Discover London’s romantic side with that special someone on and around 14 February, with our guide to romantic and quirky things to do for Valentine’s Day 2020 in London.
From Valentine’s Day dinners and champagne with a view, to exquisite flower festivals and adventures for two, impress your date with a romantic getaway to London this Valentine’s Day.
Dine at top Valentine's Day restaurants in London
- Be sure to book ahead for the best table in one of London’s romantic restaurants for Valentine's – the likes of the charming Clos Maggiore and the ever so pretty Sketch.
- Take to the Thames with a romantic dinner cruise or afternoon tea with City Cruises or Bateaux London.
- Surprise your date to a caricature drawing of you both as you dine at Orrery. 14 Feb
- Break the ice with a date in a quirky bar or restaurant on Valentine’s Day.
- Snuggle up by a crackling fire in a cosy pub.
- Woo your vegan date this Valentine's Day in London with a feast at vegan restaurants or venture to Broadway Vegan Market on 15 February.
- Spice up your Insta feed in the theme of love with a stop by at Instagrammable cafes such as Aubaine Mayfair, EL&N Market Place, Feya, Peggy Porschen and Dominique Ansel Bakery.
- Indulge in a 10-course tasting menu tailored to the heart at an intimate candle-lit dinner hosted by Petersham Nurseries in Richmond (13-14 Feb), or tickle your taste buds with a wine and champagne tasting at its Covent Garden venue (12 Feb).
- Splash out on a Valentine's Day dinner in a Michelin-starred London restaurant.
- Find more of the best restaurants for Valentine’s Day in London.
Indulge in Valentine's Day afternoon teas
- Combine the British classic with stunning views – book a pair of seats at the Valentine's Afternoon Tea Bus and enjoy the a feast, prosecco with views and a rose for your date all in one! 14-16 Feb
- Treat yourself to an extra-special afternoon tea in London on Valentine's Day – many venues create Valentine’s Day afternoon tea menus for the occasion.
- Feel the romance at The Ritz London as you delight in a St Valentine's Day Afternoon Tea.
- Indulge in a Charbonnel et Walker chocolate-filled afternoon tea at May Fair Kitchen.
- See iconic London landmarks such as the Coca-Cola London Eye and St Paul's Cathedral pass you by, as you indulge in a traditional afternoon tea aboard a bus tour.
- Surprise your loved one with one of London's unusual afternoon teas; from Sanderson's Mad Hatters afternoon tea, to mini burger nibbles at Bite Me Burger and colourful cakes at the pretty pink Sketch Gallery.
- Book a Valentine's Day afternoon tea now.
Enjoy a Valentine's Day concert in London
- See Carmen, one of the most popular operas of all time, as Bizet’s classic returns to the London Coliseum. 29 Jan-27 Feb
- Or hear Andrea L. rock her violin at 1901 Arts Club as part of Elysian Music Festival. 13 Feb
- Let Benoit Viellefon and His Orchestra teleport you to 1920s as they perform during their Swing Valentine Special at The Paris Grill. 14 Feb
- You don’t have to go to France to catch a Valentine in Paris, just head to the Royal Festival Hall instead. 14 Feb
- Tune into love-themed classical tunes from the likes of Chopin, Verdi and romantic films, as the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra present Orchestral Valentines at Cadogan Hall. 14 Feb
- Put some rock 'n' roll into Valentine’s Day with The Godfathers' Saint Valentine's Day Massacre at Dingwalls in Camden. 14 Feb
- Does your date love Kate Bush? Surprise them to Cloudbusting performing a tribute concert at Nell's. Book tickets to Cloudbusting – The Music of Kate Bush now. 14 Feb
- If they prefer Barry White, an evening with Shenton Dixon as Barry White will be right up their soulful street. Book tickets to Shenton Dixon as Barry White now. 14-15 Feb
- If you're interested in LGBT+ history, join Les Bougies Baroques for a Valentine’s Day gig at the National Gallery. 14 Feb
- Munch on special Valentine's Day menu then tune into Katriona Taylor's singing at the Toulouse Lautrec Jazz Club. 14 Feb
- Feel your heart flutter at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club's Valentine's Day night with Emma Smith, Ashton Jones and Jamie Safir Trio. 14 Feb
- Catch more of London's many concerts on and around Valentine's Day.
Cool places to go on Valentine's Day in London
- Enjoy one of London’s most romantic theatre shows or West End musicals together.
- Explore behind the scenes of Harry Potter's wizarding world at Warner Bros. Studio Tour London.
- Make it a classic night at the movies for under a tenner per person at the Vue West End cinema.
- Spend the day on an exciting London tour, finding romantic spots in London along the way.
- Illuminate this magical day of love further as you wander the trails of Lightopia Festival hand in hand. 22 Jan-1 Mar
- Lose yourself among hundreds of colourful flowers at the annual Orchids Festival at Kew Gardens. 8 Feb-8 Mar
- Prep a box of tissues for The Notebook (12 Feb) and Romeo and Juliet (14 Feb) screenings at the cosy, old-school Rivoli Ballroom pop-up cinema.
- Treat your special person to one of London’s most romantic shows, Pretty Woman – as it kicks off in February. 13 Feb-2 Jan 2021
- Study three versions of the famous Armada Portrait of Elizabeth I together for the first time with Faces of a Queen at the Queen's House. From 13 Feb
- Pick out a beautiful bunch of flowers at Columbia Road Flower Market on 16 February.
