What is there to do at the Bank of England Museum?Marvel at ancient gold bars and their modern market equivalent, then learn all there is to learn about bank notes and the people who have been celebrated on them. The Bank of England’s collection of interesting bank notes includes a selection of forgeries and fakes, plus the guides bank staff have used to spot them.
Check out documents relating to famous customers who have visited the Bank of England, including Horatio Nelson, George Washington and the Duchess of Marlborough.
And don’t forget to see the Roman mosaics unearthed when the bank was built in 1930 and the weaponry used to defend it.
Along with its permanent displays, the Bank of England Museum also hosts temporary exhibitions on subjects connected to the economy and the history of money.
Is it free to visit the Bank of England Museum?Yes, it is free to visit the Bank of England Museum.
How long does it take to go around the Bank of England Museum?To fully enjoy the Bank of England Museum, allow yourself one to two hours for your visit.
Where is the Bank of England Museum?The museum is inside the Bank of England in the City of London. You can enter the museum from Bartholomew Lane.
How do I get to the Bank of England Museum?
The closest Tube station is Bank (Central, Northern, DLR, Waterloo & City lines), which is a one-minute walk away. Monument (Circle and District) and Mansion House (Circle and District) are a six-minute walk away and Liverpool Street (Central, Hammersmith & City, Metropolitan) is seven minutes away.
Bus routes 8, 11 25, 26 run close to the museum.
There are Santander Cycles docking stations directly outside the museum.
The Bank of England Museum is currently closed. It is expected to reopen in Spring 2022.
Images and Videos
Venue Details & Map
Bank of England Museum
Bartholomew Lane, City of LondonLondonEC2R 8AH
- +44 (0)20 3461 5545
Facilities & Accessibility
- Access Inside Building Facilities
- All routes suitable for wheelchair users
- Access into the Building
- Temporary ramps available
- Accessible Bathroom Facilities
- Bathrooms available with emergency call system
- Designated wheelchair accessible public toilet
- Some toilets with handrails
- Accessible Communication Facilities
- Hearing loop system
- Information available in audio format
- Information available in large print
- Accessible Parking Facilities
- Drop-off point for guests available outside main entrance
- Accessible Venue Facilities
- Assistance dogs welcome
- Level access, ramp or lift to the lounge
- Level access, ramp or lift to the shop
- Staff available to assist
- Staff disability awareness trained
- Wheelchairs available free of charge
- Additional Accessible Facilities
- Accessible baby changing rooms
- Attraction Facilities
- Audio commentary available
- Gift shop
- Patron toilets
- Booking Facilities
- Coach parties accepted
- Payment Facilities
- Free entry