Schools take a week-long half-term holiday in May. Choose from lots of family-friendly activities put on by top attractions this week.
Make plans for the two public holidays (bank holidays) in May with special events taking place over the long weekends.
Unmissable annual events usually include the RHS Chelsea Flower Show and the Eid Festival in Trafalgar Square.
In May, spring is well under way with warm weather and some delightful sunshine, but you may still need a light coat and a brolly, in case of a light drizzle.
There are also two public holidays (bank holidays) this month: the Early May Bank Holiday and the Spring Bank Holiday. So, keep an eye out for what’s on in London in May to make the most of the extended weekends.
Family activities and events in May
- Make the most of a whole week for half-term by checking out some of London's top attractions and the capital's popular kids attractions.
- Pick up a sightseeing pass, such as the London Pass, the London Explorer Pass or the Merlin London Attractions Pass to see multiple attractions in one go.
- Tour the city on an open-top or hop-on hop-off bus tour, or take to the river on a special Thames tour or cruise.
- Plan a Harry Potter-themed day out, including a visit to Warner Bros. Studio Tour London – The Making of Harry Potter, where the films were made.
Find more May half-term ideas.
Top London events in May
- Marvel at stunning horticultural displays, pick up the latest gardening trends and rehome a plant or two at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show.
- Check out world-class photography from across the globe at Somerset House's Photo London each May.
- Join the Eid Festival celebrations in Trafalgar Square every May, featuring family activities and street food from around the world.
- Admire the floral displays of the surrounding streets for Chelsea in Bloom or stop by Covent Garden to be wowed by Covent Garden in Bloom.
- You’re in for a treat, The May Fair at Grosvenor Square usually brings seaside vibes to the city on the early May bank holiday weekend.
- Celebrate the heritage of the capital with events, activities and exhibitions on London History Day.
Sports events in May
For more things to do in London in May, take a look at this events calendar and guide to what's on in London. And catch the best of the London stage with this London theatre guide. For on-the-go adventure ideas, download the Visit London app.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London Weather page.
Sign up for our monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.