- Wander around museum galleries after dark with a glass of wine in hand at a museum late.
- Whisper “I love you” in St Paul’s Cathedral's Whispering Gallery.
- Visit Kensington Palace, the home of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and other royal couples before them.
- Watch a classic movie or the latest blockbuster in a unique cinema.
- Treat them to a spontaneous day trip to Paris, so you can celebrate in both cities.
Fun Valentine's Day workshops for two
- Bond over a Giant Arm Knitting class at Tea and Crafting Covent Garden, where you can create a giant blanket that's perfect for snuggling under on movie nights! 4 and 22 Feb
- Learn how to roll sushi and mix cocktails at masterclasses on Valentine’s weekend at Lucky Cat by Gordon Ramsay – do it together or surprise your one and only with your skills back home. Every Sunday
- Paint your own Picasso-inspired canvas as you sip on wine, nibble at a cheese board and enjoy a soothing creative evening at Hampstead School of Art. 14 Feb
- Impress your date with smooth moves at a fiery Tango Class at the Tango Academy, Covent Garden. 14 Feb
- How about Cooking with Cupid? Join a Valentine's Day cooking class with bottomless booze, a dinner and heaps of atmosphere at The Avenue Cookery School. 14 Feb
- Stolen someone's heart? Learn how to preserve it at The British Academy of Taxidermy’s Heart in a Jar class. 16 Feb
Quirky things to do on Valentine’s Day in London
- Laugh your heart out at a stand-up comedy show with Comedy Carnival at Covent Garden and Leicester Square or The Comedy Store.
- Challenge your date to a round of mini golf at Swingers Club or tech-filled mini golf at Puttshack.
- See how well they do on a shuffleboard at London Shuffle Club.
- Make it a Galentine's Day with a night at Magic Mike Live.
- Gift the special one a personalised piece of stationery from kikki.K at Covent Garden or treat them to a Charlotte Tilbury Makeover.
- Reach for the stars as you watch a themed planetarium show (8 and 14 Feb) at the Peter Harrison Planetarium after venturing out for a photo trail around Greenwich.
- Enhance your appeal (or not) at the London Valentine's Speed Duetting night at Lucky Voice Holborn, where first dates start off with a sing-off. You never know, it might just be the start of something new... 11 Feb
- Don’t keep your humour at bay – show it off as you speed date at the Valentine's Dating Against Humanity session, which involves the belly-aching game, Cards Against Humanity. 12 Feb
- Find a plant-based companion at Vegan Speed Dating. 12 Feb
- Spend a night at an immersive Cupid's Cabaret show paired with a three-course meal and a night of dancing at FEST Camden. 14 Feb
- Envelop yourself in touching letters from the likes of Che Guevara and David Bowie, read by stars including Kylie Minogue and Benedict Cumberbatch, at Love Letters Live at Shoreditch Town Hall. 14 Feb
- Teleport right into the giddy magic of the roaring twenties with scrumptious food, flowing drinks and an immersive show at Gatsby With Love at The London Cabaret Club. 14 Feb
- Become a Disney character for a night as you rave to magical tunes at Club Indulge's Disney Valentines Party, 15 Feb
- Burn off the Valentine’s Day chocolate later this month and join the Valentine’s 10K at Battersea Park. 22 Feb
Take in romantic views of London
- Sip on champagne as you soar above the Thames with the London Eye Champagne Experience, or blow the budget by hiring a private Cupid's Capsule.
- Choose from Valentine's themed Riverlights Cruise, Afternoon Tea with Champagne or a Dinner Cruise and glide the Thames with City Cruises. 14 Feb
- Take your date on a romantic walk around WWT London Wetland Centre just in time for sunset, then enjoy a three-course dinner, a wine tasting and gifts to take home. 14 Feb
- Watch the sun set over the capital from The View from The Shard, or see where else to catch golden hour in London.
- Hop on The Dutch Master Thames Cruiser for a special night full of reggae and views. Book tickets to Valentine's Thames cruise Ska and Reggae Special now. 14 Feb
- Take a stroll hand-in-hand to the top of Hampstead Heath, Primrose Hill or Greenwich Park for beautiful views of the London skyline.
- Enjoy dinner with a view high up at Sky Garden.
- Sip on cocktails at one of London's best rooftop bars.
Valentine’s Day ideas in London for the adventurous
- Hold on tight to each other on a Valentine's Day speedboat ride.
- See the city from above with a ride on the Emirates Air Line cable car Champagne Flight or splash out on a London Helicopter Tour.
- Grab a fellow couple or two and compete for victory (and delicious prizes!) during the BucketRace Valentine’s Day Couples Hunt – a great way to discover more of London! 15 Feb
- Whizz down The Slide at the Orbit after taking in the panoramic views together.
- Venture into the white water together at Lee Valley White Water Centre.
Go on a Valentine's getaway to London
- Treat your beloved to a weekend break in London for Valentine’s Day by booking a romantic London hotel, so you can make the most of London’s Valentine's events and activities.
- Tick things off of your bucket list as you explore the top 10 London attractions.
- For more romantic Valentine's Day ideas in London, take a look at our roundup of 101 romantic things to do in London and weekend itinerary for couples, or browse our guide to what's on for more things to do during your visit.
- If you’re in serious need of last-minute ideas, check out our guide to things to do in London this weekend.