Make the most of the last few weeks of summer in September, when the weather is normally still warm and there's a whole range of unmissable events in London.
As the summer school holidays come to an end, the city welcomes an exciting lineup of architecture, fashion and music festivals – but there are still plenty of fun things to do for those family days out at the weekends.
Unmissable London events September 2022
- Enjoy a month-long celebration of London's river during Totally Thames: Admire artworks, catch concerts in unusual spaces and explore the history of the Thames through free exhibitions and walks. 1-30 Sep
- Head to the London Transport Museum for the Elizabeth line Late: Paint the town purple as you celebrate London's new high-speed railway. 9 Sep
- Don't miss the remaining performances of this year's BBC Proms: Experience the biggest classical music festival on the planet. Until 10 Sep
- Be inspired by the London Design Festival: Spot innovative design projects and large-scale installations as they pop up all over the capital in September. 17-25 Sep
- Explore the capital's architectural wonders at the Open House London: Step inside some of the capital’s most iconic, unusual and, at times, secret buildings during the free festival. 8-21 Sep
- Experience the past to brought to life at the annual Chelsea History Festival: Steep yourself in the area's history as you enjoy a programme of talks by world-class speakers, historians and performers. 17-25 Sep
- Be wowed by innovative theatre and performing arts at the Greenwich+Docklands International Festival: Immerse yourself in outdoor performances, cultural productions, art installations, music and more. Until 11 Sep
Sponsored by Big City Saver
London theatre in September
- Book your seat for London's top musicals: Be entertained by long-running musicals, classic comedies and ground breaking plays.
- Experience the magic of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe at the Gillian Lynne Theatre: Step through the wardrobe into the kingdom of Narnia for an epic adventure.
- Laugh out loud at The Play That Goes Wrong at the Duchess Theatre: Watch as everything that can go wrong with the award-winning comedy does....
- Be dazzled by Beauty and the Beast at the London Palladium: Fall under the spell of Disney's enchanting fairy tale as it comes to life on stage. Until 17 Sep
- See the spectacular Frozen at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane: E
- Marvel at the Lion King at the Lyceum Theatre: Be mesmerised by a visual feast of scenery and costumes as you follow Simba on his adventures in the Seregheti.
- Groove along to Grease at the Dominion Theatre: Experience the electrifying musical based on the much-loved movie - it's the one that you want to see!
- Don't miss TINA - The Tina Turner Musical: Sing along to all your favourite songs in this epic retelling of the legendary singer's story.
- Take your seat for Puccini's incredible opera Tosca at the London Coliseum: Be moved by romance and tragedy in this operatic political thriller. From 30 Sep
- Delight in Showstopper! The Improvised Musical at the Lyric Theatre: Expect the unexpected and plenty of comedy in this highly entertaining extravaganza.
Top September activities in London
- With the summer holidays over, it's a great time to visit London's top attractions without the crowds: Make memories at your favourite attractions this autumn.
- ...Or see many attractions in one go with a sightseeing pass: Big City Saver attractions passes, The London Pass and the Go City London Explorer Pass each allow you to visit multiple spots.
- Take a tour of Buckingham Palace: Step inside the famous royal residence and see the special exhibition, Platinum Jubilee: The Queen's Accession.
- Get your sightseeing fix with London's top tours: Learn about London's history, seek out hidden gems or enjoy a thrilling ride seeing the capital's iconic sights.
- Discover somewhere new within reach of the capital on a day trip from London: Explore exciting historic locations including Windsor, Stonehenge, Oxford, Canterbury and more.
- Explore London's world-famous sporting venues with a stadium tour: With the football season in full swing, why not go behind the scenes of your favourite team's ground.
- Soak up some September sun in the picturesque Kew Gardens: Or spot the leaves turning to autumnal hues in London's top parks and gardens.
- Take in some culture as many museums and galleries launch new exhibitions this month: Or explore cultural attractions after dark with fun-filled lates events.
- Enjoy alfresco movie watching at London's trendy outdoor cinemas: Grab some popcorn and catch a film under the stars on a warm September evening across the capital.
London exhibitions in September
- Explore the evocative artworks of Walter Sickert at Tate Britain: Discover how one of the central figures in early 19th-century British art influenced his peers, from impressionistic compositions to his innovative use of photography. Until 18 Sep
- Marvel at In the Black Fantastic at the Hayward Gallery: See the world differently, as eleven contemporary artists showcase works inspired by Afrofuturism, spiritual traditions, science fiction and myths. Until 18 Sep
- Don't miss Edvard Munch Masterpieces from Bergen at the Courtauld Gallery: Admire a thought-provoking collection of expressive and psychological artworks from the famous Norwegian painter. Until 4 Sep
- Immerse yourself in Hallyu! The Korean Wave at the Victoria and Albert Museum: Learn about the global impact of South Korean culture on the world of cinema, music, fashion and beauty. From 24 Sep
- Admire Inspiring Walt Disney: The Animation of French Decorative Art at the Wallace Collection: See magical
- Be dazzled by Gold at the British Library: Discover how the precious metal adorned, illuminated and elevated famous manuscripts and books throughout history.
- Be amused by Picturing Pickwick: The Art of The Pickwick Papers at the Charles Dickens Museum: Learn about the illustrators that collaborated with Dickens to create playful illustrations of the vibrant characters in the author's early work. Until 11 Sep
What else is on in September?
- Be thrilled by Punchdrunk's The Burnt City: Be part of this epic immersive experience, inspired by the Trojan War and the fall of mythical Troy.
- Listen to legendary opera singer Andrea Bocelli at the O2: Enjoy a memorable evening of operatic classics and arias from the Italian tenor. From 30 Sep
- Treat the little ones to Paw Patrol Live "Race to the Rescue" at Wembley's OVO Arena: Mayor Goodway has gone missing, will the pups be able to rescue him? 3 Sep
- Take your seat for the Musical Broadway Brunch at the Cocktail Club: Be entertained by all your favourite musical hits while you enjoy a bottomless brunch.
- Watch the Laver Cup London 2022 at the O2: See top tennis players in action as Europe takes on the rest of the world. 23-25 Sep
- Catch The Hundred Finals Day at Lord's: Cheer the winners from the men's and women's teams as the epic cricket tournament comes to a close. 3 Sep
- Visit Lambeth Palace Garden: Get a rare opportunity to wander the gardens of the historical palace that is the London home of the Archbishop of Canterbury. 2 Sep
For more things to do in September in London, download the Visit London app.
Find heaps of seasonal special events and activities with our ultimate guide to autumn in London. Alternatively, take a look at the handy events calendar and guide to what's on in London, including the best London theatre shows.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see this London weather page.