Uncover the unique character of Croydon during The Mayor’s London Borough of Culture 2023.
This is Croydon presents a year-long programme of events and activities that places culture at the heart of the community in Croydon, situated just 15 minutes from London Bridge station.
Highlights of Croydon's events programme
- Celebrate the creativity of Croydon during Oratorio of Hope, its spectacular opening event filled with music, song, dance and spoken word, at Fairfield Halls. 1-2 Apr
- Learn about influential Croydonians who have helped shape the borough with Citizen UK: Caribbean Influencers at the Museum of Croydon. 14 Apr-21 Jul
- Get your groove on with dance performances, workshops and exhibitions as part of Commons festival at Stanley Arts. 15-28 May
- Discover the story of young Black composer Song in Recognition, inspired by Samuel Coleridge-Taylor, from Talawa Theatre Company. 1-24 Jun
- Learn all about some of the greatest music-making legends on the Croydon Music Heritage Trail. 17 Jun-31 Mar
- Take part in an exciting lineup of festivals across the borough this summer, including Croydon Food & Music Festival (2 Jul), Croydon PrideFest (15 Jul), Croydon Mela (16 Jul), Croydon Carnival (30 Jul) and Liberty Festival (1-3 Sep).
- Be captivated by an open-air performance of Alice, Through Wonderland, in the green surroundings of Wandle Park as the sun sets. 26-29 Jul
- Follow a trail of more than 30 giant giraffe sculptures decorated by local communities and artists with Croydon Stands Tall. 21 Aug-27 Oct
- Step inside some of Croydon's most interesting buildings during the Open House Festival and learn all about their architectural history. 6-17 Sep
- Watch Croydon move at Dance Festival Croydon, showcasing local artists, youth performances and workshops. 9 Sep-28 Oct
- Participate in an immersive takeover of Whitgift Shopping Centre as part of Super Normal Extra Natural. 6-8 Oct
- Listen to a musical performance by the National Symphony Orchestra of Ukraine, playing in the UK for the first time in 20 years. 18 Oct
- Enjoy a performance of Boundless Theatre's new show by young adults, House of Common. 25 Oct-4 Nov
- Marvel at theatre, dance and other performances as part of the sixth edition of the Croydonites Festival. 2-18 Nov
- Catch SAVVY Theatre's production of Pinocchio at Fairfield Halls, developed by local youth and community groups from across the borough. 17 Dec
- Celebrate original compositions by young local musicians during Young Croydon Composers. 22 Dec-23 Mar
Check out the events programme for The Mayor's London Borough of Culture 2023.
What is The Mayor’s London Borough of Culture?
Introduced by Mayor of London Sadiq Khan in 2017, The Mayor’s London Borough of Culture award offers more than £1m of funding for two boroughs to host a range of cultural events, activities and initiatives over a whole year.
In spring 2019, the mayor announced a second round of the competition with Lewisham winning the award for 2021 and Croydon for 2023. The two winning boroughs were selected from a competition that was open to all London boroughs.
The Mayor’s London Borough of Culture award brings Londoners together, putting culture at the heart of local communities, shining a light on the character and diversity of London’s boroughs.