- Celebrate Christmas in London with pop-up ice rinks, buzzing festive markets, dazzling Christmas lights and seasonal shows.
- Top December events include Christmas at Kew, Winter Wonderland, Hogwarts in the Snow and the London New Year's Eve fireworks.
- Plan ahead to welcome the arrival of 2020 during London New Year's Eve celebrations.
Get into the festive spirit during your December visit by experiencing some of London's favourite seasonal activities: shop for handmade gifts and festive food at a charming Christmas market; go ice skating on one of the stunning outdoor ice rinks that pop up across the capital; enjoy carols and concerts accompanied by mulled wine and mince pies; and watch a Christmas pantomime, ballet or family show.
December events in London
London's Christmas festivals and pop-up festive villages
- Explore London's biggest and most popular Christmas experience, Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park, for ice skating, an observation wheel and fairground rides, stalls brimming with handmade gifts, and exciting shows this December.
- Enjoy wintry activities, including a Christmas market, festive shows and seasonal food along the river at Southbank Centre's Winter festival.
- Find a festive haven in the centre of London's bustling West End with Christmas in Leicester Square.
- Browse twinkling wooden stalls, set against Insta-worthy views of Tower Bridge, at Christmas by the River.
- Tuck into street food, go for a spin at the roller disco and enjoy a line-up quirky Christmas activites at Winterville on Clapham Common.
- Find more seasonal activities for all the family at these top Christmas markets this December in London.
Top winter events
London sport events
- Stop by Covent Garden to watch teams in fancy dress battle it out in The Great Christmas Pudding Race.
Christmas Day and Boxing Day in London
Christmas Day and Boxing Day (25 and 26 December) are both bank holidays (public holidays) in London, with reduced opening times and transport service. But there are still plenty of things to do during this festive period:
- Get up early to watch brave members of the Serpentine Swimming Club compete for the Peter Pan Cup in the icy waters of the Hyde Park lake on Christmas Day.
- Shop for great deals on fashion, electronics and more during the Boxing Day and January sales.
- Find more things to do on 25 and 26 December in London, including tours, ice skating and events.
New Year's Eve in London
London’s famous New Year's Eve fireworks take place every year at the Coca-Cola London Eye on 31 December: buy your ticket in advance to secure a place at this popular London December event. Alternatively, there are plenty of other things to do in London on New Year’s Eve during the day and right through the night, from family shows and ice skating, to parties and dining on the river.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London weather page.
Sign up for our monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.