Many attractions and venues in London must close their doors while the city is subject to national lockdown restrictions – check back soon for the latest information about reopenings and rescheduled events.
Remember to follow the latest government guidelines by staying at home and acting responsibly when out and about for exercise or essential journeys.
London looks forward to welcoming you back soon!
Best things to do outdoors
- See the city from two wheels and discover London’s cycle routes. Plus, take a look at these tips on how to cycle in London.
- Or choose to stretch your legs and explore the capital by foot with London’s best walking routes.
- Wrap up warm, pack a basket full of tasty treats and eat alfresco in one of the loveliest picnic spots.
- Get your blood pumping and seek out these outdoor spots for exercising.
- Take a dip in one of London’s heated outdoor swimming pools or lidos.
- Surround yourself with nature and boost your wellbeing in London's Royal Parks.
- Walk an art trail between Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park and The O2 with The Line.
Find more fun things to do outdoors in London.
Places to go shopping in London
- Make your home a little happier and find your favourite flowers at Chiswick Flower Market. Every first Sunday of the month from 7 Feb
- Explore the famously quirky Camden Market with stalls selling everything from fashion to food.
- Wander the high streets of Hoxton and Shoreditch, and pop over to Columbia Road Flower Market while in the area on Sundays.
- Head to the West End and shop on some of the area’s most popular shopping streets, including Regent Street, Bond Street, Carnaby and Oxford Street.
- Arrive hungry at Borough Market to pick up gourmet treats, from fine cheeses to fresh seafood.
- Delve into the delights of the historic Greenwich Market and pick up trinkets from British designer-makers.
- Pick up new threads at bargain prices from the Icon Outlet at The O2.
- Plan a trip to some of the best markets and shopping destinations in London.
Tips for safe shopping in London
When visiting shops and markets in London, you can expect to find special safety measures including socially distanced queuing, hand sanitiser stations, one-way systems and a limit on in-store capacity.
It is mandatory to wear a face covering in public indoor settings, including shops and supermarkets.
Tasty food and drink in London
- Indulge in a sky-high bottomless brunch 40th floors above the City of London at Duck and Waffle.
- Sit outside to enjoy a meal at one of London's best alfresco restaurants.
- Dine in an Instagram-worthy igloo with views over Tower Bridge at riverside hotspot, Coppa Club.
- Sample a delicious menu of Bombay-inspired dishes at the newly revamped Dishoom in Covent Garden.
- Sit outside among the heaters in the cosy seating area at Milk Beach and try some Australian fare for brunch, lunch or dinner.
- Snap Chinatown decked out in hundreds of rainbow-coloured lanterns, before tucking into a meal at a restaurant in this popular pocket of London.
- Take in stunning views of the city at Sky Pod Bar in the Sky Garden, which sits at the top of The Walkie Talkie building.
- Hop in The Standard, London's iconic red pill lift for Decimo, where a Mexican and Spanish feast of flavours by Michelin-starred chef Peter Sanchez-Iglesias awaits.
- Get your street food fix from one of London's best markets.
- Explore the emporium of goods while you stop to refuel at Petersham Nurseries' Richmond and Covent Garden venues.
- Escape to Neverland London for fondue, feasts and cool cocktails in an alpine forest setting.
- All aboard the Brigit's Bakery classic afternoon tea bus tour! Enjoy a cuppa and a selection of treats while taking in the sights of London from a Routemaster bus.
- Experience incredible London views on the Skylight rooftop at Tobacco Dock.
- Treat your sweet tooth to the luxurious Charbonnel et Walker afternoon tea at the May Fair Kitchen.
- Get cosy at one of London’s best rooftop bars.
- Support neighbourhood businesses with a visit to one of your local restaurants.
All restaurants, pubs, bars and cafes in London must close their doors due to national lockdown restrictions. However, many businesses are running delivery, click-and-collect and takeaway services during lockdown, so you can continue to support your favourite spots and discover new places on your doorstep.
- Explore fascinating collections spanning more than two million years of history at the British Museum.
- Discover the stories of those who have lived through conflict at the Imperial War Museum London.
- Visit the Dub London: Bassline of a City exhibition at the Museum of London to celebrate dub reggae and its influence on the capital. Until 31 Jan
- Plan a day out in South Kensington to visit the V&A, the Natural History Museum and the Science Museum.
- Stick around for Fantastic Beasts: The Wonder of Nature at the Natural History Museum.
- See all seven of the Raphael Cartoons at the V&A.
- Enter the world of electronic music at the Design Museum’s Electronic: From Kraftwerk to The Chemical Brothers exhibition. Until 3 May
- Don't miss the Design Museum's Margaret Calvert: Woman at Work exhibition, celebrating the work of the graphic design pioneer. Until 11 Apr
- Learn about the history of the Royal Air Force at the RAF Museum London.
- Head beneath the streets of Westminster and see where Winston Churchill and his inner circle directed the Second World War at Churchill War Rooms.
- Visit the iconic Old Royal Naval College in Greenwich to explore 500 years of history.
- Get up close to more than 450 ancient objects unearthed in London with the Havering Hoard: A Bronze Age Mystery exhibition at the Museum of London Docklands. Until 18 April
- Discover a living part of Britain's heritage at the Royal Mews at Buckingham Palace.
- Find out what it means to be human in the 21st century at the Wellcome Collection's Being Human exhibition.
- Test your reactions and play the interactive Smooth Operator game at London Transport Museum.
Check out some of the best museum exhibitions in London.
