Join in the lively Irish celebrations with St Patrick’s Day events and activities in London.
Every 17 March, Ireland celebrates one of its patron saints, St Patrick, with a national holiday and a traditional feast. Although it is not a public holiday in England, London marks St Patrick’s Day with fun and spectacular events every year, usually on the weekend closest to 17 March.
In 2018, the festival takes place between 16 and 18 March, culminating in the St Patrick’s Day Parade in central London on 18 March.
St Patrick's Day Parade in London
Be amazed by flamboyant pageantry, elaborate floats, marching bands from across the UK, sports clubs and Irish dancing schools in the annual London St Patrick's Day Parade. The procession makes its way down Piccadilly from 12pm, on a 1.5-mile (2.4km) route, passing some of London’s most iconic landmarks, including The Ritz, Piccadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square and onto Whitehall.
St Patrick's Day Festival in Trafalgar Square
Watch St Patrick’s Day performances by well-known Irish acts, rising stars and special guests from 12pm in Trafalgar Square. Then browse the craft stalls, and tuck into traditional and modern Irish food from the market. A family zone on Pall Mall East hosts an array of free child-friendly entertainment, workshops and activities, including stilt walkers, magicians, games and storytelling, from 12pm to 6pm.
More St Patrick's Day celebrations and activities in London
- Celebrate St Paddy's Day with parties and Guinness in London's Irish pubs and bars, many of which are decorated in green for the occasion.
- See the works of acclaimed Irish artist Pauline Bewick at City Hall. 1-21 Mar
- Enjoy a traditional Irish celi filled with dances, food and whisky beneath the hull of Cutty Sark. 17 Mar
- Explore themes of identity with the #IAmIrish photography exhibition at City Hall. 14 Mar-13 Apr
- Tuck into a slice of indulgent Guinness cake at Balthazar’s boulangerie, and enjoy Irish-inspired specialities and cocktails at the restaurant and bar. 16-18 Mar
- Browse the stalls at North End Road Market for crafts and street food, and enjoy live Irish music and entertainment, from 9am to 6pm. 17 Mar
- Follow an all-female Irish music trail of seven acts across Camden Market, and tuck into Irish street food specials from Camden’s favourite traders. 17 Mar
- Stock up on top-quality Irish products as Borough Market celebrates St Patrick’s Day with Taste the Greatness of Northern Ireland. 14-17 Mar
- Join the Vault Festival’s Irish-themed gangster party, RUCKUS: a subterranean celebration set in 1918 London, featuring live music, game tables, DJs and more. 17 Mar
- Feast on traditional Irish dishes to celebrate St Patrick’s Day at The Montague. 17-19 Mar
- Head to the St Patrick’s Film Festival London 2018 to catch Irish film screenings. 16-18 Mar
- Pay a visit to potato crisp eatery HIPCHIPS to try some special Irish-inspired dips, such as Baileys and butterscotch, and stout rarebit. Until 31 Mar
- Find more St Patrick's Day events and activities in London.