UK visas: visiting London after Brexit

Make sure your arrival in London goes smoothly with this guide to UK visa regulations.
The view of Tower Bridge from a plane while flying into London.
Flying into London. Image courtesy of Royalty Free Stock Images.
  • Some people may need a visa to visit, work or study in London.
  • Visa-free travel to the UK is still in place for EU, EEA and Swiss nationals.
  • Most travellers can only enter the country as a visitor for a limited period.
  • Information on travelling to London after Brexit can be found on the official UK government website.

Find all the details you need about UK visas, including how to apply and what's required to visit London.

Please be aware that the rules change regularly and it is your responsibility to ensure you have the latest information. 

How will Brexit affect my travel plans? 

The UK left the European Union in 2020. Find out everything you need to know about the impact that Brexit may have on your trip to London:

For more information and advice for travellers, visit the official UK government website.

Do I need a visa to go to London?

You may require a visa to visit the UK. To find out whether you need a visa to visit London and how to apply, see the UK Visas and Immigration website or check with your local British Embassy or other diplomatic representative before you travel.

The UK government is rolling out an Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) scheme, set to be implemented by the end of 2024. Citizens of countries that do not require a visa for short-term visits will have to apply for an ETA before visiting the UK. The cost is £10 per applicant.

The rules change regularly, so make sure to check you have the most up-to-date information for your trip.

Entry to the UK as a visitor is granted only for a limited period. If you plan to stay in London for longer, check the UK Visas and Immigration website for visa regulations and further details. 

Do I need a visa to visit London from the European Union?

Following the UK's decision to leave the European Union, visa-free leisure travel to and from the UK is still in place for EU, EEA and Swiss citizens.

To enter the UK, you must show the correct documents at the UK border.

Visiting the UK 

EU, EEA or Swiss citizens:

  • Irish citizens can still enter and live in the UK as they currently do.
  • EU, EEA and Swiss citizens can still travel to the UK for holidays or short trips without a visa – you can enter the UK with a valid passport.
  • You cannot use your EU, EEA or Swiss national ID card to enter the UK.
  • You can continue to use your national ID card to enter the UK until at least 31 December 2025 if you have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme and/or meet a few other criteria.

Non-EEA family members of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen:

  • You need a valid passport as well as an EU Settlement Scheme family permit, a UK-issued EEA family permit or a UK-issued biometric residence card.

Visit the UK Visas and Immigration website for the latest details. 

Do I need a visa to study in London?

You may need a visa to study in London. Find more details on student visas on the UK Visas and Immigration website.