Keep the kids entertained this October half-term with our pick of London’s best family events over the school holidays.
Plan your October half-term holidays with our guide to fun exhibitions, family events, Halloween-themed activities and exciting children’s shows. Book a room at a family-friendly hotel in one of these strategic London areas, and find out more about friendly restaurants your children will love.
October half-term activities in London
- Go ice skating in beautiful surroundings on the Natural History Museum’s open-air ice rink. 26 Oct-7 Jan
- Discover the origins of J.K. Rowling’s wizarding world with Harry Potter: A History of Magic at the British Library. 20 Oct-28 Feb
- Watch some of the world’s best cyclists race around the Lee Valley VeloPark, along with top musical entertainment and appearances from special guests at Six Day London. 24-29 Oct
- Meet favourite children’s TV and book characters including Peppa Pig, Fireman Sam and Sylvanian Families with live shows and special activities at Kidtropolis at ExCel London. 23-26 Oct
- Send the kids on a Paddington-inspired treasure hunt and spot some of the iconic London landmarks which feature in the new film from The View from The Shard. During half-term week, two children go free with every adult ticket sold. 21-29 Oct
- Create your own storybook inspired by the Poster Girls exhibition at the London Transport Museum, or join in fun storytelling sessions for all ages. 21-29 Oct
- Look out for other school holiday activities at London’s children's museums and attractions during the half-term break.
Family-friendly Halloween activities
- Make the most of Museums at Night, and take the family on an after-dark narrowboat cruise through the Islington Tunnel with the London Canal Museum. 28-29 Oct
- Trick-or-treat your way around the Museum of London’s galleries with the London’s Night Owls Halloween Sleepover. 27 Oct
- Take part in fiendish fun including meeting creepy crawlies, spooky storytelling, and arts and crafts activities at the Horniman Museum’s Halloween Fair. 28-29 Oct
- Enter the menacing world of the Dark Arts and look out for the Death Eaters as the Warner Bros. Studio Tour London - The Making of Harry Potter is given a Halloween makeover. 1 Oct-12 Nov
- Create art and crafts inspired by Alfred Hitchcock’s famously frightening films at The Ragged School Museum. 25-26 Oct
- Look out for other spooky children's activities as Halloween approaches.
Free half-term family activities in London
- Spot Paddington Bear at five fun, interactive pop-up book installations around the city. 23 Oct-3 Dec
- Join in free Paddington-themed activities at the Museum of London. 21-29 Oct
- Retrace the history of your favourite toys and games at the V&A Museum of Childhood.
- Give your little ones the chance to step into the shoes of a Roman with Liberiorum Londinium. Explore Roman ruins, learn about the food that Romans ate and pick up the odd Latin phrase on the free, family-friendly walk. 21-22 Oct
- Celebrate both Diwali and Bonfire Night with a carnival, fireworks, street theatre, music and more at London Mela presents Colors Festival of Fire and Light at Wembley Park. 28 Oct
- Find more free museums and activities for kids in London for a budget-friendly half-term.
October children's theatre shows
- Follow the adventures of Annie in 1930s New York with this family-favourite at Piccadilly Theatre.
- Treat the children to a smash-hit West End musical, from The Lion King to Wicked and the irresistible School of Rock.
- Experience the drama of London’s former Roman Amphitheatre with a free performance of Blood Rite, an atmospheric fusion of urban dance, hip-hop and digital animation at Guildhall Yard. 20-21 Oct
- Find more kids' shows in London.