The Lyric Hammersmith aims to produce work that is provoking, entertaining, popular, eclectic, messy, contradictory and diverse.
The Lyric Theatre was built in 1895 by the English theatrical architect Frank Matcham. In 1966, the theatre was closed, dismantled and re-built piece by piece on its current site close to the original location. The new theatre reopened in 1979.
It has two main performance areas: the Main House, a 550-seat 19th-century auditorium maintaining the original design which hosts its main productions; and the 120-seat Studio, which houses smaller productions by up-and-coming companies. The Lyric also presents frequent Lyric Children and Lyric Music performances as well as Sunday Night Comedy.