Easter is celebrated in April (it sometimes falls in March).
Most shops are closed on Easter Sunday and there may be reduced public transport.
April events in London usually include the Feast of St George and the Sikh festival of Vaisakhi.
The London Marathon usually takes place in April, but is taking place in October in 2020.
The Queen’s official birthday is in June, but her actual birthday is 21 April.
By April, spring awakens London. As crisp sunny days and the first blossoms take over, the coldest months wave goodbye in favour of more sunshine and the occasional sharp shower.
Experience the city teeming with beautiful blooms in gardens and parks, or pop into one of London's city farms, zoos or nature reserves to spot chicks and other spring arrivals this month. Sit back on a boat trip on the Thames or treat yourself to al fresco dining on a sunny day.
Although London attractions are closed and key events in April have been cancelled or postponed due to coronavirus, there are still plenty of fun things to do in April from the comfort of your home! Our Virtually London guide is packed full of virtual tours, live performances and much more. You can also find things to do this weekend from home.
Or get a flavour of what's usually on during April below.
What are the biggest annual events in April?
- In 2020, Easter falls in April. Find out what's normally on offer over the Easter weekend. You can usually tuck into Easter-themed afternoon teas, and indulge at one of London's top chocolate shops.
- Try out new video games, play against professional gamers and hear from experts in the industry during the London Games Festival.
- You can normally celebrate England's national day in Trafalgar Square with the Feast of St George, including live music, food stalls, and a friendly dragon.
- Trafalgar Square also usually welcomes the Sikh festival of Vaisakhi in April with performances, arts events, food and family activities.
- Although the Queen celebrates her official birthday in June, her actual birthday is 21 April. Listen out for gun salutes in central London to mark the occasion: one usually takes place at Hyde Park and another at the Tower of London.
Fun and quirky London events in April
- Let your creativity run wild at workshops and exhibitions each April during London Craft Week.
- Perfect your latte-art skills for pretty Instagram shots, awaken your senses at tastings and share the love of the energising brew at The London Coffee Festival.
- Get a whiff of country life at the Country Living Spring Fair each March or April at Alexandra Palace.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London Weather page.
Sign up for our monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.