exploits of the British Army’s senior regiment, from its origins in 1661 to the present day.
What is there to see at the museum?
Study rare exhibits and dazzling displays of uniforms, helmets and cuirasses, before seeing troopers preparing their horses in the stables. This London hidden gem presents a uniquely British blend of pageantry, tradition and history.
Morning visits are a perfect opportunity to see the The Changing of the Queen’s Life Guard, which happens daily on Horse Guards Parade at 11am (10am on Sundays).
Keep an eye out for The Daily Inspection, which takes place at 4pm on Front Yard Whitehall.
Where is The Household Cavalry Museum?
The Household Cavalry Museum is located at Horse Guards off Whitehall, between Parliament Square and Trafalgar Square, in Westminster.
How can I get there?
The nearest underground stations are Charing Cross (Bakerloo and Northern line), Embankment (Bakerloo, Northern, District and Circle lines), and Westminster (Jubilee, Circle and District line). Various bus routes also stop at Whitehall.
How long is the visit?
It is recommended to allow 45 minutes to see the entire museum.
How much are the tickets?
Tickets cost £9.50 for adults, and £7.50 for children.
How can I book tickets?
Pre-book tickets to the museum on its website.
Prices and opening times
|Child Ticket||£6.50 per ticket|
|Adult Ticket||£9.50 per ticket|
10% discount for groups of 8 or more.
10am-6pm between April and October, and 10am-5pm November to March.
Closed on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and Good Friday.
Venue Details & Map
The Household Cavalry Museum
- +44 (0)20 7930 3070
- Public transport:
- Exit Embankment Station, turn left and go through the tunnel. Cross Northumberland Avenue into Whitehall Place, go to the end and turn left into Whitehall - 150m Horse Guards is opposite.
Facilities & Accessibility
- Access Inside Building Facilities
- All routes suitable for limited mobility users
- All routes suitable for pushchairs or prams
- All routes suitable for wheelchair users
- Access into the Building
- Automatic doors
- Flat routes from parking area to entrance
- Full, non-assisted wheelchair access
- Accessible Bathroom Facilities
- Designated wheelchair accessible public toilet
- Accessible Venue Facilities
- Assistance dogs welcome
- Additional Accessible Facilities
- Accessible baby changing rooms
- Attraction Facilities
- Gift shop
- Patron toilets
- Booking Facilities
- Coach parties accepted
- Group bookings accepted
- Event Facilities
- Event facilities
- Payment Facilities
- Group rates available