Experience a Shakespearean classic at the Globe Theatre in Bankside or learn more about its history on a Shakespeare’s Globe guided tour and an exhibition.
What’s on at Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre
Book in advance for Shakespeare’s Globe’s Summer Season, which includes a series of Shakespearean plays in the open-air theatre every summer, from May until October.
During winter, you can see performances at the Sam Wanamaker Playhouse, an indoor theatre named after the founder of Shakespeare’s Globe. Built in the Jacobean style, its plays are performed in candlelight.
What tours can I go on at Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre?
Step back into 400 years of history on a guided tour of the Globe Theatre auditorium, which departs every 30 minutes, daily, throughout the year (subject to rehearsals and performances).
Tickets must be booked in advance – book tickets for the Shakespeare’s Globe tour and exhibition now.
Expert guides bring to life tales from this working theatre and explain how it remains an experimental venue today during the 40-minute tour.
Where is Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre?
Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre is in Bankside, on the south bank of the river Thames. This reconstruction of the original Elizabethan theatre is just 230m (750ft) from its original Bankside location.
How to get to Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre
Shakespeare’s Globe is easily accessible by various means of transport.
London Blackfriars, London Bridge and London Cannon Street train stations; and Blackfriars, Southwark, London Bridge, Mansion House and St Paul’s Underground stations are all within 15 minutes’ walk.
Walk to Bankside using riverside footpaths from the South Bank and Southwark Bridge, or cross the river from the City of London via the Millennium Bridge.
There are Santander Cycles docking points just behind the theatre, at New Globe Walk.
River bus services with Uber Boat by Thames Clippers stop at Bankside Pier, directly outside the Globe.
Where can I eat nearby?
Enjoy a pre-theatre or post-tour meal at Shakespeare’s Globe’s on-site restaurant Swan at the Globe. Featuring sweeping views of the river Thames, this restaurant serves modern British food and a special Midsummer Night’s Dream afternoon tea.
This content has been supplied by Shakespeare's Globe Theatre
Bookings should be made through the box office.
Tel: 020 7401 9919
Fax: 020 7902 1475.
Globe Theatre - late April to early October, Sam Wanamaker Playhouse - late October to early April
Facilities & Accessibility
- Access Inside Building Facilities
- Accessible lift
- Lift buttons with raised numbers or letters
- Lift with spoken announcements on arrival at each floor
- Ramps with handrail within building
- Ramps within building
- Steps with handrail within building
- Steps within building
- Access into the Building
- Automatic doors
- Accessible Bathroom Facilities
- Designated wheelchair accessible public toilet
- Accessible Communication Facilities
- Audible alarm system
- Hearing loop system
- Information available in large print
- Accessible Parking Facilities
- Blue badge parking available
- Designated disabled parking available within fifty metres of main entrance
- Accessible Venue Facilities
- Assistance dogs can be looked after by staff
- Assistance dogs welcome
- Emergency evacuation procedures for guests with disabilities
- Level access, ramp or lift to dining area
- Level access, ramp or lift to restaurant or cafe
- Level access, ramp or lift to the bar
- Level access, ramp or lift to the shop
- Special dietary requirements catered for
- Staff disability awareness trained
- Wheelchairs available free of charge
- Additional Accessible Facilities
- Accessible baby changing rooms
- Accessible changing rooms
- Audio Described (AD) performances
- Captioned (CAP) performances
- Low payment counters
- Low reception or information counters
- Relaxed performances
- Signed British Sign Language (BSL) performances
- Attraction Facilities
- Gift shop
- Public toilets
- Booking Facilities
- Coach parties accepted
- Group bookings accepted
- Catering Facilities
- Event catering
- Outdoor dining / Beer garden
- Private Dining
- Set price menu
- Theatre menu
- Vegetarian options on menu
- Children Facilities
- Children welcome
- Childrens menu
- Event Facilities
- Available for wedding receptions
- Breakout Rooms
- Civil Partnership licence held
- Conference rooms / Meeting rooms
- In house AV available
- Licenced for civil marriages
- Wedding service
- General Facilities
- Free WiFi
- Payment Facilities
- Group rates available