Enjoy inspiring activities and events that put Lewisham and its community in the spotlight as the Mayor’s London Borough of Culture 2022.
The south-east London borough’s year-long programme focuses on the theme of climate change, encouraging locals and visitors to take action.
Highlights of Lewisham’s 2022 programme
- Don't miss Day One of Lewisham's celebrations, kicking off the year with an incredible lineup of live music, dance, events and workshops. 28 Jan
- Witness the UK premiere of Sun and Sea, an award-winning theatrical artwork that addresses climate change. 23 Jun-10 Jul
- Join three days of thought-provoking events, activities and performances from D/deaf and disabled artists during Liberty Festival. 22-24 Jul
- Move to the beat at a huge dance-off with more than 200 local performers celebrating migrants to the borough in Mass Dance. 1-31 Oct
- Check out Breathe: 2022, an evocative public light installation about air pollution. 30 Nov-14 Dec
- Head to Illuminations at Lit!, to see a larger-than-life illuminated puppet visiting Beckenham Place Park and make the most of the family funfair and festive food and drink. 20-22 Dec
- Listen to Rock Against Racism-inspired musical events throughout the year with Revolution Through Music, including performances by Dave Okumu, Novelist and Linton Kwesi Johnson. Various dates
- Explore Climate Home, a new creative space that’s low carbon and has been designed by young people.
The themes of climate change and celebrating diversity are deeply embedded in Lewisham’s London Borough of Culture programme.
Beyond these exciting London Borough of Culture events, there are plenty of things to do in Lewisham, from intriguing art galleries to gorgeous green spaces.
What is The Mayor’s London Borough of Culture?
Introduced by Mayor of London Sadiq Khan in 2017, the Mayor’s London Borough of Culture award offers more than £1m of funding for two boroughs to host a range of cultural events, activities and initiatives over a whole year.
Waltham Forest in north-east London was named The Mayor's London Borough of Culture for 2019, and Brent won the award for 2020. The two winning boroughs were selected from a competition that was open to all London boroughs.
In spring 2019, the Mayor announced a second round of the competition with Lewisham winning the award for 2021 and Croydon for 2023. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the 2021 award for Lewisham was postponed to 2022.
The Mayor’s London Borough of Culture award brings Londoners together, putting culture at the heart of local communities and shining a light on the character and diversity of London’s boroughs.