Summer’s preparing its warming hug, so put on your shades, grab your friends or family and plan ahead for the spring bank holiday weekend in London.
As London gears up for the summer months, you can enjoy plenty of outdoor fun, including alfresco dining, open-air cinema and theatre, or Insta-worthy parks and gardens. See what else is happening over the bank holiday weekend a little nearer the time.
Tick off top London attractions
- Cause FOMO back home as you visit London’s top attractions: Make memories this spring bank holiday at the iconic attractions that you've always wanted to visit.
- Pick up the money-saving Merlin London Attractions Pass: See multiple attractions including the London Eye, SEA LIFE London Aquarium and Madame Tussauds London.
- Enjoy the perfect day out with The Total London Experience: Visit London's most famous landmarks before ending the day with a scenic boat ride down the Thames.
- Take in stunning views of the capital aboard the IFS Cloud Cable Car: Admire London's skyline as you travel between Greenwich Peninsula and the Royal Docks.
- Or have an unforgettable adventure Up at the O2: See a different side of the city as you climb the famous roof of the iconic entertainment venue.
- Board a sightseeing bus: Get a taste of London this spring bank holiday as you hop on and off at your favourite city landmarks.
- Or do the same along the Thames with City Cruises: From sightseeing trips to fun dining experiences, you can discover London from the perfect vantage point.
- Alternatively, see the sights whizz by on a speedboat tour: Enjoy an exhilarating high-speed ride down the river Thames.
- See the city lights on a London by Night tour: Make the most of the warmer evenings as you discover the beauty and vibrancy of the city after hours.
Enjoy favourite family activities in London
- Celebrate the May half-term by visiting London’s top family attractions: From the historic Tower of London to the fascinating London Transport Museum.
- Book well ahead to see wizarding wonders at Warner Bros. Studio Tour London – The Making of Harry Potter: Don't miss this must-see magical attraction.
- Discover more of Harry Potter's London: From seeking out film locations on an immersive walking tour to shopping for souvenirs at The Harry Potter Shop at Platform 9¾.
- See all your favourite animals at London Zoo: From lions and tigers to giraffes, penguins and more.
- Climb aboard the Cutty Sark for a Rig Climbing Experience: Learn about life on the famous ship and climb the rigging if you're brave enough.
- Have a thrilling time at some of the UK's top theme parks: Let loose at Legoland or turn your world upside down at Thorpe Park.
- Enjoy all sorts of days out in London with our handy itineraries: Find shopping hotspots, foodie treats, family ideas and more.
- Visit London's top museums: From modern art to ancient history, there's one to suit every interest.
Top experiences this Spring bank holiday in London
- Take a guided tour of the British Museum: See the impressive collection with someone who knows it like the back of their hand.
- Play detective at Sherlock: The Official Outdoor Game: Solve clues and puzzles in this challenging adventure that combines an immersive experience with an escape game.
- Explore iconic sports venues: Take a fascinating behind-the-scenes tour of the Arsenal Emirates Stadium.
- Indulge with a foodie tour of the city: Savour classic dishes at London's Borough Market, or enjoy Asian cuisine on a Brick Lane Food Tour.
- Take a day trip to iconic UK destinations: Explore the beautiful city of Bath, uncover secrets of the Vikings in York and discover the best of Oxford.
- Or opt for a special weekend away in Paris: Cruise along the Seine, stroll through the beautiful French gardens and enjoy a three-course dinner on the Eiffel Tower.
Catch a film or a theatre show
- Take your pick from London's top musicals: For a night out at the theatre or a matinee performance.
- Discover the best shows for kids: Find family-friendly favourites from plays to child-friendly musicals.
- Or chose a hilarious comedy musical: Laugh out loud at The Book of Mormon London and The Play That Goes Wrong.
- Be enchanted by Wicked the musical at the Apollo Victoria: Experience a magical musical that will leave you spellbound.
- Laugh the night away at Sister Act The Musical at the Dominion Theatre: See the world's most entertaining choir of nuns.
- Sing along to smash hits from pop sensations ABBA at ABBA Voyage: See the iconic band brought to life.
- If the big screen is more your thing, head to an outdoor cinema: Get your fix of cult and classic films under the stars.
- Enjoy outdoor entertainment in London: From outdoor shows and artworks to film-themed tours.
Explore the great outdoors
- Visit west London's Kew Gardens: An abundance of breathtaking plants, trees and flowers awaits.
- See some of the Royal Parks' smallest inhabitants: Embark on walking trail and see an array of wildlife enroute.
- Mingle with birds and bees in London’s gorgeous gardens: Discover hidden gardens such as St Dunstan in the East and Brown Hart Gardens which offer the chance to relax in the city centre.
- Explore the city’s varied parks: Time your visit for pelican feeding time in St James’s Park or smell the pretty roses in Hyde Park’s rose garden.
- Go for a walk in one of the many beautiful London areas outside the city centre: Check out historic attractions in Greenwich, laze by the duck pond in Barnes, marvel at Wimbledon’s windmill or wander along the canals in Little Venice.
- Take a dip in a swimming pool: From natural pools in Hampstead Heath to Instagrammable art deco lidos.
- Hire a Santander Cycle (just £1.65 per day) and explore London on two wheels: Cut through parks and along backstreets, or cycle along the Thames path for river views.
- Be dazzled by the Illuminated River: Come nightfall, admire light display at some of London’s most iconic bridges.
- Enjoy outdoor activities in London: From outdoor exercise spots to vibrant outdoor markets.
Seek out alfresco dining in London
- Grab an outside table and soak up the sun for some alfresco dining: Top hangouts include Kingly Court, St Christopher’s Place and Covent Garden.
- Sit back, sip on a cocktail or two at London’s rooftop bars: Many have had their summer makeover by the bank holiday weekend.
- Relax and unwind at one of the capital’s top picnic spots: Get those scotch eggs at the ready and dust off your rug for the first picnic of the year.
- Live the high life as you drink and dine in the clouds at London in the Sky: Take outdoor dining to a whole new level.
- Drink a refreshing pint at London's many beer gardens: Get together with pals for some beverages and socialising in the sun.
Pick up summer-ready items
- Head to Bicester Village to pick up big brand items: Shop til' you drop at this luxury outlet hotspot.
- Discover London’s top shopping hotspots: Find late-spring deals or stock up on new-season threads.
- Explore one of the weekly markets in London: Peruse stalls which sell everything from antiques and crafts, to music, designer clothes and vintage garments.
- Buy that someone special a bouquet from Columbia Road flower market: Choose the perfect floral present from bucketful's of beautiful flowers.
- Browse London's department stores: Shop for quality fashion, homeware and more under one roof.
Shop till you drop with more London shopping ideas.
Practical info for bank holiday Monday in London
Most attractions, shops and restaurants are open as usual during the bank holiday weekend, or open with amended times. Please check with the individual venue before visiting.
More bank holiday inspiration
For more bank holiday weekend ideas, find our top tips on things to do on a Saturday and Sunday in London. If you’re staying for longer, make sure to see what else is on during spring and summer, including key events in May and June.