- Explore one of the world’s greatest collections of paintings at the National Gallery on Trafalgar Square.
- Lose yourself in paintings, drawings and sculptures spanning the centuries at the Guildhall Art Gallery, before taking a peek at London’s Roman Amphitheatre.
- Spend an afternoon learning about British art from the 1500s to the present day at Tate Britain.
- See the first UK exhibition from Toyin Ojih Odutola at The Curve as the Barbican throws open its doors again. Until 24 Jan
- See photographs inspired by politics and black lesbian and gay identities in contemporary South Africa at the Zanele Muholi exhibition at Tate Modern. Until 31 May
- View some of the Queen's favourite paintings from the Royal Collection at the Masterpieces from Buckingham Palace exhibition. Until 31 Jan 2022
Take a look at some of the top art exhibitions in London.
Top London events
London theatre and shows
- Don your gladrags for a night with The Great Gatsby at one of his famously scandalous parties. Until 28 Aug
- Tap your feet to a tale of historical heartbreak filled with girl power and singalong tunes during Six The Musical at the Lyric Theatre (29 Jan-18 Apr) and the Arts Theatre (20 Apr-5 Sep).
- Discover why Everybody's Talking about Jamie as this smash-hit musical makes its return to the London stage. 29 Jan-21 Mar
- Laugh along to Mischief Theatre's hilarious The Play That Goes Wrong. 29 Jan-26 Sep
- Laugh out loud to Showstopper! The Improvised Musical at the Garrick Theatre. 8 Feb-19 Apr
- Enjoy an evening of theatre fun with one of the plays at the Bridge Theatre.
- Be part of the audience for a collection of mesmerising live dance performances at Sadler's Wells.
- Take your seats for an exciting lineup of socially distanced shows as part of the Live from the Barbican series. Various dates
- Welcome back London's oldest surviving grand music hall as Wilton's reopens its doors to delight audiences with theatre, music and spoken word. From Jan 2021
- Visit London's West End for Come From Away: The Concert at the Phoenix Theatre. 10-27 Feb
Discover more of the best theatre in London.
Outdoor events in London
- Step outside and make the most of the outdoor entertainment across the capital, from riverside theatre to open-air art.
- Pop over to the West End and take a free self-guided audio tour of Theatreland, narrated by the legendary Sir Ian McKellen.
- Jump in the car for a night of entertainment at the West End Musical Drive-In.
- Plan a fun-filled night out at one of London’s best outdoor and drive-in cinemas.
More top London events
- Experience a dazzlingly glamorous performance from singers, dancers and entertainers during London Never Dies at the London Cabaret Club. From 9 Jan
- Be transported through five different periods of musical history with One Night Records' Lockdown Town. From 1 May
- Combine yoga with a sprinkle of vogueing during the sass-filled VOGA fitness class.
Fun London attractions
- Explore the incredible collection of plants and fungi at Kew Gardens.
- Climb aboard the famous Cutty Sark – one of the fastest sailing ships of its time – in Greenwich.
- Step inside Tower Bridge to learn all about the incredible history of this world-famous London landmark. And make sure to stand on the glass floor in the Walkways, if you dare!
- Check out the new public sculpture by Eva Rothschild in Coal Drops Yard, before hunting for more art in the area.
- Scale one of the most iconic structures in London to get unbeatable views of the city at Up at The O2.
- Step through the famous doors of Shakespeare's Globe Theatre to enjoy an open-air guided tour and learn all about its fascinating history.
- Fuel your adrenaline rush and whizz down the river at high speeds with Thames RIB Experience and Thames Rockets.
- Or enjoy the scenery at a slower pace and have lunch while you sail down the river Thames on a Bateaux London cruise.
- Be amazed by the stunning architecture of St Paul’s Cathedral in the City of London.
- Gather your trusted team for a day of adventure and try to crack The Crystal Maze Live Experience.
- Take in London’s riverside landmarks as you travel along the Thames with City Cruises or Uber Boat by Thames Clippers.
- Explore the Roman Temple of Mithras and the collection of excavated artefacts found on the ancient site at London Mithraeum Bloomberg SPACE.
- Say hello to some of your favourite big-screen stars with Scenes in the Square.
- Explore the capital's largest wetlands during the 11-month contemporary art programme Wetlands Unravelled.
- Try your hand at outdoor crazy golf at Plonk in London Fields.
Top things to do with the kids
- Pre-book a ticket to see the incredible selection of animals at ZSL London Zoo.
- Spot landmarks including Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament and Buckingham Palace from the London Eye.
- Experience classic sets from the films, 10 laugh-out-loud live shows and more at Shrek’s Adventure on the South Bank.
- Meet sharks, sea turtles and tropical fish at SEA LIFE London Aquarium.
- Walk through London’s scary history and discover secrets from the torture chamber at The London Dungeon.
- Come face-to-face with the wax figure version of your favourite celebs at Madame Tussauds.
- Say hello to the Beefeaters at the Tower of London, and learn about the history of the royal palace and its grizzly past.
- Step inside the Butterfly House at the Horniman Museum & Gardens, where you'll be surrounded by hundreds of fluttering creatures.
- Let the little ones have some educational fun as they try out a range different careers at Kidzania.
- Journey into space during a visit to the Peter Harrison Planetarium at the Royal Observatory.
- Take on an family-friendly challenge at The Crystal Maze LIVE Experience London.
- Watch the pelicans being fed every day in St James’s Park, while keeping your eyes peeled for a range of other wildlife.
Find more things to do with the family.