August is one of the warmest months of the year in London, when you can enjoy the capital’s many outdoor and open-air activities and make the most of the warm summer days.
You can make the kids' summer memorable by taking them to London's best theatre shows.
Unmissable London events August 2023
- Celebrate August bank holiday weekend (26-29 Aug) at Europe's largest street festival, as the iconic Notting Hill Carnival returns to the streets of west London. 27-29 Aug
- Go behind-the-scenes of the spot where some of the Beatles' best songs were created at Step Inside Abbey Road Studios experience. 6-13 Aug
- Dance all day and night to top DJs and electronic music acts at the Eastern Electrics Festival at the Lee Valley Showground. 27 Aug
- Feel the pomp at BBC Proms, an annual celebration of classical music at the Royal Albert Hall, which is in full swing in August.
- Attend a workshop at the Chelsea Physic Garden where you can enjoy a restorative sound bath, discover how to make a hot house for tropical plants and learn all about beekeeping.
- Immerse yourself in all sorts of artsy performances in south-east London during the Greenwich+Docklands International Festival. 26 Aug-11 Sep
- Fill your tummy with street food and sip on refreshing coolers at the Hampton Court Palace Food Festival. 27-29 Aug
- Treat yourself to a sensory celebration of all things sweet at the London Dessert Festival. 12-14 Aug
- Or cool yourself down by trying a new flavour at the Ice Cream Festival in Covent Garden. 19 Aug–4 Sep
- Join more than 100 producers at the London Craft Beer Festival in Tobacco Dock for a celebration of brewing. 12-13 Aug
- See top music acts at South Facing at the Crystal Palace Bowl including British singer-songwriter Craig David and drum and bass band Rudimental.
- Head to Greenwich Peninsula for their Summer Sessions that celebrate the best in dance, music, food and film every weekend this August.
- Don't miss The National Gallery's beloved Summer on the Square festival that promises creative fun for all the family with workshops, talks and more. 1-28 Aug
- Join the climate movement and help to raise awareness at the Southbank Centre's Planet Summer event that features inspiring talks, performances, music and fun family events. Until 3 Sep
- Get a behind-the-scenes look at the London Transport Museum at their brand new Hidden London tour.
- Relax on the deckchairs or take a dip at London's historic Royal Docks Summer Splash. 31 Jul-20 Aug
- Check out The Royal Parks exciting summer program for some outdoor fun including Discovery Days and Nature Roadshows.
- Grab a comfy corner of the blanket for an evening and check out London's best outdoor cinemas.
- Or get together with friends and dance under the stars at London's annual music festivals.
London theatre in August
- Don't miss out on Harry Potter and the Cursed Child and see this spectacular play for a discounted price this summer, exclusive to Visit London! Book by 31 July for performances until 27 September.
- Save up to 37% on all performances of The Crucible at the Gielgud Theatre until 2 September.
- Be dazzled by London's top theatre shows and see long-running musicals, classic comedy and innovative plays on the West End stage.
- Enjoy outdoor entertainment at Regent's Park Open Air Theatre, or head to Perform in the Park for a fun family show.
- Feel the warmth of the Serengeti as you follow Simba the lion cub on his adventures in The Lion King at the Lyceum Theatre.
- See the award-winning Matilda The Musical at the Cambridge Theatre, where one extraordinary girl takes on her terrifying headmistress Miss Trunchbull.
- Laugh out loud at the hilarious Mrs. Doubtfire, a brand-new comedy musical that brings the hit film to London's theatreland.
- Meet some of Britain's most colourful characters from its tumultuous past at Horrible Histories - Terrible Tudors.
- Don't miss the witty musical Crazy For You that promises a night of spectacular performance with a hilarious script and dazzling dance numbers.
- Witness the ground-breaking A Strange Loop at the Barbican Theatre and be entertained and moved by this thought-provoking musical.
- Spend a night revisiting the top hits of the world's favourite rock bad Queen at We Will Rock You at the London Coliseum.
- Get into the holiday spirit, as you are whisked away to an unforgettable Greek island wedding with Mamma Mia! at the Novello Theatre.
