Enjoy a month of concerts, exhibitions, workshops and events this June, at the Mayor of London’s Sounds Like London festival.
Sounds Like London celebrates the capital’s grassroots venues, up-and-coming talent and music heritage. In the year of the centenary of the women’s vote, Sounds Like London also highlights the important contribution made by women in the music industry. It is part of the Mayor’s campaign for gender equality, #BehindEveryGreatCity.
Supporters and ambassadors include DJ Abbie McCarthy, and artists Vanessa White and KT Tunstall.
Sounds Like London highlights
- Fightback London: a series of gigs taking place in grassroot venues to raise money for the Music Venue Trust which directly intervenes to help music venues faced with closure.
- DJ workshops and showcase at Fabric: free, women-only DJ and producer workshops at Point Blank Music School, followed by a chance to showcase their skills at Fabric.
- Airbnb/Little Concert series: a number of live events showcasing emerging female artists, taking place in unique and unusual spaces across London, as well as grassroots music venues.
- Deaf Rave event at Fabric: live event featuring a range of producers, rappers and DJs shining a spotlight on the work of charity, Deaf Rave.
- BBC Music Introducing showcase: all-female line-up featuring artists from the flagship project, programmed by DJ Abbie McCarthy.
- Unique gigs and events: working with organisations such as Boiler Room and Bold Tendencies.
Fightback London gigs will also take place during festivals such as Camden Rocks and Bushstock.
Get involved in Sounds Like London
Apply to head up your own Fightback London gig with the Music Venue Trust’s Grassroots Promoter scheme, which is open to women under 25.
Check back soon for more information about Sounds Like London, and sign up to receive the latest updates.