On a budget? Make your money go further with these 101 ideas for cheap things to do in London.
- Buy a freshly cooked lunch from a stall at foodie paradise Borough Market.
- Satisfy your sweet tooth and indulge in handmade luxury chocolates and truffles at Prestat.
- Grab a tasty lunch, such as a burrito or mac’n’cheese, from a street food truck.
- Bite into a sweet or savoury pancake at My Old Dutch.
- Breakfast in Mayfair doesn’t have to be expensive. Eat a hot sandwich or full English at Cardinals of Mayfair, just off Park Lane.
- Tuck into piping hot chips and crispy battered fish at one of London's famous fish and chip shops.
- Eat affordable and authentic Chinese food in Chinatown.
- Munch a mouthwatering frozen yoghurt at one of the many Snog outlets in the capital.
- Treat yourself to a delicious pastry, cake or cupcake at one of London's best cake shops.
- Enjoy a tasty lunch that doesn't break the bank at one of London's affordable eating spots.
- Grab a burger at one of London's top 10 burger bars.
Off the beaten track
Fun for families
- Be wowed by aquatic life from around the globe in London’s oldest aquarium at the Horniman Museum.
- Meet goats, ponies, alpacas and other farmyard animals at Belmont Children's Farm.
- Experience the wonders of science first-hand with interactive exhibits and fun activities at the Science Museum.
- Discover a treasure trove of pre-historic creatures and fascinating galleries to explore at the Natural History Museum.
- Soak up the historical atmosphere at Sutton House, the Tudor home of Thomas Cromwell's protege Ralph Sadleir.
- Explore the home of Dr Benjamin Franklin, scientist, diplomat, philosopher, inventor and Founding Father of the United States, at Benjamin Franklin House.
- Visit the Hampstead-based home of Sigmund Freud and his family at the Freud Museum.
- Sup a pint in front of a crackling fire at one of London’s cosy pubs.
- Quaff a glass of wine at one of the candlelit tables at the cave-like Gordon’s Wine Bar.
- Celebrate London life with a glass of bubbly at one of the city's champagne bars.
- Opt for a mocktail during an alcohol-free night out in London.
- Sip a creative concoction at JJ Goodman's cocktail bar, the London Cocktail Club.
- Choose from the vast list of more than 400 gins at The Gin Bar at Holborn Dining Room.
- Take a load off, unwind and sit down for a purr-fect cup of tea among the resident cats at Lady Dinah's Cat Emporium in Shoreditch.
- Read a book over a pot of tea in Bloomsbury's London Review Cake Shop.
- Enjoy a half-price martini during happy hour at Dirty Martini.
- Get your caffeine fix at one of London’s top 10 independent coffee shops.
- Settle in for classic board games, shuffleboard and a vast selection of craft ales at Elephant & Castle hangout Spit and Sawdust.
- Stop for a brew and a chat in Terry's Café – a thoroughly British affair with a charming local vibe in Borough.
The write stuff
- Learn about one of the UK’s most famous novelists at the Charles Dickens Museum.
- Discover the story behind Dr Johnson and his dictionary at Dr Johnson’s House.
- See paintings, prints and relics belonging to poet John Keats at Grade-I listed building Keats House.
Walk the walk
- Hear the bloodthirsty tale of Jack the Ripper on a Jack the Ripper walking tour.
- Uncover the gruesome history of London by gaslight with the Sweeney Todd and Other Demons walking tour.
- Rent a deckchair in the summer at some of London's best parks, including Green Park, Hyde Park and St James’s Park.
- Swim in the historic men's, ladies' and mixed ponds on Hampstead Heath
- Stroll through scenic Richmond Park, home to free-roaming deer, ancient trees and rare wildflower species.
- Find your zen in the tranquil Japanese Kyoto Garden in Holland Park.
Time to travel
- Take a Uber by Thames Clippers boat from the London Eye to Greenwich.
- Glide above the Thames in the IFS Cloud Cable Car.
- Enjoy a cheap sightseeing tour of London by taking the 74 bus between Putney and Baker Street, via South Kensington, Harrods, Hyde Park and Selfridges.
- Take a canal boat ride from Little Venice to Camden.
- Complete your London experience with a ride in one of the city's black cabs.