Experience the magic of Christmas in London. Because there is nothing like Christmas in the capital!
There are so many things to do for families over the festive season, so plan a fun-filled day out and enjoy London safely this Christmas.
Just remember to keep safe, follow the latest coronavirus guidelines and act responsibly when out and about.
Share your magical Christmas moments using the #BecauseImALondoner hashtag on social media!
Umissable Christmas things to do in London for families
- Step inside a winter wonderland as Hogwarts in the Snow arrives at the wizarding world of Warner Bros. Studio Tour London. 13 Nov-16 Jan
- Follow a glittering trail made up of more than one million lights through the famous botanical gardens with Christmas at Kew. 17 Nov-9 Jan
- Book onto a special Christmas lights bus tour to see some of the capital's best festive displays and iconic attractions. 15 Nov-3 Jan
- Or hop on open-top bus tour to see the capital sparkle after dark with Christmas lights and decorations.
- Take in the magic of Christmas Eve on the Illuminations of London tour, where you can see iconic landmarks such as Buckingham Palace and Tower Bridge lit up as night falls. 24 Dec
- Mark Christmas Day in style with a lunch cruise along the river Thames, complete with music and carols. 25 Dec
Discover more fun activities this Christmas in London.
Top London attractions
- Step into an underwater world and meet some of your favourite creatures at the SEA LIFE London Aquarium.
- Spend an afternoon soaking up wintry views across the capital on the London Eye.
- Explore more than 1,000 years of history and see the Crown Jewels at the Tower of London.
- Prepare to be scared if you're brave enough to step inside the London Dungeon.
- Enter the Engine rooms and learn all about the history of Tower Bridge, before standing on its famous glass floor!
- Visit Madame Tussauds to get up close to some of the world's most famous faces, including movie stars, music icons and the royal family.
- Plan a trip to KidZania, where children can try out an exciting range of careers before they grow up.
- Head to the top of London's highest building with a visit to The View from The Shard.
- Pose for a family selfie outside the Queen's royal residence at Buckingham Palace.
- Tackle an action-packed adventure with the kids at The Crystal Maze LIVE Experience London.
- Follow in the footsteps of your favourite characters and visit Harry Potter film locations across the city, including Leadenhall Market, Piccadilly Circus and Tower Bridge.
Explore more London attractions without the crowds this Christmas.
Museums and galleries in London
- Little ones can get behind the wheel of a red double-decker bus at the London Transport Museum.
- Plan a day out in South Kensington to visit the V&A, Science Museum and Natural History Museum.
- Discover the delights of the British Museum, which is home to fascinating items including Egyptian mummies and Parthenon sculptures.
- Trace 500 years of postal history at London's Postal Museum.
- Admire artworks from the Royal Collection with Masterpieces at Buckingham Palace in the The Queen's Gallery.
- Discover incredible works from some of the world's greatest artists in the National Gallery.
- Visit exciting exhibits at some of the best London museums for kids, or explore on a budget with these free museums and galleries.
- Catch up on culture while visiting the city's latest art exhibitions and museum exhibitions over the festive season.
London theatre and cinema
- Treat the family to a night at the theatre with a festive show, classic ballet or hilarious pantomime.
- Enjoy top movies, seasonal snacks and festive entertainment from the comfort of your car at The Drive In. Until 28 Jan
- Grab some popcorn and get comfy for festive family favourites at Cinema in the Snow. Until 20 Dec
- Travel to The Snow Kingdom (Until 28 Feb) or step inside the Winter Night Garden (Until 3 Feb) to catch a film in wintry surroundings with Backyard Cinema.
