See a scarier side to London this Halloween, with our guide to the spookiest things to do in the capital on and around 31 October.
From haunted venues and bone-chilling attractions, to special Halloween tours and gripping family events, plan your Halloween in London with our roundup of gory ideas and horrifying activities.
Halloween events in London
- Explore museums and galleries after dark with Museums at Night's Halloween-themed activities, including 19th-century mummy-unwrapping parties, candlelit fortune-telling and investigations into skeleton remains. 26-28 Oct
- Join a very mortal talk, tour or workshop, including visits to London's most famous cemeteries, during the London Month of the Dead. 1-29 Oct
- Travel back to 17th-century England, a time of witch-hunts, fear and superstition under the rule of King James I, for a haunting Dusk 'til Dawn sleepover at Hampton Court Palace. 28 Oct
- Dare to enter one of the Fright Nights live action scare mazes at Thorpe Park, from a carnival risen from the dead, to a terrifying game of Saw Alive and The Walking Dead living nightmare. 29 Sep-31 Oct
- Solve a murder mystery with the help of forensic experts with Crime Scene Live at the Natural History Museum. 30 Oct
- Surrender to the dark arts as the Tower of London hosts a theatrical Art Macabre evening of life drawing this Halloween. 30 Oct
Scary London tours
- Discover the dark secrets and gory history of London with The Ghost Bus Tours or a Tales of Plague guided walk.
- Retrace the infamous murderer’s footsteps with Jack the Ripper Ghost Walks and see his story come to life with The Jack the Ripper Tour with Ripper-Vision.
- Visit the Tower of London’s spookiest corners after dark on a Tower Twilight Tour. From 5 Nov
- Go on an unnerving ghost hunt in London with Haunted Happenings.
London Halloween shows
- Watch one of the most famous horror stories unfold live on stage as The Exorcist comes to London's Pheonix Theatre. From 20 Oct
- Witness a vampire ritual in the intoxicating immersive theatre production of Hammer House of Horror Live. 3-31 Oct
- One of the West End’s longest-running plays, The Woman in Black will have you on the edge of your seat.
- Hear sinister tales of peculiar children through storytelling, puppetry and music with The Terrible Infants. 27 Sep-28 Oct
- Catch a West End musical featuring monsters, witches and mysterious characters this Halloween, from Young Frankenstein to The Phantom of the Opera and Wicked.
Frightening London attractions
- Join in the special Halloween events at The London Dungeon, where London’s horrible history and terrifying characters come vividly to life.
- Run for your life through the Covenant spaceship in Madame Tussaud's new Alien: Escape experience.
- Go on a mind-derailing journey through fear with Derren Brown’s Ghost Train at Thorpe Park.
- Discover the unnerving history of 19th-century surgery at the Old Operating Theatre.
- Get up close to some of the world’s most feared animals in London this Halloween, with In with the Spiders at ZSL London Zoo or Snorkelling with Sharks at SEA LIFE London aquarium.
Horrible October half-term family fun
- Delve into the menacing world of the Dark Arts as the Harry Potter sets get a Halloween makeover at Warner Bros. Studio Tour London. 1 Oct-12 Nov
- Learn about the most gruesome jobs at court with Horrible Hampton at Hampton Court Palace. 21-29 Oct
- Enjoy a night of torchlit tours and scary surprises followed by a sleepover at the Museum of London. 27 Oct
- Get dressed in your best Halloween outfit for spooky crafts, costume competitions and pumpkin carving at Eltham Palace. 23-27 Oct
- Look out for more Halloween family events, as many London attractions put on special activities for children during the October school half-term.
Halloween parties and nights out in London
- Enter the immersive underground world of The Vaults for a Halloween Raveyard featuring zombie dance halls, cabaret acts, and DJs. 27-28 Oct
- Learn some spooky moves at Drink, Shop & Do with a Thriller or Time Warp dance class. 30 Oct
- Climb to hair-raising heights for the Halloween in the Sky party at Sky Garden. 27 Oct
- Mingle with ghosts and witches at one of many Halloween London parties or club nights, including The Roof Gardens' Spooktacular. 27-28 Oct
- Sip on a wicked cocktail deep inside the foundations of an ancient church at the Pix Confessional Cocktail Club.
- Pick up a spooky costume for your Halloween night out at one of London’s fancy dress shops.
Haunted London spots
- Grab a pint in one of London’s many old haunted pubs, including The Grenadier, The Spaniards Inn and The Viaduct Tavern.
- Hear the screaming ghost of Catherine Howard in Hampton Court Palace’s Haunted Gallery.
- Visit one of London’s beautiful and eerie cemeteries.
- Catch a show at Theatre Royal Drury Lane, London’s most haunted theatre.