Keep the kids entertained over the school holiday with a fun-filled February half-term 2020 in London.
With exciting museums, interactive exhibitions and brilliant theatre shows, you’ll find plenty of things to do during the half-term week in London to suit all budgets and ages.
Fun February half-term activities in London
- Queen Elizabeth I’s reign is in danger and there is only way you can save her: become one of her detectives at Hampton Court Palace! 15-23 Feb
- Enjoy a planetarium show and a wander around the Royal Observatory during Family Space sessions for half the price of a usual combined ticket (15-16 Feb) or give Ted a hand in planning a Holiday to Space (20-21 Feb).
- The Tower of London is recruiting for Knight School! Master the sword and sharpen up your knight skills, then see if you’ve earned your title. 15-23 Feb
- Discover the world of London's Signs and Symbols during half-term workshops at the London Transport Museum. 15-23 Feb
- Tune into storytelling at the Bank of England Museum to learn about the California gold rush and peculiar encounters at the Bank of England gold vaults! 17-21 Feb
- Join in fun kid-friendly activities at Lee Valley Regional Park, from ice skating to getting up close to farm animals.
- Wow the kids with a thrill-a-minute speedboat ride down the river Thames.
- Face your fears as you explore London's dark and scary stories at the London Dungeon.
February half-term in London for teens
- Meet Vincent Van Gogh through an immersive experience focusing on his hope, despair and inspiration. Book tickets to Meet Vincent Van Gogh now. From 7 Feb
- See iconic paintings of Elizabeth I displayed to the public for the first time in 430 years at the free Faces of a Queen: The Armada Portraits of Elizabeth I exhibition at Queen’s House. From 13 Feb
- London Anime and Gaming Con is coming to the capital, so get your besties together and dress up for a weekend of screenings, karaoke sessions, performances and parties. 14-16 Feb
- See the latest motorbikes, snap selfies with your favourites and go shopping for cutting-edge gadgets at The 2020 Carole Nash MCN London Motorcycle Show. 14-16 Feb
- If you’re more into classics, hop on the tube to Olympia London where The London Classic Car Show flashes vintage collectables. 20-23 Feb
- Peek at the props and designs from the Harry Potter films at Warner Bros. Studio Tour London, and check out the special exhibition during half-term.
- Treat your Insta feed to some colour... mesmerising lights festival Lightopia London is in full swing during half-term. Until 1 Mar
- Try out your detective skills with a Murder Mystery on the Hispaniola, accompanied by a mysteriously delicious three-course meal, special prizes and many surprises. 20 Feb
- Take older children to ArcelorMittal Orbit, where they can brave the world’s tallest and longest tunnel slide.
- You’ve escaped your studies for a week but now see how you respond when you're trapped in a prison van or in a room with a zombie.
Unmissable events during half-term in London
- Celebrate Chinese culture and save yourself a seat at various British-Chinese performing arts' shows at the Chinese Arts Now Festival 2020. 3-23 Feb
- Pop on your trendiest threads and take note of the spring must-haves at London Fashion Week’s shows, talks and displays. 15-16 Feb
- Treat your under-11s to 12 days of events and activities just for kids at Imagine Children's Festival. 12-23 Feb
- Time to practice your puddle-jumping skills! See if you can win at the London Puddle Jumping Championships at WWT London Wetland Centre. 15-23 Feb
More of the best things to do for kids at half-term in London
- Teleport to life 252 million years ago through Permian Monsters: Life Before the Dinosaurs at the Horniman Museum and Gardens. From 15 Feb
- Check out water-themed activities such as Monster soup puppets (16-17 Feb), Flood! (18-19 Feb), Row, row, row your boat (17-19 Feb) and more at Museum of London this half-term.
- Marvel at the Asiatic lions at ZSL London Zoo's Land of Lions attraction.
- Get your Sea Legs as you take charge of HMS Belfast’s course (17 Feb), challenge the family to a Family Mission: D-Day Edition or hear the stories of war veterans at We Were There: Meet Veterans and Eyewitnesses events at the ship (19 Feb).
- Watch your little ones try out different careers at KidZania.
- Discover the land of fairytales, immersive play spaces, events and more at little kids' heaven Discover Children's Story Centre.
- Gaze up at thousands of sea creatures at SEA LIFE London aquarium.
- Take a ride on a miniature train deep under London at The Postal Museum.
- Meet Shrek, Pinocchio and Lord Farquaad at Shrek's Adventure! London.
Children's theatre shows
- Embark on a journey through the wonders of ancient Egypt as The Prince of Egypt hits the stage. Book tickets to The Prince of Egypt now.
