January is one of the best months to visit on a budget. The January sales are on, so you can shop at some of London's top shopping destinations for less. Plus, many hotels offer reductions at this time of year.
London's attractions are quieter than usual this month, so it's a great time to enjoy a stroll around a museum and avoid queues at popular attractions. And, don't forget, many of London's attractions are free!
Make sure to wrap up warm when out exploring London in winter. Then, take refuge from the cold in one of London's cosy pubs, or enjoy a hot drink with a view on a heated rooftop terrace transformed for winter.
Unmissable January events in London
- Watch the spectacular New Year's Day Parade: Cheer on the marching brass bands, colourful performers and elaborate floats.
- Continue the festive frolics with New Year's Day activities in London: Make the most of the first day of 2022 in London.
- Enjoy fairground fun at Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park: Ride the carousel or brave the loops of the rollercoasters. Until 3 Jan
- Explore Hogwarts in the Snow: See the Harry Potter film studios transformed for winter. Until 16 Jan
- Go ice skating: Skate at one of London's temporary outdoor ice rinks, many of which are still open at the start of the month.
- Don't miss the Natural History Museum Ice Rink: Glide around the prettiest ice rink before it closes for the final time. Until 16 Jan
- Be enchanted by the outdoor illumination trail at Kenwood House: Experience a spectacular mix of light and sound. Until 9 Jan
- See wildlife sparkle at ILLUMINATURE at the London Wetland Centre: Follow the light trail and discover larger-than-life animals. Until 9 Jan
- Watch the latest works in film at the London Short Film Festival: Be moved by short stories captured on screen. 14-23 Jan
- Buy contemporary British art at London Art Fair: Browse works on display from more than 100 galleries. 19-23 Jan
- Toast to Burns Night in London: Mark the birthday of Scottish poet Robert Burns with haggis and tatties, bagpipes and plenty of whisky. 25 Jan
Theatre shows in London
- Roll up! Roll up! to Circus 1903 at Southbank Centre: Don't miss this spectacular show celebrating the golden age of circus. Until 2 Jan
- Catch Stick Man at Leicester Square Theatre: Join the loveable hero on his wintry adventure. Until 3 Jan
- Catch one last Christmas show or pantomime: Book your seats before theatres wrap up for the festive season.
- Expect the unexpected at Showstopper the Improvised Musical at Lyric Theatre: Beat the January blues at this all-singing, all-dancing extravaganza. 4 Jan-21 Mar
- Be mesmerised by The Nutcracker at the London Coliseum: Immerse yourself in a magical world at Tchaikovsky’s famous ballet. Until 8 Jan
- Marvel at The Prince of Egypt at the Dominion Theatre: Transport yourself to ancient Egypt for a mystical adventure. Until 8 Jan
- Laugh out loud at Mozart's comedy opera The Marriage of Figaro at the Royal Opera House: Follow Figaro's attempts to get his love down the aisle. 9 Jan-27 Jan
- Be dazzled by Cirque du Soleil's Luzia at The Royal Albert Hall: Be taken on a journey to Mexico and experience breath-taking aerial acrobatics and visual effects. 12 Jan-27 Feb
- See Hamlet at The Globe Theatre: Experience one of Shakespeare's greatest plays in the intimate candlelit playhouse. 21 Jan-9 Apr
- Spend an evening with Poirot: Join David Suchet to get the inside story on his role as the famous detective amongst other characters. Until 22 Jan
- Enjoy the unforgettable La Boheme at the London Coliseum: Follow the love story of a penniless poet and lowly seamstress in Puccini's romantic opera. 31 Jan-27 Feb
Art exhibitions in London
- Bags: Inside Out at the Victoria and Albert Museum: Follow the evolution and fashion trends of the ultimate accessory. Until 16 Jan Don't miss
- at the Royal Academy of Arts: See the artist's three famous bullfight paintings together for the first time.29 Jan-17 Apr
What else is on in January?
- Rise and shine for New Year's Day 10K race and 3K Fun Run in Hyde Park: Start your fitness resolutions with a fun run around the scenic park.1 Jan
- Celebrate the new year with New Years Day Proms at the Barbican: Enjoy an afternoon of classical music performed by the London Concert Orchestra. 1 Jan
- Don't miss the Mound at Marble Arch: Visit the Mound for the final time and enjoy scenic views of London. Until 9 Jan
- Observe the Snooker Masters at Alexandra Palace: See the professionals play all their trick shots. 9-16 Jan
- Get your teeth into The Shark is Broken at the Ambassador's Theatre: Discover the hilarious behind the scenes stories from filming of shark horror Jaws. Until 15 Jan
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see the London weather page.