- Sing along to your favourite Rock 'n' Roll anthems at The Tina Turner Musical at the Aldwych Theatre, and see how the famous singer became a global superstar.
- Or see a play that keeps you on the edge of your seat as you follow the life and brilliant legacy of Dr Semmelweis at the Harold Pinter Theatre, one of the pioneers of modern medicine.
Fun things to do in August
- Find plenty of family fun in London with top tips on things to do during the summer holidays and top family experiences in London right now.
- Make the most of the extra day off during the August bank holiday weekend and discover many of London’s top attractions from your must-see list.
- Pick up a money-saving pass such as The London Pass or the Go City London Explorer Pass which give you access to multiple attractions.
- Tick off some of London's top attractions for kids, including movie magic at Warner Bros. Studio Tour – The Making of Harry Potter.
- Scale some of London’s most recognisable sights with the thrilling Up at The O2 climb or the Dare Skywalk.
- Stop off at key sights and attractions on a hop-on-hop-off bus tour and head up to the top deck for great views on other London bus tours.
- Or take to the river and discover key landmarks from a different angle, as you enjoy a boat tour on the Thames, including the popular Horrible Histories: Terrible Thames River Cruise.
- Laugh out loud at Shrek’s Adventure! London, an indoor walk-and-ride attraction inspired by the hit DreamWorks film.
- Get that perfect Instagram shot as you glide over London in the London Cable Car.
- Test your nerves as you cross Tower Bridge’s glass-bottomed walkway or book a special family tour.
- Feel each of the twists and turns on a high-speed descent through The Slide at ArcelorMittal Orbit.
- Discover how tiny hatchlings become gigantic tortoises and meet an array of wonderful wildlife from around the world at London Zoo.
- Go exploring in Croydon, The Mayor’s London Borough of Culture 2023 to find 30 eight-foot-tall (2.4 metres) giraffe sculptures dotted around the borough, part of the free Croydon Stands Tall art trail. 21 Aug-27 Oct
- Immerse yourself in underwater wonders at the SEA LIFE London Aquarium located on London's lively South Bank.
- Tip toe across the Treetop Walkway at Kew Gardens to experience the forest canopy and enjoy magical views of the gardens.
- Take an unforgettable Night Voyage aboard The Golden Hinde, the magnificent replica Elizabethan ship, where historical characters will bring this historic gem to life. 27-28 Aug
London exhibitions in August
- Discover the story of a music genre that has paved the way for some of the world's top Afrobeats artists that we know and love today at Fuji: A Opera at The Africa Centre. Until 28 Aug
- Soak up the sun and some culture in London this summer, with a world-class free museums and galleries across the capital. of
- Let the experts lead the way and uncover the history of an impressive collection at The National Gallery Official Highlights Tour with Afternoon Tea.
- Don't miss the Summer Exhibition 2023 at the Royal Academy of Arts, showcasing innovative works from emerging artists around the world.
- Visit the newly-renovated National Portrait Gallery for the Paul Mccartney Photographs 1963-64: Eyes of the Storm exhibit that showcases images captured by the musician. Until 1 Oct
- Be inspired at Isaac Julien: What Freedom is to Me at Tate Britain, exploring pieces by one of the modern world's most compelling artists and filmmakers.
- Discover the works of artists spanning the last 80 years, from post-war paintings to contemporary photography, at Capturing the Moment at Tate Modern.
- Marvel at the world's most extraordinary photographs of space at Astronomy Photographer of the Year at the National Maritime Museum. Until 13 Aug
- Celebrate the power of creativity from some of the world's most iconic performers at DIVA at the V&A Museum. Until 7 Apr 2024
- Immersive yourself in one of the most important music scenes in Nigerian history at FUJI: A Opera at The Africa Centre. 18-28 Aug
- See a different side to Peter Paul Rubens through more than 40 paintings and drawings throughout the artists career at Rubens & Women at the Dulwich Picture Gallery.
Check back closer to the time for more art and exhibitions in London in August.
More August ideas
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London weather page.