What's on in London in October?
British schools break up for a October half-term this month, so look out for special family activities at many London attractions. While Halloween ensures the month ends with a spooky feel with plenty of scary events and activities – see below for ideas.
London becomes a little colder in October as autumn splashes the city’s parks and gardens with a riot of autumnal colours, changing the vivid greens to warm coppers, golds and russet reds. Take a trip to Kew Gardens, Richmond Park or other major parks to bask in the beautiful display of colours.
Fun family events in London
- Enjoy a host of events during October half-term: Take your pick from fun events and activities at London attractions. 16-31 Oct
- Explore London's top kids attractions: Entertain the kids and make lifelong memories.
- Book these iconic top 10 attractions: For a fun-tastic family day out in the capital.
- Sing along with the kids at these top musicals: Enjoy your favourite shows on stage.
- Mark the 20th anniversary of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone film: Marvel ata wand installation in Leicester Square (13-25 Oct). Or head to Warner Bros. Studio Tour - The Making of Harry Potter or the Harry Potter Photographic Exhibition to learn more about the films.
- Skate under thousands of twinkling lights at the National History Museum Ice Rink: Don't miss it as it returns for its final festive year.
- See larger-than-life illuminature at London Wetland Centre: Follow the nature-inspired light trail. From 22 Oct
- Check out KidZania's Middlesex County Cricket Club Experience: Get active and meet sporting heroes. 19-28 Oct
- Pick up a paintbrush and get creative at Family Art Day: Enjoy art, drama and play, as part of The Bloomsbury Festival. 16 Oct
- Adventure-seekers can join forces for an immersive treasure hunt: Solve cryptic clues and discover London's hidden secrets.
- Catch pop-up performances across the city with Pop-Up London: discover theatre, comedy, circus, dance and more over half-term. 23-31 Oct
Unmissable London events in October
- Enjoy fun events throughout Black History Month: Celebrate black culture and history throughout October. 1-31 Oct
- Don't miss the London Literature Festival at the Southbank Centre: Join talks, readings, poetry performances and more events. 21-31 Oct
- Check out the BFI London Film Festival: Catch films and movie-themed fun. 6-17 Oct
- Make the most of London Craft Week: Meet artists, engineers and designers. 4-10 Oct
- Celebrate Diwali, the festival of lights: Enjoy performances and cultural activities in Trafalgar Square. 23 Oct
- Hear from astronaut Tim Peake at Royal Festival Hall, Southbank Centre: Discover what space travel is really like with fascinating insights. 30 Oct
- Test your fitness at the Virgin Money London Marathon: Sprint past London landmarks or join thousands cheering from the sidelines. 3 Oct
- Watch the Six Day London cycling event in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park: See top cyclists speed around the famous track. 26-31 Oct
- Take part in the Royal Parks Half Marathon: Run for great causes in the leafy surrounds of London's beautiful parks. 10 Oct
- Touchdown at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium as NFL London Games return: Cheer on your favourite team. 10-17 Oct
Halloween in London
- Plan a frighteningly good Halloween in London: Enjoy themed events, family activities, tours and more of the best things to do in London this Halloween.
- Seek out spooky London attractions: from immersive experiences to haunted houses.
Theatre shows in London
- Book tickets to see Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Enjoy the magical adventures of the world-famous wizard as the show returns to the West End. From 14 Oct
- Groove along to Get Up! Stand Up! The Bob Marley Musical: Celebrate the life of Jamaica's iconic Reggae legend. From 1 Oct
- Laugh out loud with loveable rogues Del Boy and Rodney in Only Fools and Horses The Musical: The much-loved tv series come to life on stage. From 1 Oct
- See Romeo and Juliet at Shakespeare's Globe Theatre: Don't miss this classic tale of romance. Until 17 Oct
- Find more London theatre and book your tickets now: Don't miss the hottest shows as more West End shows reopen.
Art and museum exhibitions in London
- Visit the best museum exhibitions and art exhibitions in the capital: Get your cultural fix when it's cold outside.
- See Rankin's celebration of Theatreland broadcast across central London: Don't miss the world-renowned photographer's latest artwork. From Oct
- Check out Frieze art fairs: Discover world-class artworks and sculptures in the beautiful setting of Regent's Park. 13-17 Oct
- Visit galleries open late during Frieze's .
- See Tudors to Windsors: British Royal Portraits at the National Maritime Museum: Explore 500 years of history captured across five royal dynasties. Until 31 Oct
- Don't miss Chila Burman's “do you see words in rainbows” art installation emblazoned in Covent Garden: Discover dazzling neon sculptures. Until 31 Oct
- Be intrigued by The Great Picture Book of Everything at The British Museum: An illustrated encyclopedia by famous Japanese artist Katsushika Hokusai. 30 Sep-30 Jan
For more things to do in October in London, take a look at our events calendar and guide to what's on in London. Or discover plenty more seasonal events and activities with our ultimate guide to autumn in London.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see this London weather page.
Sign up for this monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.