Treat your mum to her favourite activity in London on Mother’s Day, or get her to try something completely new.
In the UK, Mother's Day is celebrated three weeks before Easter Sunday, which means that it falls on 11 March in 2018.
Browse our Mother’s Day ideas below to find top things to do with your mum on Mother’s Day 2018 in London. Choose from afternoon teas to walks in the park, shopping to bowling, cooking classes to speedboat rides, and pick up the perfect Mother’s Day gift in London.
Mother's Day dining and foodie treats in London
- Book Mother’s Day lunch or dinner in advance, as it’s a popular date for dining out. Plenty of London restaurants offer Mother’s Day menus, such as American restaurant Smith & Wollensky, classy The Montague, and dim sum restaurant Park Chinois. 11 Mar
- Tuck into a delicious afternoon tea in London, including: The Keeper's House’s afternoon tea at the Royal Academy of Arts, featuring a complimentary cocktail; The Arch London’s Mother's Day afternoon tea, served with a free gift for mum; or I Love You Bunches at The Connaught, combining a sumptuous afternoon tea with a floral masterclass.
- Alternatively, try a quirky Mother’s Day afternoon tea, such as W London’s Tea Total, which pairs each cake with a crystallised version of a signature cocktail; a delicious High Chai afternoon tea at Cinnamon Soho; or A Midsummer Night’s Dream afternoon tea, inspired by the Bard’s famous play, at Swan, Shakespeare’s Globe. You can even make your own afternoon tea during a fun cooking class at Cookery School.
- Celebrate Mother’s Day with an unusual brunch in London. Try Chi Kitchen’s Mama’s Dearest Brunch Club from MasterChef champion Ping Coombes; indulge in The Montagu’s Mothering Pommery Rose Champagne brunch, featuring live music and charming views of Portman Square Garden; or treat yourself to Searcys at The Gherkin’s four-course brunch with a view.
- Enjoy a complimentary glass of prosecco for all mums when dining at May Fair Kitchen, Monmouth Kitchen, Leicester Square Kitchen, Steak & Lobster and Scoff & Banter. 11 Mar
- Enjoy lunch with a view at Sky Garden or on a river cruise.
- Splash out for dinner at one of London’s Michelin-starred restaurants.
- Buy mum some gorgeous cupcakes or dessert on Mothering Sunday.
- Spend quality time with mum while tucking into lunch, dinner or afternoon tea with City Cruises on Mother’s Day. 11 Mar
- Bring the whole family together around a delicious Sunday roast in London.
- Sip on cocktails or champagne at a top London bar.
London day out ideas for Mother’s Day
- Treat your mum to a panoramic trip on the Thames as MBNA Thames Clippers offers a free River Roamer ticket and complimentary glass of wine to all mothers. 11 Mar
- See the stunning Queen’s House during a day out in Greenwich.
- Explore the Victoria and Albert Museum’s exquisite collection of art and design.
- Head to the Museum of Brands to learn about the role of mothers in the media across the ages. 11 Mar
- Book tickets to a top art or museum exhibition.
- Wander through stunning exotic flower displays with the Orchids Festival at Kew Gardens. Until 11 Mar
- Look down on the city’s famous landmarks from a sky-high attraction.
- Take a ride on the Coca-Cola London Eye with your mum, and enjoy a champagne experience while taking in the spectacular views of London’s most famous landmarks.
- Celebrate one of the world’s most famous pop groups with ABBA: Super Troupers at Southbank Centre. Until 29 Apr
- Visit Kenwood House and enjoy the views from Hampstead Heath, before stopping for a drink in a cute cafe in Hampstead.
- See the first spring blossoms in a beautiful garden, or discover one of London’s most peaceful and picturesque spots.
- Honour the centenary of the women's right to vote with female-focused exhibitions, events and activities. Ongoing
- Share the magic of a top London musical with your mum, from Mamma Mia! and Dreamgirls, to The Phantom of the Opera (not all productions have Sunday shows, so check timings in advance).
London activities for active mums
- Take a thrilling speedboat ride on the Thames.
- Challenge your competitive mum to a game of bowling at the all-American All Star Lanes and enjoy a complimentary Mother’s Day cocktail.
- Conquer the rapids with mum at Lee Valley White Water Centre, or take on the track at Lee Valley VeloPark with special taster gift vouchers. For a more relaxing experience, visit the Lee Valley Riding Centre to learn the basics of horse riding.
- Book a private dance lesson, or drop in to one of the daily classes at Pineapple Dance Studios.
- See the city from above with an unforgettable helicopter tour of London.
Mother's Day shopping and pampering in London
- Take mum for a day of shopping, dining and entertainment in stylish Covent Garden.
- Browse the boutiques of colourful Notting Hill and its famous Portobello Market.
- Buy your mum a beautiful bunch of flowers on a visit to Columbia Road Flower Market, or discover another one of London's Sunday markets.
- Treat her to a relaxing spa in London.
- Book a Mother’s Day stay at a five-star London hotel.
Shopping for Mother’s Day gifts in London
Opt for the classic Mothering Sunday gift at a London florist, chocolatier or cake shop. Find unique and handmade gifts at one of London’s quirky and specialist markets. Or search for big brands in London’s top department stores.
For more ideas on what to do in London this Mother's Day, take a look at our calendar of events and guide to what’s on in London for events taking place on Mother's Day weekend and during the whole of March.