Coach services criss-cross the UK with connections to continental Europe too. However, coach journey times tend to be longer than the equivalent train service.
Victoria Coach Station is London's principal coach gateway. It's located in the heart of the city in busy Victoria, a short walk from Victoria mainline railway and Tube station. It is run by Transport for London and is the base of National Express and Eurolines services as well as a selection of smaller coach operators. Victoria Coach Station is equipped with several shops and facilities including a left-luggage office.
National Express coaches
National Express is the UK's largest coach operator and offers travel to destinations all over the country. It runs express services from many major towns and cities as well as connecting services for smaller towns and villages. It's a hassle-free, great value travel option to more than 1,200 destinations nationwide, including London's Airports.
Popular National Express destinations and journey times
Journey time variation depends on route and any interchange waiting time.
- Birmingham: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Blackpool: 6-9 hours
- Brighton: 1 hour 50 minutes
- Bristol: 2 hours 20 minutes
- Canterbury: 1 hour 35 minutes
- Cardiff: 3-4 hours
- Durham: 6-7 hours
- Edinburgh: 9-12 hours
- Exeter: 4 hours 15 minutes-5 hours
- Glasgow: 8 hours 10 minutes-10 hours 30 minutes
- Leeds: 4 hours-5 hours 50 minutes
- Liverpool: 5 hours 10 minutes-7 hours
- Manchester: 4 hours 40 minutes-6 hours 10 minutes
- Nottingham: 2 hours 45 minutes-3 hours 30 minutes
- Sheffield: 3 hours 45 minutes-4 hours 40 minutes
- York: 4 hours 50 minutes-6 hours.
Cheap coaches to London
There are great deals to be had on coach travel to London. For cheap coaches to London, try the following companies for the best fares:
- National Express offers cheap fares to London and are available from more than 30 UK cities, with prices from £1
- Megabus offers cheap travel to London from UK destinations from £1 plus a 50p booking fee
- easyBus offers low-cost coach services into London from Stansted Airport, Gatwick Airport or Luton Airport
- Berry's Coaches run frequent services between the West Country and London
- Oxford Tube and the X90 are cheap coach services between Oxford and London, serving the Victoria area with additional pick-up and drop-off points including Notting Hill and Hillingdon
- Green Line Coaches connect the Home Counties to London
Coaches to London from Europe
Eurolines consists of 28 independent operators making up Europe's largest regular coach network. The UK operator is National Express. These services are a great way to get around Europe on a budget. More than 500 destinations are covered across Europe and beyond, from Casablanca to Moscow. Visit the Eurolines website.
iDBUS operate coach services to London from Paris, Lyon and Lille. The company also operates lines from Paris to Milan and Turin, and from the south of France to Italy. Visit the iDBUS website
Using coaches with a disability
It's essential to check accessibility and concessionary rates with the coach operator. UK residents who are registered disabled can buy a Disabled Coachcard and receive one third off fares on National Express. Read National Express's information for disabled travellers.
Coach tours from London
Coach tours are a great way to see sights and attractions without the hassle of making loads of travel arrangements and hotel bookings. London is within easy reach of many major tourist attractions such as Stonehenge, Leeds Castle and historic Bath. Tour operators such as Golden Tours can be a convenient, good value option. You can also take bus tours within London.