Enjoy a year-long series of events and activities celebrating Waltham Forest and its community, as the area is put in the spotlight as the first ever Mayor’s London Borough of Culture.
Throughout 2019, you can find activities in this north-east London area built around three key themes: makers, radicals and fellowship. You’ll discover events showcasing radical thinkers in the community, activities highlighting creative industries and initiatives bringing the local community together.
Highlights of Waltham Forest’s 2019 programme
- Feel inspired as Walthamstow hosts Art Night, an all-night festival of art, featuring a series of new commissions inspired by the local area. 22 Jun
- Visit the William Morris Gallery to explore the Bauhaus Centenary, which includes a six-month artist's residency and a major new exhibition. Jun-Dec
- Enjoy a global lineup of music, theatre, dance, circus and spoken word acts alongside craft activities, food and drink at the Walthamstow Garden Party. 13-14 Jul
- Watch local and international films in unexpected places during Leytonstone Loves Film, which also includes workshops, activities and music. 27-29 Sep
- Witness an impressive light installation celebrating the area’s natural spaces in Molecules on the Marshes by acclaimed local artist Zarah Hussain. Oct-Nov
What is The Mayor’s London Borough of Culture?
Introduced by Mayor of London Sadiq Khan in 2017, The Mayor’s London Borough of Culture award offers more than £1m of funding for two boroughs to host a range of cultural events, activities and initiatives over a whole year.
Waltham Forest was named The Mayor's London Borough of Culture for 2019, and Brent in north-west London won the award for 2020. The two winning boroughs were selected from a competition that was open to all London boroughs.
The Mayor’s London Borough of Culture award brings Londoners together. Putting culture at the heart of local communities, where it belongs. Shining a light on the character and diversity of London’s boroughs and showing culture is for everyone.