Explore one of the greatest collections of paintings in the world at the National Gallery, which houses artworks from famous artists such as Van Gogh, Titian, Rembrandt and Turner.
Founded in 1824, the iconic gallery is free to enter and welcomes more than two million visitors each year who are treated to a wide-range of works dating from the mid-13th century to 1900.
What is there to see?
Discover many artistic treasures, see some of the world’s most iconic paintings and delve into exciting collections and displays at the National Gallery.
From the dazzling colours of early Medieval paintings and Renaissance gems to vibrant impressionist works, you’ll uncover the story of European art, masterpiece by masterpiece. See the Sunflowers by Vincent Van Gogh, The Hay Wain by John Constable and Self Portrait as Saint Catherine of Alexandria by Artemisia Gentileschi. Discover something new in the nation’s collection of more than 2,000 paintings.
Book an official National Gallery highlights tour to be guided around a selection of iconic artworks by a gallery-approved Blue Badge Guide.
Complete the gallery experience with a visit to Portico Shop and Getty Shop, where you can browse gifts, books and souvenirs.
What’s on at the National Gallery?
Enjoy regular exhibitions at the National Gallery, ranging from major blockbusters to free contemporary and modern shows. Take part in events each month, ranging from talks and conversations to creative sessions, music and performances.
Join 60-minute taster tours of the collections from 3pm to 4pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Collections and exhibitions can be enjoyed until 9pm every Friday, as part of its weekly late opening.
Check the National Gallery’s website to browse exhibitions and online events for 2023.
Is the gallery free to enter?
The National Gallery is free to visit and includes access to its permanent galleries. Special exhibitions require an additional fee. Walk-in tickets are available each day, but entry is not guaranteed.
How can I book tickets?
The National Gallery is free to visit and tickets do not need to be booked in advance.
How long does it take to explore?
With so much to see at the National Gallery, you could visit for the entire day. But it is recommended to spend at least three hours exploring the different galleries.
Can I eat and drink here?
There are three different eateries at the National Gallery to enjoy a bite to eat and a refreshing drink.
Ochre cocktail bar and restaurant is open for lunch and dinner every day, and you can enjoy traditional afternoon tea, Sunday roasts and special menus. Self-serve cafe Muriel’s Kitchen specialises in European and British dishes, including seasonal salads, quiches and a range of bakery delights. For something a little lighter, Espresso Bar by Muriel’s is the perfect pit-stop for coffee and cake.
Where is the National Gallery?
The National Gallery is located at Trafalgar Square, in the City of Westminster in central London.
How to get there
The closest Tube station to the National Gallery is Charing Cross (Bakerloo and Northern lines). Embankment (Bakerloo, Circle, District and Northern lines) and Leicester Square (Northern and Piccadilly lines) are both within 10 minutes’ walk.
Various bus routes stop close to the gallery, including 12, 24, 88 and 453.
The closest Santander Cycles docking stations are on St Martin's Street, Craven Street, Pall Mall East, William IV Street, Charles II Street and Oxendon Street.
What are the opening times?
The National Gallery is open daily, from 10am to 6pm on Saturdays to Thursdays, and 10am to 9pm on Fridays.
This content has been supplied by National Gallery
Prices and opening times
Entrance for gallery is free, charges for events/special exhibitions.
This content has been supplied by National Gallery
Daily 10am to 6pm, and Friday 10am to 9pm Closing commences five minutes before time stated. Free admission to the collection and some special exhibitions. Charges apply for major loan exhibitions.
Facilities & Accessibility
- Access Inside Building Facilities
- Accessible lift
- All routes suitable for pushchairs or prams
- Lift with spoken announcements on arrival at each floor
- Some routes suitable for limited mobility users
- Some routes suitable for wheelchair users
- Wheelchair spaces available in auditorium
- Access into the Building
- Automatic doors
- Flat routes from parking area to entrance
- Full, non-assisted wheelchair access
- Ramps from parking area to entrance
- Steps with handrails to entrance
- Accessible Communication Facilities
- Audible alarm system
- Clear signage (colour contrast, large letters or pictograms)
- Hearing loop system
- Information available in audio format
- Information available in large print
- Accessible Parking Facilities
- Designated disabled parking available within fifty metres of main entrance
- Drop-off point for guests available outside main entrance
- Accessible Venue Facilities
- Emergency evacuation procedures for guests with disabilities
- Level access, ramp or lift to dining area
- Level access, ramp or lift to restaurant or cafe
- Level access, ramp or lift to the bar
- Level access, ramp or lift to the shop
- Special dietary requirements catered for
- Staff available to assist
- Staff disability awareness trained
- Wheelchairs available free of charge
- Additional Accessible Facilities
- Accessible baby changing rooms
- Accessible changing rooms
- Level access, ramp or lift from entrance to reception
- Level access, ramp or lift to information point
- Signed British Sign Language (BSL) performances
- Attraction Facilities
- Gift shop
- Public toilets
- Tours available in Chinese
- Tours available in French
- Tours available in German
- Tours available in Italian
- Tours available in Spanish
- Booking Facilities
- Coach parties accepted
- Group bookings accepted
- Catering Facilities
- Event catering
- Food shop
- Nut-free option on menu
- Private Dining
- Set price menu
- Vegetarian options on menu
- Event Facilities
- Available for wedding receptions
- Breakout Rooms
- Business centre
- Conference rooms / Meeting rooms
- In house AV available
- Offers charity rates
- Raked or tiered seating offered
- Venue allows outside catering
- General Facilities
- Free WiFi
- Luggage storage
- Staff LGBT trained
- Payment Facilities
- Free entry