- Head over to Ally Pally for a family-friendly performance of The Gruffalo's Child. Until 3 Jan
- Be treated to seven pantomimes in 70 minutes as Potted Panto unfolds at the Garrick Theatre. Until 10 Jan
- See a star-studded cast take to the West End stage in A Christmas Carol – The Staged Musical. Until 2 Jan
- Laugh along as the Cornley Polytechnic Drama Society's murder mystery spirals out of control in The Play That Goes Wrong. Until 2 May
- Experience a Christmas tradition as hilarious pantomime returns to the London Palladium in Pantoland. 12 Dec-3 Jan
- Be dazzled by a magical retelling of the classic ballet with Nutcracker Delights at the London Coliseum. 17 Dec-3 Jan
London food and drink for families
- Dine in style with your very own igloo at Somerset House in the gorgeous Edmond J. Safra Fountain Court. Until 1 Jan
- Enjoy festive treats and a jolly sing-along while passing world-famous landmarks on B Bakery’s Peppa Pig Christmas Bus Tour. Until 6 Jan
- Float down the river Thames with Bateaux London’s family lunch cruise with a Christmas twist. 20 Dec
- Indulge in finger sandwiches, scones and sweet treats during one of London's finest afternoon tea experiences at The Ritz.
- Drop by Borough Market for a spot of street food for lunch, or pick up some seasonal ingredients for your Christmas dinner.
- Feast on Christmas-inspired treats at the Conrad London St James. hotel, including turkey finger sandwiches and festive cakes.
- Treat yourself and the kids to a delicious dinner at a top-notch London restaurant, from Leicester Square Kitchen and Heddon Street Kitchen to Hans' Bar & Grill and Estiatorio Milos.
- Tuck into a tasty meal at one of London’s best family restaurants, including The Rainforest Cafe, Planet Hollywood, Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. and the Hard Rock Cafe.
- Get in the Christmas spirit with an afternoon tea in London, with family-friendly options including Charlie and the Chocolate Factory-inspired treats, a Teddy Bears' Picnic Afternoon Tea and an Apres-Ski Afternoon Tea.
Check out more places to eat and drink this Christmas in London with kids.
Family-friendly places to shop in London
- Hunt for gifts on world-famous shopping streets, including Oxford Street, Regent Street and Bond Street.
- Let the kids explore seven floors of incredible toys and games in Hamleys.
- Pick up presents from some of the top shopping destinations in London, from Covent Garden and Carnaby to Camden.
- Finish off your Christmas shopping in one place at Westfield London or Westfield Stratford City.
- Get in the festive spirit with a visit to the Christmas shops at Fortnum & Mason, Selfridges and Liberty London.
- Look for luxury items in the gorgeously dressed Burlington Arcade or Duke of York Square.
- Little ones and not-so-little ones will love exploring the chocolatastic M&M's World.
- Have some brick-filled fun at The LEGO Store London Leicester Square. It's the largest LEGO store in the world!
- Browse the shelves for cute childrenswear, books and toys at Trotters.
- Explore the toy-filled wonderland of Benjamin Pollock's Toyshop in Covent Garden.
Find more places to go Christmas shopping in London.
Outdoor adventures for families
- Head to Carnary Wharf to discover cool light installations during Connected by Light. 2 Dec-27 Feb
- Wrap up warm and join Eltham Palace’s fun-filled Christmas Adventure Quest. 26 Dec-3 Jan
- Be wowed by the incredible Winter Commission decorating the front of Tate Britain with colourful neon lights. Until 31 Jan
- See Winter Light artworks light up the skies across the Southbank Centre this winter. Until 28 Feb
- Pretend you’re riding in Santa’s sleigh as you whizz down the river with Thames Rocket’s Jingle Bell Blast.
- Spot London landmarks dressed up for Christmas across the city on The Original Tour's open-top bus Christmas Kids Tour.
Check out more things to do outdoors in London.
Christmas activities for kids to do at home
- Spend an afternoon getting creative with Borough Market’s demos, foodie tips and live cookalongs during its Festive Kitchen series. Until 18 Dec
- Children and their grownups can say hello to Santa at Home in his online grotto this Christmas. Until 24 Dec
- Get ready for a swashbuckling adventure and bring some pantomime fun to your sofa with The Legend of Moby Dick Whittington. Until 31 Dec