London officially became a city that never sleeps after the arrival of the Night Tube.
The 24-hour Tube operates on Friday and Saturday nights on the Victoria, Jubilee, and most of the Central, Northern and Piccadilly lines.
Free things to do in London at night
- Bring your camera to snap the city’s famous landmarks as they’re dramatically lit up at night: Top picks include Tower Bridge, Piccadilly Circus, Houses of Parliament and Harrods.
- Watch the sunset with a picnic on Primrose Hill: The view from the top is one of London's best, affording a fantastic panorama across the city.
Cheap nights out in London
- Put your general knowledge to the test at The Old Queens Head: Team up and enter one of its regular pub quizzes.
- Grab some food at one of the city's best street vendors: Tuck into everything from bao buns to New York-style pizza.
- Visit a bar or pub during happy hour for cut-price drinks: Dirty Martini offers half-price martinis and cocktails during its daily happy hours.
- See a cheap gig in London: Bag yourself some wallet-friendly tickets.
- Get cheap tickets for major West End shows: Visit the TKTS booth in Leicester Square on the day of the performance.
See a theatre show in London tonight
- Be part of the action at an immersive theatre show: From Mamma Mia! The Party to Witness for the Prosecution.
- Treat yourself to a glittering night out at a top West End musical: Watch The Lion King London or Wicked the musical.
- Enjoy a pint and a play at one of London's pub theatres: Find some of London's best quality theatre shows and cutting-edge comedy nights in the capital's pubs.
Live music venues in London
- Swing by Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club in Soho: See top jazz stars perform at this legendary venue.
- Spend an evening at The 100 Club: Follow in the footsteps of music legends Oasis and The Sex Pistols.
- Tap your feet to a brilliant jam session at Ain’t Nothin’ But Blues Bar: The intimate venue is open seven days a week.
- See up-and-coming bands at Camden's The Dublin Castle: Both Blur and Coldplay have graced its stage.
- Enjoy a night out at the Grade II-listed Roundhouse: The iconic venue counts The Doors and Jimi Hendrix among its past performers.
- Visit revamped music venue KOKO: This is where Madonna had her first UK show.
- Listen to live music at The Piano Works: Hear pianists perform audience-requested playlists live.
- Venture below St Martin-in-the-Fields church after dark with Crypt Lates: Enjoy an evening of live jazz music in atmospheric surroundings.
- Enjoy a gig at Hootananny Brixton: Bop along to roots, reggae, ska and folk music.
Late-night shopping in London
- Shop till late at Westfield London: Discover luxury and high-street shops under one roof.
- Or head to Westfield Stratford City: Shop at one of the largest urban shopping centres in Europe.
- Flex your credit card until late along London’s famous Oxford Street: Home to department stores, designer brands and high-street favourites.
- Shop through the evening at Duke of York Square: Find big-brand stores and more.
Night bus and boat tours
- Step aboard a Ghost Bus Tour: Hear stories from London’s murky past.
- Hop on an open-top-bus tour: See top sights sparkle at twilight.
- Relax on an evening cruise: Kick back with drinks and canapes, and enjoy live music as you drift past some of the best London landmarks.
- Treat yourself to a dinner cruise: Journey through the capital on a relaxing cruise.
- Foodies should book a tour with Bustronome: Enjoy French-inspired fine dining on the top deck of a bus.
- Glide across the Thames: Enjoy dinner on a Jazz Cruise as you sweep along the river.
- Enjoy a themed night cruise on the Thames: Take a boat tour with a difference with a murder mystery or an Elvis tribute night.
Night-time walks in London
- Go on a Jack the Ripper Ghost Walk: Follow an eerie route through the old alleyways of the East End.
- Enjoy a stroll along the Thames to see bridges glow as part of the Illuminated River installation: Admire some of the capital’s top attractions prettily lit up at night, including the London Eye and the Houses of Parliament.
- Keep an eye out for bat walks: Available on select dates in London's Royal Parks.
Explore London's nightlife scene
- Party the night away at one of London's top 10 clubs: Experience the cream of the city's nightlife scene.
- See a risqué cabaret or burlesque show: Expect an eye-popping display of sequins and much more.
- Step aboard a Night Bus Tour: See some of London’s major attractions lit up at night.
- Enjoy a lively game at an activity bar: Sip a cocktail as you battle it out during ping pong, shuffleboard, darts and more.
- Sing your heart out at one of London's karaoke bars: Belt out your favourite tunes.
- Sip a pint or two in one of London's old haunted pubs: Check out The Grenadier, The Spaniards Inn and former jail The Viaduct Tavern.
- Soak up hundreds of years of history in a traditional pub: Try Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, where Charles Dickens used to drink.
- Enjoy a drink with a view at a riverside pub: Seek out London's top waterside hangouts.
- Try London-brewed beer on the Bermondsey Beer Mile: Sample the capital's craft beer scene in a stretch of former railway arches.
Top London bars
- Sip a flamboyant cocktail at Opium: A late-night drinking den and dim sum parlour.
- Check out London's top lesbian and gay bars: Explore the city's LGBTQ+ scene.
- Raise a celebratory toast at one of the city's champagne bars: Treat yourself to a glass of bubbly or two.
- Enjoy a night out with a difference at one of London's quirky bars: Go off the beaten track and find yourself a quirky basement bar, secret drinking hole or themed boozer.
- Drink in the neon lights: Find the bar among the wall-to-wall lights and signs at Gods Own Junkyard.
Late-night dining and 24-hour restaurants in London
- Chow down on steaks and burgers at Balans Soho Society: Enjoy a meal at this swanky Soho brasserie until the early hours.
- Check out Brick Lane Beigel Bake, open 24 hours a day: Pick up a tasty bagel after the clubs have shut.
