- Summer is in full swing in August with plenty of open-air entertainment on offer.
- August events include the Notting Hill Carnival, Film4 Summer Screen and Prudential RideLondon.
- There are lots of family-friendly activities during the summer holidays.
- The capital's main football season begins this month.
August is one of the warmest months of the year in London. Enjoy the capital’s many outdoor and open-air activities to make the most of the warm summer days.
Look out for children's activities at many London attractions, and take the kids to a top West End play or musical for free this month during Kids Week.
London's main football season kicks off in August. Experience one of London's great sporting passions during your visit by getting your hands on good-value tickets and soaking up the atmosphere at one of the capital's football clubs.
August events in London
Summer events in London
- Enjoy a summer evening at London's open-air cinemas, such as The Luna Cinema in iconic London locations or on the capital's largest outdoor screen with Film4 Summer Screen at Somerset House.
- Buckingham Palace opens up its magnificent State Rooms to visitors with tours and special exhibitions, while the Queen is away on her summer holidays.
Europe's largest street festival, the Notting Hill Carnival, comes to west London with a huge Caribbean party. Join more than one million people for three days of colourful floats, parades, music and dance over the August bank holiday (public holiday) weekend.
Top London festivals
- Head to the Royal Albert Hall for the BBC Proms classical music festival.
- Make your way to the south bank of the river Thames for the Underbelly Festival.
- Sample beers from the world's top breweries at the London Craft Beer Festival.
- Treat yourself to a sensory celebration of all things sweet at the London Dessert Festival.
- Check out more of London's top music festivals this August.
Unmissable London events
- Enjoy a night of Abba-themed fun with Mamma Mia! The Party, complete with Mediterranean food and dancing.
- Celebrate south Asian culture in London with Zee London Mela, featuring food, music and street theatre.
- Sail along the Thames and enjoy a champagne brunch with a Tunes on the Thames Ibiza-style chillout session.
Sporting events in London
- Watch fast-paced action as international hockey teams compete in the FIH Pro League.
- See the world's top riders and horses show jump as the Longines Global Champions Tour returns to Royal Hospital Chelsea.
- Take in the incredible atmosphere as two of Rugby League's top teams battle it out in the Coral Challenge Cup Final.
- Join the world's greatest festival of cycling with two days of two-wheeled fun during Prudential RideLondon.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London weather page.
Sign up for our monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.