What's on in London this weekend?
Check out our pick of the best things to do in London this weekend, from seeing a West End show, eating out and shopping, to immersive experiences and fun family activities.
Things to do all weekend
1. Enjoy London theatre this weekend
Head to London's West End for a fabulous show this weekend. Be transported to the plains of Africa with family favourite The Lion King London, encounter a mysterious masked figure in London Phantom of the Opera, laugh out loud to the Book of Mormon London or secure Wicked musical tickets and follow the tale of two witches.
London is full of upcoming shows, making this weekend the perfect opportunity to see something new. Travel to Japan and enter the wonderful world of Studio Ghibli with the return of My Neighbour Totoro. Experience a tale where romance and time travel rhythms important moments of life with The Times Traveller's Wife. Or follow the heartwarming story of the Queen Mother and her faithful servant Billy Tallon, played by Luke Evans in Backstairs Billy.
Alternatively, catch one of London’s top Christmas productions, such as the hilarious ELF The Musical or the hysterical cacophony of Peter Pan Goes Wrong. Or enjoy Tchaikovsky's beloved ballet for a seasonal classic: The Nutcracker.
Take your pick from more best musicals in London.
2. Tick off London's top attractions
Plan an action-packed day out at the capital's top London attractions, from hearing historic tales at the Tower of London to hanging out with celebs at Madame Tussauds, crossing the walkway at Tower Bridge or exploring the best family attractions.
As the Tower of London brings back its festive regalia, explore magical coronation-themed installations and enjoy yuletide delights with mince pies and luxurious hot chocolate. Or hop aboard for some jolly festive fun at the London Transport Museum as Santa lands his Christmas sleigh at the museum.
3. Celebrate the 12 days of Christmas on the Snowman Art Trail
Take a trip down memory lane as The Snowman, a beloved Christmas animated film and original picture book by Raymond Bring, gets its own art trail in London. Head to the Fleet Street Quarter and celebrate the 12 days of Christmas with 12 sculptures of The Snowman scattered across Ludgate Hill, the Old Bailey and Chancery Lane.
Don't forget to take part in the festivities with Visit London's 12 Days of Christmas Giveaway. From visits to top attractions and memorable nights out to overnight stays in the city, enter to win some magical experiences in the capital.
Things to do in London this Saturday (9 Dec)
4. Be enchanted at The Kingdom of Winter
Take a magical journey to the Kingdom of Winter, London's biggest indoor celebration, starting this weekend. Immerse yourself in the charm of alpine style Christmas markets, savour seasonal delicacies and then spin into the excitement of the ice rink. Unleash the adventurer in you as you follow the tracks of polar bears and penguins on the Expedition Winter Trail through a crisp and snowy wonderland.
5. Twirl around a picturesque ice rink
With ice rinks popping up across the city, head to one of London’s most spectacular ice skating locations for a magical winter experience. Visit Hampton Court Palace and skate against the backdrop of the palace's remarkable Tudor facade, or get your skates on at Glide Battersea Park and have a spin around the ice rink bordering the river Thames. Don't forget to visit Jo Malone enchanting gingerbread house standing in front of the power station.
6. Enjoy a night out in London
December sparks with a variety of activities ready to entertain for all taste. Enjoy a Saturday night in London and get ready to sing along your favourite Christmas tunes with the Old Dirty Brasstards, a 10-piece brass band bringing all the classics with their Big Brass Xmas Bash.
Or enjoy an evening of classical music with an orchestra performing Vivaldi's timeless classics in a spectacular candlelit room at St Mary Le Strand.
Things to do this Sunday (10 Dec)
7. Get into the Christmas spirit at King’s Cross
Coal Drops Yard in Kings Cross gets an alpine makeover this December - the perfect excuse to get festive! Get competitive with friends and try your hand at curling before heading to Canopy Market for delicious street food, artisan products and crafts. This weekend the Vegan Market returns to Canopy with a wide range of skincare, plant-based cheeses, fine chocolates and many other delicacies.
8. Find the city’s best Sunday roasts
Embark on a foodie adventure through London's best roasts, where culinary excellence meets tradition. Find hidden gems tucked away in historic pubs or trendy eateries for the perfect Sunday. Picture succulent, perfectly roasted delicacies accompanied by fluffy Yorkshire puddings and crispy potatoes smothered in savoury gravy.
Head to The Smokehouse in Islington for sizzling roast lamb served with roast potatoes and glazed carrots. Or head to The Spread Eagle, London's first fully vegan pub, for a gig and their famous Beet Wellington served with all the trimmings.
9. Discover London's best Christmas pop-ups
Make the most of the many exciting Christmas events and experiences popping up in iconic locations across the city this winter.
- Stroll along the South Bank Centre Winter Market (until 26 Dec), enjoying a sweet, mulled cider and festive food while wandering along the light trail before heading to the Nutcracker Tuff Nut Jazz Club (23-30 Dec) for a night of festive music and dance performances.
- Tuck into tasty sweet and savoury treats on the Brigit’s Bakery Christmas Afternoon Tea Bus Tour (Until 31 Dec) or hop aboard the limited addition Grinchmas Afternoon Tea Bus Tour (Until 31 Jan).
- Take a trip down memory lane when visiting Miracle Henrietta, a Christmas pop up bar inspired by the 70’s home decked with a festive make over. Try some old school cocktails such as the iconic Christmapolitan before Elfing Around.
- Enjoy campfire and a few roasted s’mores on the enchanted candlelit rooftop of the Midnight Apothecary. Warm up around firepit while sampling seasonal botanical cocktails, before heading to explore the Thames tunnels.
- Enjoy a night of live music and immersive festive entertainment Santa’s hidden watering hole at Humbug: The Immersive Christmas Dive Bar in Waterloo. Until 6 Jan
- Get inspired for your next Christmas creation at Gingerbread City where architects, designers and engineers build an enchanting city out of gingerbread. 2 Dec-7 Jan
For more ideas on the best things to do in London, don’t forget to check out what’s on in London, including things to do each month and key events. Make sure to download the Visit London app to find more ideas on the go.