- Experience London’s highest 24/7 restaurant Duck & Waffle: Fill up on crispy leg confit and fried duck egg washed down with champagne cocktails.
- Feeling peckish at 5am? Grab a late-night snack at 24-hour diner VQ Bloomsbury.
- Grab coffee and cake at late-night Soho institution Bar Italia: Follow in the footsteps of musicians and film stars.
London foodie hubs
- Feast on global street food galore at pop-up malls Boxpark Croydon, Boxpark Shoreditch and Boxpark Wembley: Each is home to a different selection of top-notch independent food and drink vendors.
- Explore cool food market Mercato Metropolitano: Try everything from handmade pasta to Argentinian steak.
- Alternatively, head to Mercato Mayfair: Feast on world foods and delicious drinks inside an old church with towering stained glass windows.
- Discover alfresco dining destination Kingly Court in London's West End: Eat out in one of more than 20 restaurants and cafes.
- Check out north London's bustling food hall Bang Bang Oriental: Find 27 kiosks serving up top-notch Asian fare.
- Discover eclectic eateries, cocktails and live music at Flat Iron Square: You'll find the foodie hub under the railway arches at Southwark.
- Head to Chinatown: Its restaurants serve up everything from sushi and satay to Szechuan and stir fry.
- Treat yourself to dinner in Soho: Explore a rich mix of opulent and down-to-earth restaurants.
Sky-high London – best views in London at night
- Go on an after-dark trip to The View from The Shard: See London sparkle at night from above.
- Watch the sun set over London at the free-to-enter Sky Garden: Book in advance online to guarantee yourself a spot.
- Soar across the sky in an IFS Cloud Cable Car: Soak in spectacular night-time views of London.
- Take an evening trip on the London Eye: Gaze at 360-degree views of London’s skyline.
Late-night London culture
- Enjoy after-dark exhibitions, talks and art: Many museums and galleries regularly open late, including institutions like Tate Modern and Saatchi Gallery.
- Throw yourself into an immersive experience: A huge array of experiences are on offer, from The London Dungeon to Monopoly Lifesized.
- Visit Dennis Severs' House after dark: Soak up the atmosphere of the home left behind by an imaginary 18th-century family.
- Catch a show at the Royal Opera House: Watch some of the world's finest opera stars on stage.
- See the Tower of London's Ceremony of the Keys: Witness a 700-year-old ceremony.
- Take a guided history tour of Wilton's Music Hall: Discover the world's oldest and last surviving grand music hall.
See Sir John Soane's Museum by candlelight: Book tickets for one of its after-hours events.
Sleepovers at London attractions
Sporty things to do at night in London
- Ice skate until late all-year-round at weekends at Alexandra Palace Ice Rink: Or enjoy the city’s magical outdoor ice rinks, most of which open from November to January.
- Enjoy a thrilling evening at one of London’s climbing centres: Scale walls or try bouldering at venues that are open late.
- Take a dance class at Pineapple Dance Studios: Classes vary from tap and ballet to contemporary styles.
- Go bowling in style at the plush All Star Lanes: Enjoy great cocktails and American fare.
- See a breathtaking sunset at Up at The O2: Climb the roof for a spectacular view of the city as the sun goes down.
Learn something new
- Enjoy lates at the Royal Observatory Greenwich: Featuring stargazing and film screenings.
- Attend a late-night debate at the Houses of Parliament: A memorable London experience.
- Cook up a culinary masterpiece at the Cookery School at Little Portland Street: You can book evening classes for all abilities.
- Master the art of mixology: Learn how to make a range of cocktails at a cocktail making masterclass*.
Creative things to do in London at night
- Experience “hairclubbing” at Blade Soho: Sip cocktails while getting your hair cut or treated.
- Sing along to your favourite movie at the Prince Charles Cinema: Croon along to Grease, Frozen, Dirty Dancing and more.
- Play an old-school board game at Draughts: Choose from more than 800 games to play at the board game cafe.
- Enjoy a game of mini-golf at Junkyard Golf Club: Get a hole-in-one at this quirky mini-golf bar.
- Play darts in style at cool bar Flight Club Shoreditch: While drinking craft beer and cocktails.
- Battle your way out of an escape room: Use brainpower and teamwork on a nail-biting night out.
Things to do at night in winter
- Experience Christmas at Kew: See Kew Gardens lit up with more than one million sparkling festive lights.
- Go on a festive adventure at Hyde Park’s Winter Wonderland: Enjoy ice skating, fairground rides and Christmas markets.
- Marvel at London’s dazzling Christmas lights: Look up and snap away at the magical sight of thousands of twinkling lights throughout the capital.
- Visit the Winter Festival at Southbank Centre: Celebrate Yuletide with a Christmas market and festive shows.
- Treat yourself to a Christmas show or pantomime: Enjoy a classic show over the festive season.
- Check out one of London’s cosy pubs: Snuggle up with a pint next to a crackling fire.
- Order a festive drink at one of London's many rooftop bars: Sample tasty winter cocktails.
- Whizz around an ice skating rink at Christmas: Get your skates on at twinkling ice rinks in iconic locations.
Things to do at night during summer in London
- While away a balmy summer night in a beer garden: Make the most of London's outdoor drinking spots.
- Spend a leisurely evening at an alfresco restaurant: From rooftop terraces and riverside balconies to hidden courtyards and restaurants in parks.
- See one of the Bard’s famous plays at Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre: Experience a show in a reconstruction of the original open-air playhouse.
- Catch a movie in the great outdoors at one of the city’s open-air cinemas: Watch all-time classics outdoors or from the comfort of your own car.
- See theatre under the stars at the Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre: Enjoy a season of Shakespeare, comedy, family fun and musicals in a magical setting.
For more nightlife inspiration, discover some of the top things to do late in London.