- Follow Jeremy's journey as he overcomes his insecurities in Be More Chill at The Other Palace. Book tickets to Be More Chill now.
- Book a show in one of London's top children's theatres during the school holiday.
- Catch one of the many fun and interactive family shows at the Royal Albert Hall.
- Sing along to much-loved Disney tunes at The Lion King.
- See Roald Dahl’s childhood classic Matilda retold on the London stage.
- Find more shows in London for kids.
February half-term money-saving tips
- Pick up a five-in-one Merlin Magical London Pass to visit some of the capital's most famous attractions, including Madame Tussauds, the Coca-Cola London Eye and the London Dungeon.
- Or enjoy access to more than 80 attractions with the London Pass – choose between the number of days and hop attraction to attraction, sometimes even skipping the line!
- Visit three, five or seven attractions with a London Explorer Pass, offering access to more than 20 London attractions and tours.
- Remember, children can travel for free or at a discount on London's public transport services depending on their age.
Fun and creative workshops for kids in London
- You’ve received an invite to a secret Potions Class at Cutter and Squidge’s Potion Room… will you join the feast and show off your wizardry? 15 Feb
- Under-5s can enjoy sensory play at the National Gallery's Studio Play sessions. 17 Feb
- Test your kids' creativity at a Cars, carriages and crafts workshop at The Royal Mews, where they can create a glittering coach or a car inspired by the vehicles within the venue. 17 Feb
- Let the little ones feel the First Taste of Spring at an arts and crafts workshop at the South London Botanical Institute. 18 Feb
- Dabble into Sand Art, Making a Bear or a tad bit of Wizardry at unique workshops at Eddie Catz this half-term. 18-21 Feb
- Unleash your inner Picasso at the Royal Academy's half-term workshops inspired by the Picasso and Paper’ exhibition, and craft collages enhanced by stop-motion animation. 19 Feb
Learning experiences for kids and teens
- Learn a thing or two about fixing your own clothes at London's wardrobe: repair and refashion with Fast Fashion Therapy class and tour at Museum of London. 15 Feb
- Join Funky Moves this half-term to spice up your breakdancing skills then show them off at a show on the final day of the Balham February Holiday Course. 17-20 Feb
- Ever wondered what life's like on the Moon? Find out Design Quest’s two-day workshop and even create your own base for humans to survive in! 17-18 Feb
- It's never too early to discover your culinary talents... Watch kids as they master pasta making at a workshop. 18 Feb
- Show off some dance moves to your favourite Frozen tracks at the Frozen themed Dance and Creative Workshop at The Half Moon. 18 Feb
- Help the kids to create their dream life, as they craft their own Vision Board. 22 Feb
- Bring to life an imagined community through street art in a two-day Design Day: Street Art workshop at the Royal Institute of British Architects. 19-20 Feb
Free things to do with the family
- Spark your imagination and unravel the wonders of science at the Science Museum's Wonderlab: The Statoil Gallery.
- See art come to life as it is created during the Watch this Space exhibition at the Lazinc Gallery. Until 7 March
- Discover interactive exhibitions and family-friendly fun at the Horniman Museum and Gardens.
- Visit the Museum of London Docklands to learn about birds through the Beaky challenge, help rebuild a London landmark with London Bridge is falling down or enjoy whiffy tales in The Great Stink! 15-18 Feb
- Dive deep into your imagination at Victoria & Albert Museum’s Imagination Station where you’ll get a chance to design the future of travel. 16-21 Feb
- Examine works by artist David Bomberg and Re-visit, re-work and re-view them with fresh eyes, creating a masterpiece of your own. 18-20 Feb
- Celebrate LGBT+ History Month through storytelling sessions, craft workshops and tours for the whole family at the National Portrait Gallery – as children explore the themes of diversity and acceptance. 20 Feb
- Learn how toys and games have changed over the years at the V&A Museum of Childhood.
- Take a look around The Lego Store and M&M's World in Leicester Square.
- Go for a stroll with the family in one of the city's best parks.
- Find more free museums and activities for kids in London for a budget-friendly half-term.
- Dine among tropical surroundings at The Rainforest Cafe.
- Enjoy a taste of America’s Deep South in the Forrest Gump-themed Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.
- Try some delicious global flavours by the river at Giraffe Southbank.
- Eat and bowl in one sitting at All Star Lanes this half-term.
- Play against your friends and family with more than 300 board games at Draughts London before feasting on burgers and wraps.
- Take a charming tumble down the rabbit hole with a Mad Hatter's afternoon tea.