The great painter J.M.W. Turner designed Sandycombe Lodge (Turner’s House) for his own use as a quiet, domestic retreat from the London art world.
The house was built in 1813 and until Turner sold it in 1826, it also provided a home for his father, "old dad", who tended the large garden and kept house. The nearby Thames inspired many of his most beautiful paintings, as well as providing him with pleasurable opportunities to fish with his friends.
The architecture of this little building is quirky, reflecting Turner’s own designs but also the influence of his good friend, the architect John Soane. Turner made many sketches before finally arriving at his final design, and these are now brought together in single facsimile sketchbook presented inside the villa.
Extensive conservation of Sandycombe Lodge took place in 2016-17. Today, this beautiful property provides a tantalising glimpse into a rural Regency retreat enjoyed by both father and son.
Prices and opening times
|Child Ticket||£3.00 per ticket|
|Family Ticket||£17.00 per ticket|
|Adult Ticket||£7.00 to £8.00 per ticket|
Price per adult for the self-guided tour between 12 and 1pm is £7.00 per person.
All guided tours at 1pm, 2pm and 3pm are £8.00 per person.
Turner's House are open Wednesday to Sunday: 12pm to 4pm
Self-guided visit: 12pm to 1pm
Guided tours: 1pm, 2pm and 3pm
Venue Details & Map
Turner's House Twickenham: Sandycombe Lodge
40 Sandycoombe Road
St MargaretsTwickenhamLondonTW1 2LR
- + 44 (0)20 8892 5485
- Public transport:
- St Margarets station: five-minute walk Richmond Overground and Tube Stations: 30-minute walk or various buses Twickenham Station: 20-minute walk or bus from the high street
Facilities & Accessibility
- Access Inside Building Facilities
- Some routes suitable for wheelchair users
- Steps within building
- Access into the Building
- Ramps from parking area to entrance
- Accessible Bathroom Facilities
- Bathrooms available with emergency call system
- Accessible Communication Facilities
- Audible alarm system
- Information available in large print
- Menus available in large print
- Accessible Parking Facilities
- Blue badge parking available
- Designated disabled parking available within fifty metres of main entrance
- Accessible Venue Facilities
- Assistance dogs welcome
- Level access, ramp or lift to the lounge
- Level access, ramp or lift to the shop
- Additional Accessible Facilities
- Level access, ramp or lift to garden
- Level access, ramp or lift to information point
- Attraction Facilities
- Gift shop
- Public toilets
- Booking Facilities
- Group bookings accepted
- Payment Facilities
- Group rates available