What's on in London in October?
- Have fun with the kids at top attractions this October-half-term.
- Join in the fun with Halloween celebrations across the city
- Don't miss the Dark Arts at Warner Bros. Studio Tour - The Making of Harry Potter.
British schools break up for a October half-term this month, so look out for special family activities at many London attractions. While Halloween ensures the month ends with a spooky feel with plenty of scary events and activities – see below for ideas.
London becomes a little colder in October as autumn splashes the city’s parks and gardens with a riot of autumnal colours, changing the vivid greens to warm coppers, golds and russet reds. Take a trip to Kew Gardens, Richmond Park, or other major parks to bask in the beautiful display of colours.
Top October activities in London
- See many of London's top attractions in one go with a sightseeing pass: The London Pass and the Go City London Explorer Pass allow you to visit multiple spots and save money.
- Discover the Dark Arts at Warner Bros. Studio Tour - The Making of Harry Potter: Go behind the scenes of the iconic Harry Potter films - but watch out for the Death Eaters...
- See the city sparkle on a London by night open top bus tour: Admire London landmarks and the picturesque Illuminated River.
- Or take to the Thames on a river cruise: Whether you explore on a one day roamer or whizz along the river on a speedboat tour.
- Hone your skills and learn from the very best at a masterclass: From immersive cocktail making at Ramsay's Bread Street Kitchen* to a sushi and sake Masterclass at Buddha-Bar*.
- Beat the cold with a relaxing spa day: Treat yourself or a loved one to a spot of pampering as the cold sets in.
Halloween in London
- Plan a frighteningly good Halloween in London: Enjoy themed events, family activities, tours and more of the best things to do in London this Halloween.
- Visit one of London's most eerie museums: Explore London's horrid history at museums such as the Clink Prison Museum and the Jack the Ripper Museum.
- Take on an immersive experience: Why not test your detective skills at Sherlock: The Official Live Game
- Go on a hair-raising walking tour to some of the city's most ominous neighbourhoods: Hear tales of the demon barber on a Sweeney Todd Walking Tour* or discover London's most haunted pubs*.
- Venture out of London on a Murder Mystery Lunch on Belmond British Pullman*: Indulge in five-course gourmet lunch before solving the clues to a deadly romance aboard the train, interact with the suspects as you try to figure out who the culprit is.
- Indulge at an unusual afternoon tea: Cast spells to retrieve your treats at Wands and Wizard Emporium* or feast on a Sci-Fi Afternoon Tea at The Ampersand Hotel*.
Check back nearer the time for more Halloween events and activities in London.
London Theatre in October
- Be thrilled by the gothic romance of The Phantom of the Opera at Her Majesty's Theatre: Enjoy spectacular sets and costumes at Andrew Lloyd Webber's award-winning musical.
- Be dazzled by the show-stopping songs and technical wizardry of Wicked at the Apollo Victoria: Witness the untold story of the witches in the Wizard of Oz.
- Marvel at the magic of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child at the Palace Theatre: Join the world's most famous wizard as he embarks on a new adventure.
- See the magical powers of Matilda at the Cambridge Theatre: Laugh out loud as the little girl from Roald Dahl's beloved book teaches the grown-ups a lesson.
- Don't be tricked by the eight potential suspects in Agatha Christie's The Mousetrap: Can you work out whodunnit in this classic murder-mystery?
- Attend a show at the iconic Shakespeare's Globe Theatre: See impressive performances of classics such as Much Ado About Nothing and King Henry VIII.
- Treat the kids to these top musicals: Sing along with the little ones as you watch your favourite shows on stage.
Unmissable events in October
- Make memories in London during October half-term: Find fun events and family-friendly activities at popular London attractions. 21-29 Oct
- Celebrate black culture and history at Black History Month: Enjoy free events, exhibitions, music and more throughout October.
- Celebrate the cultural diversity of London at Diwali, the festival of lights: Experience exciting performances and cultural activities in Trafalgar Square.
- Take part in the Royal Parks Half Marathon: Run for great causes in the leafy surrounds of London's beautiful parks.
- Attend the Southbank Centre's London Literature Festival: See prestigious authors, rising literary stars and inspiring speakers.
- Tempt your taste buds during the month-long London Restaurant Festival: Experience London's top restaurants, meet celebrity chefs and enjoy special one-off menus and food-themed events.
- Toast the return of London Cocktail Week: Sip on classic and new mixes at the world's largest cocktail festival, with events, discounts and tastings across the city.
- Or raise your stein at a London Oktoberfest: Celebrate Bavarian-style with live music, authentic German food and of course, beer at a number of venues across the city.
London exhibitions in October
- Don't miss Sarah Lucas at Tate Britain: See the British artist's exploration of what makes us human including sex, class and gender over the last four decades.
- Celebrate the work of Dame Paula Rego: Crivelli's Garden at the National Gallery: See the impressive piece inspired by the 15th-century Italian artist Carlo Crivelli's Garden. Until 29 Oct
- Journey through 50 years of incredible art by Philip Guston at Tate Modern: A fascinating exhibition that showcases a world in turmoil through abstract art. From 5 Oct
- See The Van de Veldes: Greenwich, Art and the Sea at Queen's House: A collection of artwork of life at sea, royally commissioned by King Charles II.
- Get interactive at Marina Abramović at the Royal Academy of Arts: Take part in the intense, physical encounters In the first major UK exhibition of the artist's work.
For more things to do in October in London, take a look at our events calendar and guide to what's on in London. Or discover plenty more seasonal events and activities with our ultimate guide to autumn in London.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see this London weather page.
Sign up for this monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.